Motorcycle Forums banner

Judge Rejects Bike Ban.

9K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  longride 
#1 ·
"Gated communities are a pox upon the earth.--Pete "

So the US should enforce no border controls at all? ;)

#4 ·
If a gated community votes to ban bikes, let them. If a person wants to live like a sheep, he should obey the shepherds.

I let my AMA membership lapse for one year because they got involved in one of these cases. If the rider wanted to live sealed off from the rest of us barbarians, he should have accepted that more security = less freedom.

#6 ·
The problem is that in many places there are almost no alternatives. When I lived in Florida, I lived in a gated comunity that barred bikes and pickup trucks. Every single community around was the same, and the closest "free" place did not have a paved road. I could not stand it there and ultimately moved away.

There was no choice - it was either you live in a gated community or you live out there with the gators. The gated communities are set up by builders from the get-go to have HOA's that bans bikes, to "class-it-up".

Our vehicles already have to conform to the federal, state, county/city/town governements. Adding a non-government institution like the HOA to this list is plain wrong.

In reality we are becoming "America - the land of the formerly free".

#7 ·
Re: Here comes the Judge...

Hey, I live in a gated community, it's called "Burbank". Step out of line, and you in a heapah trouble, boy.

At least the bike cops have switched to Beemers. If you're going the other way, they have to pull a 3 point u-turn to catch you. Slows 'em down some.

Picture El Segundo, but worse.

#8 ·
Personally, I think owners of private property should be able to ban anything they choose on their own property.

In my opinion this should include groups of owners such as this home owners association.

I most certainly dictate what happens on my own farm. I see no difference for this group of property owners. We own and operate an equine rescue operation, we host trail rides and 4-H groups. So, for us restrictions on motorized vehicles are needed to prevent spooked horses from hurting people.

#12 ·
Restrictions on personal activities that have the potential to be disruptive to peace versus a restriction due to gender, race or sexual preferance are very different things.

It would be more reasonable for this community to ban vehicles with a noise above a certain level. The EPA noise level for motorcycles I believe is much higher than that for cars.

I don't disagree that loud motorcycles (especially custom chopper with basically open headers) are very irritating.

#14 ·
Time to celebrate the victory by puttin' on the straight pipes and ridin' on down to the polo match. I bet Biff and Veronica will drop their cucumber sandwiches faster than a pool boy caught throttling their daughter in the cabana.

#16 ·
Well, you could always move to Amish country and then you would have no need to ban those pesky motor vheicles. Have you noticed that the police use horses to patrol on citeis an they don't spook. Maybe it's the skittish horses you have.

I personally feel we should ban horses since they cause so much methane pollution and their waste fouls the roads and trails for the rest of us.

There's usually at least two sides to a story. I was trying to make a point. Just don't be a fascist.

#19 ·
Umm, those examples are protected classes under the US consitiution. Let's stop with the sanctity of private property stuff, OK?

Let's face it, gated communities are desigend to keep "those" people out and to homogenize the residents to the absolute lowest common denominator.

If they ban motorcycles, they have also banned motorcyclists, who happen to be some of my best friends. No, thanks. No thanks to suburbia as well. Culturallly devoid of any redeeming value AFAIK. My $.04 ( hey, inflation)

#20 ·
Then don't live in Florida, duh! Florida is just a scary place as far as I can see. Condos and gated communities. The only place I like is Miami and that's because of the Latin influence, rather than the crakcers in the rest of the state. (I realize you said "lived".) There's always an alternative. But I do agree with not letting HOA have this power since they can be fiefdoms for power mad residents who otherwise feel powerless and impotent. There, I feel much better now!!

#24 ·
The point really is we don't want the practice to become commonplace, otherwise they'll be limiting motos, other vehicles and who knows what else and it'll just be accepted norm.

Better to promote a please keep you bikes, cars, trucks, etc. in an acceptable decibel range for such communities (whatever that is, since leaf blowers are a accepted scourge in my opinion), rather than an all out bike ban.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.