Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This should be no big surprise to anyone

As the household stock value has plummeted and the economy is sliding towards a recession, people don´t feel that cash rich. It would be strange if HD could escape this - those guys who did not buy it last year when things were rolling how would they now?

Another thingie is that HD has sold extremely well the past few years and there are lots of them about. This will put some downward pressure on the used market.

Also there is the small matter of the introduction of VTX, a very desirable bike which simply clobbers the big Harleys on all the measurable qualities.

cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
LimeSqueezr: Did you not notice HD´s butt got waxed

>The VTX is one model, a muscle cruiser, which

>competes against only one Harley model

Yeah LimeSqueezr, but this HD´s "only one model" consists pretty much the entire H-D heavy lineup.

And as I mentioned, VTX does not beat the big HDs, but does that in an utterly devastating manner. Let me pull out my beloved dyno charts. Oh yes, here they are:

VTX has more torque *on the idle* than HD´s latest fuel injected 88 ci at any RPM. In fact VTX´s minimum point of torque curve surpasses handily the absolute maximum torque of the HD.

No flag waving, no moist eyed talk of heritage roots and grandpa´s ole sportster.

So the 100% fundamentalists will continue to buy the HD whatever the output is. But in the vast continuum of the pretty-much-HD-liking-people all the way to a-little-bit-HD-liking-people like myself this has been noted. If you want grunt its the VTX who dunnit. Totally devastating.

I think its about the time to check out if you could find some curve on the fender proving that VTX is a mere copy, LimeSqueezr.

cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
do all the engines sound the same

lemon, I hope this will not become a habit but I have to contradict you here too.

Valk does not sound like Subaru. You may not have noticed it but the sound of the four and six cylinder engines is entirely different (difference seems not to be large enough for all, obviously)

cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Re: LimeSqueezr: Did you not notice HD´s butt got waxed

I ride to work daily with my Royal, thank you for asking LimeSqueezr. I also get lots of extra points for doing that in Caracas, Venezuela. Traffic is infernal and there is no respect whatsover even to the most basic rules.

Back to the question about HD valuation. There is a lot of misguided opinion out there "they sell everything they can make". In fact, the production is carefully adjusted to create the waiting lines. This is purely a marketing gimmick – there is technical reason why they could not increase the production, say, ten-fold.

The waiting line - vaseline tax - perceived invest grade valuation scheme works beautifully as long as the desirability factor is high. And it has been. However, now is the first time in history that someone beat them in their own low grunt game – and with such a resounding manner.

When you park your HD 80/88 in front of local diner, next to your friend´s VTX (this is assuming you belong to the ultra-liberals who can even have friends with jap bikes), the chicas will probably like your badge more – and the looks of the VTX. But make no mistake, anyone knowing anything about biking knows who´s got the beef.

cruiz-euro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.