Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I'm not a big fan of 5 year old tires to start. All the other rubber would be covered under warranty. Price is the big question. I sold my '02 with a couple of mods for $5500(to a friend) about 1 1/2 years ago. A near perfect '02 can be bought for $4500-5000 without too much effort.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Some Things to Ask

I think it would be a great purchase, especially at a discount. But this bike was hardly overpriced five years ago at $7,899.

The most important thing to find out is where the bike was stored. Was it in a climate-controlled warehouse or outdoors in the snow and rain and heat? Look at the bike carefully. Look for rust on fasteners and look at the rubber parts -- brake lines, coolant hoses, tires, etc -- for rot and cracks.

If that stuff looks fresh and clean, then I'd definitely go for it. I sold some old crated bikes and I think they're stellar deals. Use the money you save for an extended Kawi warranty and new tires, or better yet, negotiate those things into the deal.

-Gabe

·
Registered
292 Posts
In the mid eighties I had a similar opportunity to purchase from a dealer a brand new 1982 CBX that was over three model years old. Fully assembled, factory bags & fairing, full factory warranty. I could get it out the door for about 2/3 of the original sticker price. I didn’t do it, and have been kicking myself in the butt for it ever since.

Take a lesson from a sore loser – if the price is right and you love the bike, go for it!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If the money is right- buy it. Many dealers have left over create bikes that they will bring out of mothballs to sell at reasonable prices. The thing has a manufatures MSO that has never been assigned. It has a FACTORY warranty that has never been in effect. Buy it.

My cousin (the guy that taught me to ride 25yrs ago) has had 2. Loved them both. They are easy to rack up miles on and if you put Racetec Goldvalves on the front and Works shock on back they even handle great.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Two things: I've never owned a ZRX1200, but I did have an '00 1100 and loved that bike. I offered it to my brother who wanted a second bike. After a much thought, he decided to pass.

He did come to regret it.

I replaced the ZRX with an almost three-year-old leftover Daytona 955i (not in a crate, though). It is basically the identical bike to the '04 leftover D555i and the new ones (except mine has the rare and "superior" DSSA) I was looking at. I ended up saving about up to $2500.

I've never regretted it.

Sure, I won't get high used price, but I'm not planning on selling it, even if I decide to buy a new bike.

Check it out throughly but is sounds like it could be a good deal.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What is the purchase price?

If the price is right it could be a great purchase.

1. How much are they asking for it?

2. How much are you willing to pay?

3. Where was the bike stored? If this bike sat in a warehouse here in Phoenix Arizona the tires are probably dry rotted and any rubber might be suspect. If in a really humid area such as Louisiana does the bike have any corrosion / flood / water damage? I understand it was in a crate, but, was that crate stored outside, under a shelter or tarp, or inside somewhere?

Also, didn't see anything about the battery mentioned but you can bet that it's shot if it's been sitting there for 4 or 5 years even if it's been in a good environment, ask for a new one or get a new one.

4. Are they going to honor it with a new bike warranty?

5. What are your intentions with this bike? Race bike, commuter bike, weekend only cruise bike, customize bike?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why are you asking these guys? How can it be a good buy if you leave no pricing info? Most of these questions MUST be answered by your dealer - not someone who knows nothing about this particular unit.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Most of us know a lot about the bike except the price. Why does that disqualify us from input on the subject? Just because price isn't mentioned doesn't mean we can give quality advise.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Barney

I like Deep Purple but I'm more of a Uriah Heep type of guy.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's completely rational to buy a NEW created bike if the money is right-

I'm the Bus Mgr (Finance guy) at an ATL bike shop- what money are you talking about?

Other than that it's a matter of personal comfort level, but I'll tell you this: It's much better to by a new 5 yr old bike than a used 5 yr old bike- Don't exactly know what you get with the Used bike and you know exactly what you get with the new one. Factory warranty, new everything, probably a sales mgr that will kiss your a$$ for buying the left over and a shop of technicians that get to work on a "not too complicated" motorcycle... you win.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.