Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking up specs on a Bonneville T100 and the article said the below.

(36mm Keihin CVs with heating elements that warm the intake tract at ambient temperatures under 50 degrees)

Why would you want heating elements in carbs? Wouldn't you want the intake as cold as possible?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Intake too cold=intake charge condesing on port walls.

Intake too hot=intake charge vaporizing before entering combustion chamber.

Intake temp just right=optimized density of intake charge for maximum use of fuel/air mix.

Kind of like porridge and the three bears.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well as a former owner and year 'round rider of a New Bonnie I can say with some authority that they worked just fine in all temps and humidity/freezing temps. Whatever they are set at is in fact the correct temp.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh, please.

Well as a former owner and year 'round rider of a New Bonnie I can say with some authority that they worked just fine in all temps and humidity/freezing temps. Whatever they are set at is in fact the correct temp.
You don't think that anyone is interested in real live experience do you? Sheesh. This is MO fer crissakes.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's all emmissions related. Triumph engineers figured out that things vaporize better when heated. It was done as a stop gap until they figured out how to add EFI to the bikes and not make the system look like baboon a$$. Some hotshot took a 2004 bike and added the heated carbs to it when the new EU standards were about to be changed. When Triumph figured out that the bike could pass emmission standards they put off the EFI for 2 seasons to come up with a look that mimics the current look. In short, it was done to buy time for cosmetic reasons. Go figure.

You guys are interested in why I have this knowledge, huh? I was a Triumph Finance Mgr for a yr and asked the same question when I worked there in 2006.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
See Post Above..

You guys are interested in why I have this knowledge, huh? I was a Triumph Finance Mgr for a yr and asked the same question when I worked there in 2006.
Real world experiance and accurate information are frowned upon here at M.O.... What we want is wild guess's, outright lies and 4th or 5th hand rumors that you forgot half of and had to use your imagination to fill in the blanks...

Please try to do better next time, everyone knows carb heaters are infact itty bitty water injection nozzles like the ones in the back of Popular Mechanics that give you 150 mpg, they just can't call them that or they'd get sued by some bonehead in East Mackeesport who claims to have invented them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.