Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's a reminder that Canada has various ethnic names. After the Du Hamel family and Picotte, we were beginning to think that only people with French names would come south to ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey maybe he is willing to take a chance. The first person to bring a h-d to the podium will become a national hero. i know what your going to say "whos this retard writing this crap", but i like rooting for the underdog. buy the way in the 70's h-d ruled the track, and everyone else was trying to keep up. i like to see that again someday.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Jordan Skoze may achieve some success, but it won't be this year. The Harley was out of date when it was introduced, and it hasn't gotten any more competitive. Skoze would have just as much luck on an air-cooled, hard-tail flathead as he will on the VR1000.

But seriously, Harley should ask themselves a question before proceeding in superbike competition. The question is, "Who are we kidding?" And the answer, sadly, is no one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I Just Don't Get the HD Roadracing Effort

I currently own a Harley and it's a great bike for what it is. I like to see American products do well. I think HD is a great manufacturer for their niche. I simply do not understand, however their roadracing efforts. In general, their customers are not at all interested in (some would say are even vehemently against)roadracers and roadracing. They have no intention of putting an HD racer on the market, and roadracing technology doesn't exactly go hand in hand with cruisers. (Although, clip-ons and inverted forks on a springer would be amusing...) HD folks do like their horsepower, but they like it to go in a straight line, and to involve as much chrome as possible. Why is HD doing this?

If they want to spend the bucks on roadracing, why not develop on the Buell platform? They could sell Buells that way, and might be able to come up with something competitive after a couple of years. They're not selling cruisers throwing money at the VR, that's for sure, and I can't see the VR1000 ever being a serious contender. I just can't figure HD out on this one. HD does what it does very well, but I think they're trying to teach a pig to fly with the VR.

-Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: I Just Don't Get the HD Roadracing Effort

Very few people understand what they are doing. I have seen some improvements in HD product since they have started racing, and that is why many companies race.

The Buell would be a better place to start. Not with the bike but with the name. that would seperate the road racer from the cruiser.

Buells don't sell because the dealers suck! The mistake of putting Buell into Harley dealers has made a very neat bike into a non saleable pig. The buyer of a Buell is a diferent guy/girl from the HD buyer. They want service and some one to guide them through the store. Not some one who sits behind the parts counter and points in the general direction of what they are looking for. Not every one knows what they need or are looking for.

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Some people like to ride a bike that the parts are not massed produced in some southeast asian sweatshop!!!!"

Um...sorry, no. Visit a Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha manufacturing plant in Japan. You will NOT find a sweatshop; you will find one of the most state-of-the-art facilities on the planet for motor vehicle manufacture.

And if I was more concerned about depreciation than the quality of my motorcycle, I would put the money in Wall Street and ride a bicycle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wish Jordan the best of luck. He is a great rider and can definately hang with the top AMA Pro riders, (but not on a VR1000). Too bad he couldn't put together a privateer effort or get on another team.

I watched every AMA race this year and most of the Canadian Superbike races. The most amazing thing I saw out of all the races was at the opening round of the CDN series at RaceCity in Calgary. Steve Crevier passed Owen Weichel coming out of the Bus Stop. That move alone was definately top 3 for the year, but then Szoke attempted to pass both Steve and Owen as soon as Steve attempted the pass. They were three wide coming out of the Bus Stop on the last lap. Jordan was mostly on the grass since only one bike can comfortably fit through the exit. Jordan almost highsided as a result of that move, but saved it and finished second!

Jordan did some limited time on a Ferraci Ducati a few years back. He did well but was too young then, but now he has the experience.

kman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jordan is still very young. He just wants the US exposure. I think he might have done better if he stayed with Honda Canada and got them to send him to a few AMA racers with his RC-51. Crevier did Daytona last year, why not send done Szoke.

kman

·
Registered
29 Posts

HD is also using Buell for all the wrong reasons. I feel sorry for the Buell dealers, they aren't too sure who or what they are.

HD is using Buell to attract new riders, not sportbike riders. They saw that the crustier market is stale, yet the sportbike market is in strong double digit growth. They are trying to capture some of the sportbike markets growth with the Buell Blast. HD then hopes to convert these Buell riders into HD Cruiser buyers (so they can slam them over the head with their huge markups). This strategy doesn't rely on Buell making competitive sportbikes.

I don't think this strategy will work. Buell's are considered sportbikes. Someone buys one they will be displeased with the price to performance ratio compared to the Japanese bikes and will most likely migrate to a Japanese OEM for their next bike.

kman

·
Registered
29 Posts
They sure do. lol

Kurtis Roberts CBR929RR was built, in part, by a Canadian ;^) (Hi Rick)

Come to think of it, Emgo Valvoline Suzuki's tuner was a former Canadian Tuner of the year. (Hi Rob)

kman

·
Registered
29 Posts

I agree with you on most points. I'm not knocking the X1, just HD's plans for Buell. The X1 is a step in the right direction. HD considers the X1 a transition bike after the Blast on the way to a HD cruiser. Thats not good model IMO.

The current Buell niche is also threatened by the Ducati M900 S4. 100hp Vtwin naked sportbike out of the box.

kman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Jordan Szoke Signed to H-D Racing/Hypocricy?

HD might be better off to use a Rotax engine like Aprilia. Look how well they have done in only two years in the WSBK with an outsourced engine. Of course HD fans might be upset that the VR was powered by a non-HD engine, but at least with Picotte riding won they would get on the podium and probably win a few :^)

kman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.