Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I respect you, Bob.

But being myself a staunch Catholic, I ask you: Look at any map of the Holy Roman Empire under the Hapsburg family. Where's Austria? Switzerland? See how easy that was? Next Question?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I didn't ride my bike in Oesterich all that often, as I was on the opposite side of Switzerland. What was kinda cool in Switzerland, at least in my canton, was that the local newspaper reported where there would be photo radar set up. There were some permnant or sem-fixed locations and some portable units.

In theory, the idea was that the radar units were to make cars slow down in areas where there was a history of accidents (eg tunnels, bad curves, etc, and that only works if drivers know it is there. Of course, there was the side "benefit" in that this generally meant that locals did not get stopped cause they read the papers, thus only the out-of-towners get nailed. Just like S. Carolina.

I only got one ticket in 5 years, in my car, in one of those small village speed traps. Never saw the radar, but got a ticket in the mail about a week later. Cost me something like 25CHF (maybe $20 at the time) so I didn't b!tch much.

Except for the photoradar, the cantonspolitzei never seemed to care much about speed, at least up to 160kph ~100mph. Above that was an automatic license suspension (but still not reported to your insurance - what a country!). A friend got nailed that way and they gave him his choice of when to take the suspension -- he chose a period of time when he was scheduled to be on assignment in Lebonon on business for 6 months.

Cheers

Bob

21 - 23 of 23 Posts