Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
It will be on their Formula 1 track, which would hopefully be more interesting a layout than Daytona.

A second MotoGP event in the US cannot be a bad thing. Although Barber would be prettier.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Indy's F1 track is technical and fast. If MotoGP runs counterclockwise in order to remove the danger of a turn then so be it. Let's go to Indy and watch a double header F1/GP weekend.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If they want success, they should have a MotoGP at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah, that way the event would be closer to where most of the interest in racing is (west coast) The midwest, and of all places, Indy, is not the right venue, can anyone picture 150.000 cruiser riders lining up at indy for a road race? I do not think so. What about all of the safety issues? Miller has safety in spades, it was designed for motorcycle racing to start with.

I hope Dorna, the FIM and the AMA don't make a move they will live to regret.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I live in the midwest and don't ride a sportbike, but I would love to go to a MotoGP or F1 race. Ovals(NASCAR) blow goats.

I too know a lot of cruiser riders that are quite bored with ovals(NASCAR).

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
May, 2008.

100,000 fans watch as four riders take the MotoGP field after Michelin announces they can not guarantee the safety of their tires at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The four riders contesting the race were riding on Bridgestone tires.

Hell, why isn't this race going to be in Birmingham? Or EVEN Utah?

Indianapolis? Wow. :-(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you kidding? Another MotoGP in the US? Bring it on! The F1 course layout, length and that straight remind me of Tormo in Spain. How can this not be a great thing? What a great excuse to travel a couple hundred/ thousand miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think this is awesome! A venue that can handle the fans plus a fast technical track. Rumor has it they would run anti clockwise and run down the pit lane and head out on the exit/run off area. THey are saying two GP's in the US for that year.. Laguna is awesome but a nightmare to get that many fans into..

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amen to Barber. But I'm not familiar with the layout of the Indy F1 track to that might be a good venue too. And that would make a GP close enough for me to ride to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gak!!!! Has anyone been to Speedway, IN? It's ugly, uninviting and a horrible place to get close to the track. My vote is for the pastural (pastoral?) setting that is Road America or Barber Motorsports Park. They are both great destinations (like Laguna Seca), an awesome journey and great places to get close to the track.

Someone please stop the morons that want the world to come to Speedway!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
My vote is for the sub-orbital raceway Virgin Atlantic is building. What'll make it most exciting is when you slide out of grav controlled track and end up drifting in near zero-g. We can call in MotoZG. Can't wait. ;-)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
A second race is defininetly a good thing for MotoGP in America. The added noteriety of Indy is also a good thing. The TV networks will be more likely to be mildly stimulated.

I'm surprised to hear that the ratings for the ABC rebroadcast were better than expected, although I think that probably had something to do with the fact that the MC community knew that Hayden won and were probably eager to watch again. Plus, they must have picked up some fans who don't have Speed. I know I watched the ABC show because of the novelty and out of curiosity; I wanted to see how ABC handled it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Indy will be a very good motorcycle venue for those who attend. The place is too big. From the grandstands even the cars look tiny.

Miller, from all accounts, is a better venue even though Dorna/FIM seem to be trying to stay away from the West and capitalize on Hayden's geographical fan base. Barber is said to be not really ideal for MotoGP bikes--it doesn't have that one big straight that MGP favors. Maybe the 800s would work a bit better there, though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
YES!!!!! I have been putting off going to Laguna until they get all of their problems under control (water, over-crowding, transportation) now it is coming within 45min. of me! Indy can easily handle the crowds that MotoGP will bring in. Sweet!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'll watch online. If you can't see the cars at Indy how are you going to see the bikes. Another GP in the US great! But it should be done right, rather than right now. And my guess is that it will mean another race without the 125's and 250's. Sure it's sour grapes, when the tickets go on sale and I see how much a place to stay costs I'll feel better about my decision.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.