Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most people drop one in the front instead of increasing 2-3 in the rear so you can keep the same chain size. It's about the same result.

Don't care that's it's the first post !! What's the big deal with that anyway ?

Small things amuse small minds

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why would anyone want better acceleration on a big, fast bike anyway? You're already at the wheelie limit until 4th gear... Dropping one from the front of a 600 maybe, but they're pretty close to the wheelie limit these days too... My 06 GSX-R600 will try to lift the front in 3rd if I hit a very slight bump in the track when I'm using full power... It won't quite do it, but it sure does get light.

Chango

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually fewer teeth at the front would have the opposite effect. Adding teeth at the front would produce a 'higher' gear and reduce (slightly) accelleration. A small front sprocket will reduce chain life quite alot though, as the chain has to 'bend' more around a smaller sprocket. Mind you if you're going to wheelie on a 1400cc bike, I'm guessing chain life isn't a big concern.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey how do you like the 06 GSXR600 ?? From some of the reviews I've seen it's an awesome bike. I hear it pulls well very low in the powerband.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
It's the ratio is the key..get on a bicycle

Do you have a bicycle lying around...If so go get on it and figure it out yours self. By increasing the number of teeth on the rear you are lower the gear. By increasing the number of teeth on the front you are raising the gear... Verify that by getting on a bicycle and increse the number of teeth on the rear i.e. shift the rear derailer to the inside... Peddaling gets eaiser right. especially when you accelerate...However the downside is when you need top end speed you won't have it . i.ke Pretend you are the engine when you get on your bicycle.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
It's slippery slope you don't want go there Buz.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You should have paid better attention in math class.

Making the rear sprocket larger gives you lower gearing, which should improve acceleration. You can do this by adding 2 or 3 teeth to the rear or going DOWN 1 tooth on the front.

Most motorcycles have a front to rear ratio of "very approximately" 1 to 3.

Simple example: 15 front / 45 rear = 1/3.

Increasing the front sprocket would theoretically raise top-speed but diminish acceleration.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.