Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could it be a first post? Anyway, I have pretty hefty liability coverage and comprehensive (theft, flood, etc.) coverage on my SV650. I personally don't bother with collision coverage - if I crash into something, I'm willing to pay for it. Just not worth the amount of money it costs for a 20 year old male in my mind. I think the comprehensive is good to have (I live in the ghettos of Baltimore...well not quite, but you get the point) so your bike will be covered if it gets nabbed.

Just my $0.02,

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. Is this through Guido and Vinnie? I've got a couple of bikes (BMW, Ninja, dirt) that are fully insured and I'm paying less that $500/year for insurance through Dairyland. I'm late-30s with no claim and only one speeding ticket in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If you have payments you have to have full coverage. You can only get liability if you have paid the bike off. Shop around, shop around then shop around some more. Affordable coverage is out there if you have a clean record. If not then maybe a bike isnt for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's steep!! I'm 34 with a ZX9R and only one ticket and I'm paying about $300 a year for full coverage through State Farm. However, when I was 22, I had an FZR600 and it was running about $1000 a year. How old are you and what's your driving record like? Those are both big factors in the cost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pay cash for the bike! Or, at least see if you can get some source of unsecured financing at a decent rate and then forego the collision coverage. The way I figure, if I crash my bike so bad that I can't afford to get it fixed I probably will have other, more pressing concerns.

If you feel you want collision coverage look into policies with $1,000, or $500, deductables.

I second the thought from the previous post . . . if your rate is high because you are a high risk (accidents and tickets from running red lights) you may want to think about another form of transportation.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
How old are you? Guys under 23 or so pay vastly higher rates for bikes that are considered performance bikes.

I pay $180 per year for liability coverage on my GSX1100. But I'm 54 with 39 years experience and no accidents since 1972.

The only thing to do is shop around a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems if you pick a "non-obvious" sportbike, you've got a better chance at getting cheap insurance. I just bought my second bike last month, a 2003 Suzuki SV 1000S. With full coverage and $1000 deductable Im paying $830/yr. Im 22 years old with a completely clean driving record.

Im guessing my insurance company didn't realize that just because its a "naked" bike, doesn't mean it lacks sport pedigree.

As a comparison, a friend of mine has a SuperHawk, with 1 accident on his record... 3-4 years ago in a car. He pays the same ammount I do, but for only liability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It all depends on how the insurance company rates it's bikes. I have State Farm and they go by the CC's. I have my car with them too so that might be the rate they give their Auto customer's. So for me it's cheaper to insure a GSX-R 1000 then it would be for a Shadow 1100 even thoug the GSX is over twice as powerful.

You just have to check all the companies you can find. I know there used to be a site called riderpoint.com that would get quotes from 4-5 different places. When I used to check it a few years ago the prices varied by $1000/yr between some companies.

by the way I pay $50/yr for my '85 Kawi GPz 600r Ninja for liabilty.

Ducgroupie out

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
There are so many variables, it's difficult to pinpoint why your rate is so high. Could be due to age, driving record, location, bike classification, or insurer. I'd suggest shopping and comparing not only companies, but motorcycles that you can live with. It's nuts paying more for insurance than ofr the whole bike. My ZX9 is 360 a year with State Farm, and I'm old and stupid, but somehow managed a perfect driving record, so I guess that counts for something.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
They let you off easy seruzawa, because they figure your bike won't stay running long enough to put any kind of miles on it

I'm 45, no tickies or accidents and I pay $400 a year for my 1200 Triumph, about the same as I payed for my 1200 Suzuki.

My state farm agent told me they rate on engine size, being over 28, multiple vehicales and driving record.

If you finance the bike you'll need comp and collision, you might try a smaller displacement bike or having your car and homeowners or renters insurance through the same company, that will get some discounts going for you.

If you've got a crappy driving record you might have to settle for an older used bike.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Location is a good point that I missed, State Farm just did a general rate increase on the whole Puget Sound area. Even though I live in the boonies I get slammed for "geographical area" on my car, truck and bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 38, married, no tickets and I pay $25/mo. for full coverage on a 2001 VFR to State Farm. I also insure my cars and house with them so that's probably a factor too. I have received slightly cheaper quotes from other companies, but I stick with State Farm because they are extremely easy to deal with if you have a claim.

I've had my parked bike hit/knocked over twice in parking lots. That's why I carry full coverage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where you live is also a huge factor. In New York City, my XL1200s costs me about $130 a month for full coverage, 25k/100k per accident limit and $500 deductible. In Virgina, the same bike and coverage used to cost $30 a month. I have never gotten a moving violation. Also, when I was paying VA rates, I was under 30. Now I'm 30, so get the rate break. If I were 29, the New Yrok policy would jump to $165 a month, with the same coverage.

Why? New York has a high rate of claims due to the crowded roads, crazy drivers, potholes big enough to tip you, etc. NYC and NJ also have some of the highest rates of insurance fraud in the country. This means that regardless of how safely I drive, the external factors in NY mean I am more likely to make a claim here than I would in VA. And, in fact my experience has been this is accurate. In my first 6 months in NY, my bike was knocked over twice (once into a parked car, breaking the steering lock, ignition module, bending the bars, and smashing my windscreen), some drunk idiot broke my windscreen for fun, someone set it on fire, and someone took a hammer to the gastank. For all of these incidents, it was parked. I only made a claim for the fire. And this is in a good neighborhood, too (83rd and 1st for those of you who know the City).

Had I made claims for all of these, the insurance company would have paid for the value of the bike several times over, and would have lost big money over the premium I paid.

Compare this to zero incidents in the 10 years of motorcycling prior to my moving to NY.

So, despite being a safe driver, responsible, etc., premiums reflect much more than your driving record.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I SELL MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE FOR A LIVING. MY ENTIRE LIVING IS BASED ON SELLING M/C INS, PERIOD..

Don't listen to any of the crap you hear from friends that pay low rates. The fact of the matter is, if you choose to pay for comp/coll coverage it's going to cost you. Yes, State Farm has attractive rates, but there is a catch. First, you must put your auto with them in the very least. Second, anything over 1000cc and they are suddenly not so competitive. Third, you can't have ANY violations on your mvr, at all. There are companies out there that are re-adjusting there rating systems to reflect the fact that the ZZR is targeted to the sport touring market but don't expect immediate results. Every state has an insurance commissioner and the commissioner's office must support rate changes in their states in order for rates to raise or lower. If you can find a company that sells comp (theft/fire) without collision and you're comfortable with that then you will save money. If your lien holder will allow it raise your deductibles or carry only comp, you're fine. As, for the MRON that has Dairyland Ins. He's been with them long enough that rates are fine but DL over the last 18mos has re-rate the entire country so the low, low prices from DL are no more. Also effecting rates are dummies (usually between 18-24yrs old) that screw up thing for all of us and if you live in major metro areas where theft rates are high. So, bottom line is that you need to go to priceline.com (markel ins), my site acecycleins.com (if I cover your state) or find the bike shop in your town that has the highest volume of sales business and see who they use for their insurance needs.

By the way, you never gave your age or location so it's hard to tell how badly your being taken.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If yer buying a new Kawasaki and need financing, check out getting the Kawi Good Times credit card ... I just bought a ZX-6R and got a good chunk of the bike price 'financed' on it at 3.9%. You need to pay it off in 2 years (and not miss a payment, I'm guessing) or else get boned on a jacked up rate, but the big plus is no requirement for carrying collision.

Just for slits and grins, here's my insurance story ... Austin, TX / 33 / one claim / one ticket (4 yrs ago), got insurance thru Bikeline for about $400 for liability + comp w/$250 deductible. Throw in collision, and it was going to be $1000 w/$250 deductible.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.