Motorcycle Forums banner

Insurance?

7K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  dherrera999 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm doing some research on insurance and trying to decide whether or not to get a separate policy or just keep my Ducati on my State Farm policy, I got one recommendation for motorcycle insurance from UMU motorcycle, but their site didn't have a lot of information. Any suggestions/ reviews of UMU Motorcyle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#4 ·
State Farm? They're great until you get a ticket, then your policy goes into "double secret risk" status. At least it did with me...policy on a 24 year old KZ750 (liability only) went from $250.00 per year to $900.00

#7 ·
From the Authority

Unless you're driving record sucks don't make a move, yet. State Farm probably has you in the "old" rater system. Meaning: your rate is based on cc size, age and zip code. Every other insurance company under the sun rates based on bike category (litre sportbikes or better are not your friend). So, until you get a non-renewal notice or they change the rating format on you- STAY PUT!

When things look bleak because you can't talk your way out of tickets then give me a call.

Kirk

#8 ·
I was actually shopping for insurance today. I am currently with State Farm. My agent is actually a friend of mine and said that the multi-vehicle discount does NOT extend to "recreational vehicles." Perhaps she was mistaken, but she did tell me to check out Progressive. Progressive was in fact cheaper. Also, I got a quote from Nationwide which was actually the cheapest. The difference between State Farm & Nationwide is hundreds of dollars! I had to do a double take to make sure I was comparing similar coverage-apples to apples. Another note, State Farm & Progressive said that they do NOT offer a discount for completing the MSF's BRC; Nationwide DOES offer a discount. Lastly, I've been with State Farm for 16 years, and I know that they are good with processing claims. I know nothing of how well Progressive or Nationwide process their claims-maybe you get what you pay for.

#9 ·
Huh? I've got State Farm - none of the bikes I have are listed as "Recreational Vehicles".

Not that Progressive is bad Insurance - I've had it before, they Insure a lot of Motos.

Screw Geico........

#11 ·
"SO- to recap- sportbikes are great when rating on cc size like SF but just about every other bike in the known universe will be cheaper through anyone but SF."

Not always true. Nobody else can even touch their rates. I have looked around and State Farm has the best rates hands down. The other comapanies can't even come close.

#14 ·
I'll bet you a $25 gift card that if you send me a copy of your dec page within 1 hr I will find at least 2 companies that will write the same coverage for your bikes for less money than you currently pay. One caveat- no litre or better sportbikes- but everything else is one the table. Not only that but the companies will give you multi-bike discounts that SF doesn't do. They will also cover accessories on the bikes that SF doesn't do. They will also give you an option for tow coverage and safety gear coverage- that SF doesn't do. If I'm wrong you tell me what company you want me to go to to get your gift card.

#12 ·
Guys -- keep in mind that rate settings also differ because of locality. It is quite possible that State Farm may be the best where Longride lives, but not the best elsewhere.

Trying to compare insurance rates and coverage on a forum like this is not all that useful, because unless you live in the same zip code as the person who posed the question, you're likely to give info that doesn't fit.

#15 ·
Guys -- keep in mind that rate settings also differ because of locality. It is quite possible that State Farm may be the best where Longride lives, but not the best elsewhere.

Trying to compare insurance rates and coverage on a forum like this is not all that useful, because unless you live in the same zip code as the person who posed the question, you're likely to give info that doesn't fit.
Quite true. When I moved from L.A. to Utah my insurance rates for bikes and cars dropped to 1/4th the L.A. rate.

Another reason to stay away from that place.

#16 ·
Guess you have to talk to an agent at progressive. Whenever I have done their online quotes it was unbelievably expensive. They awanted $3000 a year for my KLR 650 and $5000 for my K12RS. I paid $238 a year on the KLR and around $600 a year on the BMW. The $600 is through Farmers and is grouped into the house, car and truck policy. Cant remember who I was with on the KLR, some never heard of company. Luckily I didnt need to file a claim.

#17 ·
My fiancee has state farm. About 3 months ago her Subaru WRX was hit when parked and messed up pretty well, broke some suspension stuff and bashed the rear quarter panel up. She went though her insurance gave them all the info of the guy that hit her.

She took it to a shop and it was there for 2 months. They estimated the damage at $8k but they didn't count replacing the wheels. One wheel was destroyed and they don't make those wheels anymore. Insurance is giving us a hard time and refusing to pay for 4 new wheels, they want to try and find a used wheel instead. There's also a crack on the windshield that wasn't there before, state farm doesn't believe us and says it wasn't from the accident.

We finnaly got the car back last week and it's still messed up. The doors aren't aligned very well there's a squeek that wasn't there before and the door that was closest to the impact won't open from the inside.

We complained to the shop about the alignment when we first saw the car. They said they'd work on it we came back a few days latter once they said it was done... still bad just in a new way. I complained again and they said it was as good as it was going to get. WTF? If they can't fix a car correctly shouldn't they total it? I'm not sure what to do now.. we're going to take the car back to an insurance adjuster I guess.

To top it all off the tow truck damaged the nose of the car towing it.

Anyway, after this I'm going to look into putting her on my AAA policy.

I have my bike insurance through AAA - full coverage $360 / year with a $100 deductible. This is for my Aprilia RS250, I think they must still go by the cc method there or it'd be higher with my couple of tickets and only being 26. I was hit by a lady that had progressive and they were very good about taking care of my bike. They cut me a check for $1200 same day. This was after my EX500 was backed into by a SUV while parked.

#21 ·
Just thought I'd add that I've had great luck with Dairyland. 6 bikes insured, the most expensive is $56 a year (amazingly a Ducati ST4s costs no more than my KLR, of course it stops in 1/2 the distance). That's of course for liability only. That's also for rural OR., so you So Cal guys are gonna cost more.

#26 ·
My insurance agent is a total hottie, classic 40 something in good shape, well dressed, confident, smells just right....when I sit there I have impure thoughts just like Jimmy Carter....

I have no idea what they charge me.....

#27 ·
Funny how...

My insurance agent is a total hottie, classic 40 something in good shape, well dressed, confident, smells just right....when I sit there I have impure thoughts just like Jimmy Carter....

I have no idea what they charge me.....
.... that works. you go in, minding your own business, looking for a simple comprehensive policy for your bike. You agent walks in dressed like CZJ in "Intolerable Cruelty". When the mist clears you discover yourself on the sidewalk holding not only a bike policy, but an annuity agreement, a 10 million umbrella policy and whole life. Well done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.