Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may sound like fun to us...

...but to a racer, test riding is for, well, test riders. I'd bet that Kocinski is holding his nose and doing the job, hoping for a plum raceday assignment when the 4-strokes hit the track next year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey, what's going on here??? you forgot to say "First Post!

anyway, Kocinski landed what has to be the tiits job of the motorcycle world. forget the fact that it doesn;t stand a chance against the 2strokes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, just my opinion, but you need to check the lap times posted by Bostrom et al at last week's tests before you're so sure.

I believe he was faster than all of the GP bikes except KR JR.

I love 2 stroke GP bikes. I raced 2 strokes myself back when, but I still think 4 strokes will end up on top.

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: It may sound like fun to us...

When you can't (hold down a position that lets you?) race, you do the next best thing, surely? For we (or is it us?) who aren't or haven't been racers, it sounds like a fantastic job, but yes, it surely must be a step back in jonKoc's mind. That said, I have a huge amount of respect for the blokes that CHOOSE to test and develop, like that Aprilia guy whose name currently escapes me, and Peter Goddard (yes, I know, maybe not). Oh well, you do the job that comes closest to your dream, eh? Am I right here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats to Johnny. Sounds like a sweet job. Maybe we will see him racing next here. We need more americans at the world level. I was looking foward to seeing him aboard the Duck this season, it's to bad they couldn't come to terms. But I am pumped to see Slight here. I look for him to be a serious contender for the title.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey, that's why they actually HOLD the races... 'Cause it's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: 500cc v 1000cc... yeah right.

trust me on this one - 500cc 2strokes is all that's needed to beat the 4strokes. . just remember this - the 2 strokes have been detuned throughout the 90's to make them more rideable. if the 4strokes come too close, they may just have to uncork the 2strokes - and then the 4strokes will be F*ucked

·
Registered
356 Posts

Think about what you just said: 2strokes are restricted to make them more rideable....

Lets set up a theoretical situation here. Let us say that they have either a 500cc or a 800 cc or whatever size you want 4 stroke. This bike is pitted against a 500 cc 2 stroke. lets say the 4 stroke makes more power (be it by size or expensive technology). so then they "uncork" the 2 stroke to make even more power. I can tell you quite surely that the 2 stroke is gonna have a much stronger hit coming onto the pipe. This will be a diadvantage in the corners. The advantage it will have will be in the straights. Either way, the bikes will be evenly matched.

My point is that i think right now, the chassis and the tyres will not allow the added power of a 2 stroke to give it an advantage, not at the 200 hp envelope these bikes are pushing. So whether a 500cc 4 stroke makes 190 hp, and a 500cc 2 stroke makes 230, the difference in rideability, and the tires ability to grip will only mean the extra 40 hp is wasted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey, you in the second post:

what makes you think the two strokes are better tahn the four strokes?

the four strokes are stronger, not lighter, but only fall in some 10kg's so what? they are way faster, even bostrum can get to their lap times....

just think before you speak

·
Registered
203 Posts

let me amend that then - if the 4strokes come too close ON THE STRAIGHTAWAYS(because we all know lighter bikes corner faster(look at 250 gp)), then they will uncork them. whatever dude...it's gonna be exciting as hell to watch. i think the 4stroke public is in for a shock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doesn't stand a chance. Well, a four-strole just turned in a faster lap than the 2-stroke lap record at one of the GP tracks (it's posted in MO). Don't bet on the 2-strokes. They can't sell derivatives of them on the street any more. The money is in four strokes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i cannot believe that 4stroke fans are jumping all over this "fast lap" turned by Bostrom. its friggin practice man! first off, are you at all implying that a superbike could compete with a grand prix bike? is that what you're saying? becuase if you are, you are dead wrong. even bostrom himself would laugh at you if he heard that. second, 250's have turned faster laps at some tracks than the 500's. i guess that means that 250's are taking over, huh? boy, you 4stroke fans will jump at any scrap the press throws you huh?

·
Registered
356 Posts
just remember that racing is still win on sunday sell on monday. The manufacturers know this. their is a much bigger market for, and therefore more money in, 4 strokes. They will get more research than 2 strokes, and ultimately made to be more efficient and lighter than 2 strokes. They may not be now, but hey, that is where the money is.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, tell me this. Why, in F1 racing do they use 4 strokes? I have never seen anything in the rules that prohibits 2 strokes, but maybe i missed it.

Once they start using hydraulic or electrical valve actuation systems, they will be able to have infinitely adjustable intake and exhaust valve timing. Combined with todays fuel injection and ignition systems, i think they will indeed give 2 strokes a run for their money power and weight wise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.