It is really a shame since i was planning to go with some friends. I have been watching the turn of events closly and finally decided that it just was not going to happen. It appears that i have made a correct evaluation.
Wonder if that source was Cycle News yesterday??? Not only did they cover this aspect, but they also had an basic outline of the steps being considered to help lessen the financial crunch that is going to hit some of the locals who make the majority of their business profits on the TT and surrounding events.
However, unless this source was on the board(I believe of governors or some such thing) of the town and Isle(which I highly doubt), I wouldn't put much stock in this sources say-so... however, sources within those meeting to determine the fate of the event have not been optomistic(or should it be optomizitc... putting a "z" in place of an "s"... they're so cute at that wannabe-gangster age) about the event being staged this year. Personally, I think it will come down to a matter of cash that has to be shelled out. Will it be more to handle complaints and vaccinations and possible quarantines or to support a local economy for a year? How very Fight Club...
According to the island's very own news site (www.iomonline.co.im), a decision about the race has NOT been made. The meeting they held today apparently did not result in a final cancellation. It's now after 9pm there, so we (and the racers, and the tourist-support types, and so on) have to wait until at least tomorrow for more.
It's almost like you guys at MO just heard about this or something, and it was all news to you. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you think it's breaking news yet it still isn't final yet. I thought you all had the final word when I clicked this story, but it's just some guy who emailed you. I've been reading and hearing about the Isle of Man possible cancellation for over a month now, it's not final yet last I heard.
I hope you guys have a reliable source before speading this story. Everything I've read so far (including some of the comments) say that they had a meeting to decide yesterday and were going to announce today. Then today they said no announcement until they talk to some other politicians about it, so probably no decision until next week.
However, I haven't read anything that sounds very promising for it going through.
GOVERNMENT ministers have been sensationally gagged from revealing the outcome of a top-level TT crunch meeting.
In a bizarre move, leading politicians have been ordered not to speak about whether the TT has been cancelled or even if a decision has been made until Chief Minister Donald Gelling makes a statement to Tynwald next week.
From the story it sounds like there will not be a decision until next week.