Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: janklow 'on-duty' ?

I wonder how my boss would like that? I'll just go on vacation to Deal's Gap. I'll just say I'm "on duty" as I race around.

Think he'll buy it?

Even if the family does win a settlement in Fed court it can take decades for the govt to actually pay anything. Them pols sure take care of each other, don't they.

·
Registered
19 Posts

One more reason to ban Sturgis (sp?). And don't fret about the people who will lose money there, after all they voted him in (or they failed to vote someone else in)!

A large scale ban will send a message, the drop in attendance will hit the state in the pocket books. It will not change this case but it will send a clear message to other states the next time somthing like this happens.

·
Registered
270 Posts

One one hand, this could be good news for the family, as the U.S. government no doubt has deep pockets. They might even be smart enough to settle this due to the gross neglignece involved.

On the other hand, it appears to absolve Janklow of any financial responsibility, so 100 days (70 on daytime release) is all he gets for manslaughter.

Why is it that notion of personal responsibility only seems to apply when it's to the disadvantage of some working person or high school student? This is a truly disturbing example of how the system protects the powerful.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

It doesn't matter who has the deeper pockets. The idea that the government (and eventually us, as the cost will eventually be passed on to the taxpayers) should pay for his mistake is ridiculous.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

If I was your boss, I'd say it was ok.

You can go ahead and get that Tuono too. I was down at the local Italian dealership making vroom vroom noises on a Brutale on Saturday.

I've got the fever pretty badly and a potential buyer for the Duc.

Stay tuned.........

·
Registered
771 Posts

Afew things of note. It's my understanding that the federal gov, when forced to pay, does not have to pay for pain, suffering etc. So the family will, if lucky, get the estimated income that Mr Scott might reasonably been expected to earn in the remainder of his life. This would be well below any award that Janklow might be expected to pay to the family. If I have that wrong please correct me.

2nd - If this lame ass arguement of "on duty" holds up, we get to pay for this Jackoff's uck-fup, and he runs off free, with just his legal fees as a reminder.

I have not been to Sturgis in a decade or so, and I probably won't ever again, so you folks that plan on going, string up some effigies, do some fund raising for the family, or Mr Scotts charities, or something.

There has to be some good to come out of this. I have not been able to find it yet.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm no lawyer. But if Jackoff is "on duty" as a US Rep then he likely cannot be sued. You can't sue a US Rep based on the performance of his "duties".

I think Scott's family is screwed.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

I think you may have missed the salient point here seruzawa. This is a golden opportunity for all U.S. citizens invovled in civil lawsuits. As taxpayers shouldn't we all be considered as "on duty," and the government should indemnify us for any action taken, no matter how stupid? My guess is that at least one idiot that regularly posts on this site will make sure that the AMA lobbys hard for our collective right to be stupid. VWW

·
Registered
38 Posts

The article says that Scott's family is trying to keep it in state court because they could collect punitive damages, so I believe you are correct.

Nice to be told you can't collect for the pain & suffering, and that you, your friends and neighbors, and all taxpayers will be paying for any settlement you receive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
POS Jacknoff...and My Tax Dollars Well Spent

Since I am a Taxpayer and have paid some pretty hefty taxes to this point in my life, I have no issue with the Scott family receiving compensation from the Feds. And I get the pleasure of seeing that POS Jacknoff squirm some more.

Yes, Jacknoff has shown in textbook fashion just how above the law the few and the privileged have become in this country. Sad. He is the putrid, pudgy, poster boy of stupidity, arrogance, good ol' boy slap-on-the-back, screw everyone else at their cost kinda guy and the perfect example of what is wrong with this country.

·
Registered
273 Posts

In the U.S. military, when a service member is guilty of some sort of offense there is a determination made as to whether they were in the line of duty. You might think that 'in the line of duty' would mean that they were in the process of carrying out one of their responsibilities associated with their job. That is not the case. Being in the line of duty in the military is pretty much a 24-7 condition that everyone is in. However, one can be found not in the line of duty when their actions were beyond those considered to be within reason.

For instance, I have heard of one Marine that was denied benefits because he was killed in an accident where he struck a car while he was going about 140 mph on his motorcycle. In that case, he was not in the line of duty, due to his own misconduct. If the roles were reversed and he was going to the grocery store to get milk on a Sunday, and a car driver hit him, then he would be in the line of duty.

I'm not sure how similar rules might apply to other government workers, but it seems clear to me that Janklow was not in the line of duty due to his reckless driving.

Personally, I would like him to pay out of pocket to the Scott family for what he has done. The American taxpayer should not be responsible for his actions. Also, I'd like to see him die a painful death. Thank you.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
OK I'll do it. I'll bring it up again

OK you MOrons. Now do see the logic in a Sturgis boycott. First the S.D. judge slaps him on the wrist and then his pal U.S. attorney says "hey you were on duty they can't sue you". All the people in SD must be held responsible for this scumbag. They elected to Congress and to Governer. They enabled this behavior.

As George Bush said "We will hold states that harbor terrorists accountable" Well the state just happens to be one or our own South Dakota and the terrorist is the domestic terrorist Janklow.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I see a free Dyno Testing Session in your future, if you do indeed buy that Brutale -Sean

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Luke...

(heavy slow breathing) go on. Search your feelings. You know them to be true. Give in to the dark side. Buy the Brutale. Take it on the Alaska trip so we can all test it out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: OK I'll do it. I'll bring it up again

Uh, Kpaul, a US Attorney is not elected or appointed by the people of the state in which he serves. A US Attorney is hired by the Justice Department. You can actually go to the DOJ website to see job vacancies in US Attorney offices around the country. So, using your logic, we should boycott the United States as they hired the US Attorney who thinks the case should be moved to federal court. In fact, the US Attorney in this case, Tom Heffelfinger, is actually the head of the MN USAO. I am not sure why he has jurisdiction in this case -- my knowledge does not extend that far. But at least I bothered to check the information before commenting blindly.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.