Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd be guessin' that the TV coverage of the "Aisle of Men" would be "done blowed up" since there aren't enough ******** to watch it.

If Speed can put the entire American Lemans and the entire ARCA "thang" (It ain't racing)on - you think they could at least put Isle of Man on at 3:00 am or so and let us all TIVO it.

We need a real motorcycling channel sort of like the UK's Menandmotors.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
dare i say it? dare we all say that the placement of motorcycle racing in the monomental stink tank of the speedoneandonly channel by its' programming professionals reflects their own fears of falling down.

facts are facts. i prefer the fact that

there are very few events which rival the isle of man tt .

i prefer the fact that racing motorcycles on pavement is way more exciting than racing on dirt.

i prefer the fact that racing motorcycles on pavement with houses, trees and stone walls just a few inches from machines and riders traveling way way fast is way way more exciting than racing at daytona.

i prefer the fact that speed is dangerous and speed on a motorcycle is more dangerous than speed in a cage.

fact is, we who ride are a minority. on speed channel, the four wheeled world rules. i say let them have it.

a network just for motorcyclists would not only be more exciting, but with the higher measure of skill, drama, personalities and jaw dropping performance of the gear, we can watch impossible things happen.

we need more movies like Faster on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find myself buying Duke videos -- GREAT racing, but the production level is just a touch above amateur. None the less, Duke's Isle of Man videos are worth the watch (and the price), as is "One Man's Island," and for those who don't have the collections, the 3-disc boxed set of Bruce Brown's "On Any Sunday," "OAS Revisited," and the Malcom Smith DVD, along with the 2-disc "Faster" DVDs are must haves.

I guess coverage of the bikes (and particularly road race bikes) are consigned to red-headed step-child status here in the USA, but you have to wonder if a promoter with a LOT more savvy than the AMA might not be able to start creating something with a product as inherently exciting (and accessible to the regular guy) as motorcycle competition.

"Faster" is not at all a hard sell among my non-biker friends . . . . .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Pardon Me While I shoot My TV

With cable TV seeming to have everything from the Albino American Gay Experience to Professional Pie Eating on it's schedule, you'd think motorcycle racing wouldn't be that much of a stretch. SPEED (AKA: NASCAR Central) would gladly pre-empt motorcycle content if it caught-wind of Dale Jr. passing gas. It’s inconceivable that forty-odd, directionally challenged country boys, engaging in a high-speed conga-line, can possibly be that interesting. Personally, given a choice between one more inane "Aw Shucks!" driver interview and an in-depth report on fungus, on The Foot Fetish Channel, it would probably come down to a coin toss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about all of us e-mail Speed Channel and let them know they suck! While we're at it demand more motorcycle programing, and do it repetitivley until we get more motorcycle shows.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've said that before. Fox should go ahead and make the NASCAR 24/7 channel, drop the 20 hours of NASCAR that they have on Speed down to 2 or 3, and start showing racing again (gee, ya mean like the old channel was)

At least I'd like to see Speedtv start doing a racing news show that talks about something other than Nascar.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
We had a thread running on this forum a coupla months ago concerning SPEED, and the dearth of Motorcycle programming.

The bottom line is that the two-wheeled audience doesn't amount to a pile of beans to their audience demographic. We should be thankful we get TWT.

They can't get much in the way of sponsorship, either. As an indication of that, didja notice how long they were running American Thunder, sponsored by Indian Motorcycles after Indian went TU? Now the show's major sponsor is a minor "custom" motorcycle builder (Vengeance).

So, e-mail them and belly-ache all you want, but try to be constructive. That is, make your complaint, but offer a suggestion like the one above, to air the programming at zero-dark-thirty so we can tape/tivo it.

My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
955 Posts
A Little Quantifying Music, Please!

Putting together a road-racing channel would be a major hassle. As much as I love motorcycle road racing – and seeing more of it on TV, would be great – it does have it’s problems. First there’s the two major sanctioning bodies - the AMA and FIM. Then there’s the myriad race-series they control - AMA: Super Bike, Super Sport, Formula Extreme, Super Stock – and, FIM: 125Gp, 250Gp, MotoGp, Super Bike and Super Sport – not to mention, events like the Isle of Man (and any number I’ve missed). That’s a lot of racing to cover, continents to cross, executives to schmooze, sponsors to beg, and enough contracts to keep a law firm the size of Rhode Island busy for a year. While I’m not privy to this sort of information, I’m sure that every motorcycle publication (including MO) has crunched-the-numbers on fielding a cable channel. And I’m pretty sure that because of the above problems, it hasn’t happened.

On the other hand, NASCAR is a single governing body, with a manageable number of bothersome issues. Events, race series, race teams and drivers: all need to be kept tack of and kept in line. Another advatage to NASCAR is that it offers considerably more space on their cars, for sponsors to advertise upon.

Lack of space leads to another problem for motorcycle racing - identifying the bikes during the race. I’m an avid race-watcher, and I’m always losing track of who’s-who and what’s-what. For the casual viewer that’s gotta be murder!

·
Registered
955 Posts
We need a break-through event!

Thirty years ago, Billy Jean King played Bobby Riggs on TV. The rating were thru-the-roof and afterwards, tennis and tennis players were everywhere. That's why I've been hoping for Mladin to go to MotoGp, and go head-to-head with Valentino Rossi. Unfortunately, Mladin's getting up-there, and Rossi's preparing to bail.

Motorcycle road-racing needs something to hang it's hat on. A Big Event! Something Stupendous!

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Re: We need a break-through event!

How about coverage (or UN-coverage) of Angelina Jolie "learning to ride" her dual-purpose (welfare/humanitarian) bike?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.