Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Is Harley

I can remember back 10+ years ago..... Harley had used the breathing room that Ronald Reagan gave them to develop the Evolution engine and soon...... they started selling bikes like crazy... and then we heard about the waiting lists, and the jacked up prices...... every yuppie suddenly wanted one.

And a decade ago, I heard people say, "It won't last" and "It's a fad". And I believed them. I thought, "Are there really that many people who want to pay over $15,000 for a motorcycle. Eventually everyone who wants one will have one and there will be a flood of used Harleys on the market".

But, I was WRONG !!!! There are just tons of guys out there who dream of owning a Harley, wouldn't think of riding anything else. And, these tons of guys are willing to pay anything to have their dream bikes. So Harley doesn't have anything to worry about, it has a virtual monopoly on a HUGE segment of the American motorcycle market. Furthermore, the people who make up this huge market share don't really expect much from Harley in regards to performance, innovation, comfort, handling ect. I'm not saying that Harleys don't have any performance, innovation, comfort or handling......... I'm just saying they don't NEED to. All a Harley has to do is look like a Harley and say "Harley Davidson" on the tank. I mean, nobody buys Harleys based on their stats or how they stack up against other bikes in magazine road tests. Most Harley buyers never seriously look at other bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Is Harley

IF, and it's a big IF , demand for Harley's starts to soften. Couldn't Harley just cut it's prices by thousands of dollars and still make a profit and stay competitive? I mean, I live in Japan, and Japanese labor is not cheap. Yet the Japanese can churn out big twins at much lower prices. Furthermore, the Japanese build a lot of bikes in the states, and those bikes are cheaper than Harleys too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.