Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought they were doing an 800 triple ?? Also I wonder if they're going to replace the 955 ?

It wouldn't suprise me if it looked a bit like the Kawasaki as it seems they use the same brake/fork/wheel suppliers. I would love to own one if they do it right. I've been eyeing the speed triple over at my local dealer since they came in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to www.t595.net and read through the rumor threads and then decide ..... Triumph honchos review that site frequently and post under psudonyms which make it interesting .....

Think about what they have in their line-up now and then ask yourself why would they want a 675cc Triple?? When they have done a good job on a 650cc four.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isnt triumph in part owned by kawasaki anyways?

But yeah, i think as a triumph owner, im glad to see triumph stepping up to the plate and showing a little originality and innovation, and giving those japanese manufacturers a reason to watch their heels. Im also wondering if triumph will replace the 955i. I myself own a centenial 955 and i am hoping theyre planning on using the new 1050 engine that they use for the new sprints.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The 650 isn't up to race performance, according to all the reviews I've seen. Maybe the Company wants to go racing.

AFA the 955 Daytona, all the poop I've seen is that the new Big Daytona will be a four, since again, the triple liter size mill can't, for some reason, make it against either the twins or the fours.

Concerning the "second bike", it would make a lot of sense for the new Trophy to come back. It would be relatively easy to build one off the Rocket III powertrain and chassis. Lord knows power wouldn't be a problem!

Off-topic, RANT ON...

By the way, you guys know how much I love my Sprint, but yesterday I helped a buddy install the bag kit on his '05 model.

I give the mounting kit an "A", but the bags are CRAP! If you put a FF helmet in just-the-right-way, it fills the bag.

The lids are way flimsy, and do not engage the seal even when the bags are empty. The new bags are a big step backward from the former models, mounts excepted.

Another b1tch is the bag kit goes for around $1K. The colored "inserts", which are the painted covers, are not included, and they cost another $150!

RANT OFF

Have a happy and safe 4th, y'all!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Here's the biggest reason: Because it allows Triumph to avoid direct comparision to the Japanese I-4s.

The 650 I-4 will always be seen as a band-aid and not up to the level of the competition, even though it's a fantastic bike. "Triumph had to add 50ccs of displacement to get into the same ballpark as the Japanese (minus Kawi) and the bike is still rated as last in class" is what the typical 600SS buyer is probably thinking. Silly? Maybe, but ask yourself who buys most of these bikes.

The triple will at least give them something unique and signature in the middleweight market and might offer some real advantages. Plus, Triumph has much more experience with the 3-cylinder engine than the fours.

Of course, all of this is rumor and speculation anyway. With all of the guessing and information/disinformation, we really don't have a clear idea of what's truth. That's usually the way the manufactures like it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I never heard anything about an 800. Originally, the talk was about a 750. The lastest, most persistent rumors suggest a 680 or 675. This would seem to make sense if Triumph was considering going racing again. But I've got to wonder whether that was a inference based on wishful thinking by people that were hoping Triumph would re-enter Supersport with a new bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 4-cylinder 650 Daytona is going bye-bye. You won't see a 4-cylinder literbike version of the Daytona, either. Twins and triples are Triumph's bread and butter. If they were interested in another 4-cylinder, they wouldn't have pulled the plug on the "Hayabusa Killer." Look for the new 675cc Daytona in September, along with a 1530cc Bonneville, based on a 2-cylinder version of the existing Rocket III engine.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I don't know about ownership. Anyone else know? I've heard that Kawi and Triumph do share tech and parts. There was even talk that the original test mules were in ZX-6R frames. I don't really know how much of that is true.

I've also heard that a Triumph rep has stated that there will never be a 1050 Daytona. Again, take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No four for the big Daytona.

Everything seems to indicate that Triumph does not want to take on the 4-cylinder bikes directly. I mean, look at the emphasis of the Triple on the new ST.

I think it would be a sound marketing strategy to offer something unique instead of constantly playing catch-up to the Japanese. They'd always be seen as being behind.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Triumph Racing?

I haven't done any reading on the subject, but I have my doubts about Triumph competing in super-sport competition. It's a lot of money, and they could end up getting spanked. I'm thinking that Hinkley might provide some incentives to privateers, and hope for the best.

I was rooting for a 750, myself, and that Triumph would go it's own way with the small triple - maybe going for a cafe' racer vibe. The bike looks like another cookie-cutter Jap bike, like we all need another one of those - and Triumph needs to compete in that arena: Shish! Anyway, I still hope it sells.

Can't wait for MO to do the test.

By the way, has Nostra Dumba$$ been behaving himself?

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Am I the only one who sees the mock photo as poorly photoshopped 636 headlights, windscreen, and wheels, GSXR 1K forks, and 600RR tail?

A 675cc triple sportbike would be pretty nice though... 750cc even better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Triumph is privately owned by a man named John Bloor, AFAIK.

It's very rare for competitors to share actual technical information directly. Most likely what happened is what's called "benchmarking." You go and buy somebody else's bike or component, and test it. No reason you couldn't do that with a frame.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: You're joking, right?

It could draw more attention in their cruiser efforts, which after all is where the money is in the U.S. market.

I've one acquaintance whose dream bike is the Rocket, but who could more readily afford a Bonnie variant. Maybe marketing thinks he's not alone.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: He's not kidding.

Doesn't make any sense though. The Bonnie is appealing because it is a retro looking air cooled parallel twin. An in-line water cooled twin in a Bonneville would be a very bad marketing move IMHO.

I could see them putting it into either the America or the Speedmaster maybe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
keeping up with the big four's 2 year redesign schedule is grueling, especialy when you control a much smaler peice of the pie, beter to pick up some originality break the mold so to speak. people will gladly sacrifice a little performance, (most likely they are not talented to have it really make a diference anyways, I know I'm not) in exchang for not getting lost in the parking lot, look how many idiots buy and customize harleys after that same effect. Triumph should change there marketing slogan to: "When you want something diferent"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.