Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: LEO's discretion

I agree.. When I got my ticket for passing on a yellow line. I actually popped a wheelie as I speed past. The sheriff deputy gave me a break and dropped the speeding and reckless driving part.

· Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Read about wheelies in a book...

How many laps do you want me to beat you by?

· Banned
3,775 Posts

I'm a anti-Bush Republican... Bush isn't a real Republican with his big deficits and reckless foreign policy.

· Registered
138 Posts
No but it is 'Careless Driving'

Here in NJ the judge called it Careless Driving when I wheelied at a stop light. Less serious but a slap on the wrist of a lively teen rider. Was many years ago, lesson learned.

· Registered
89 Posts
Re: Judge Weighs Whether Motorcycle

From the article it wasn't clear whether they were really wheelyiing, i.e. balancing on the rear wheel, or just lifting the front whee off the pavement under acceleration. The latter certainly shouldn't be illegal. In fact it's hard to avoid on my RS250 when it hits the power band in 1st gear.

Willow Springs Raceway bans the real kind of wheelying; so that would be a pretty good argument for calling it reckless on the street.

· Banned
3,775 Posts

HD discount

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

So, you're saying "No officer, it wasn't a wheelie. I was just accelerating and the powerband hit and my wheel accidentally raised off the ground."

Yeah- sell that. Sure it would work.

· Registered
127 Posts

Power wheelies should be legal. Let's compare wheelies to slides. Laying down thick black stripes while drifting a 300ZX, spinning your GTO's tires till they catch fire, and doing donuts should clearly be illegal when performed with a car. But if someone's rear-wheel-drive vehicle skids on slick pavement when turning, that should not be punished with the same severity, or even punished at all. Similarly a small or accidental or otherwise innocuous wheelie should be ignored, but you never know: like anything, it's up to the officer's discretion. Usually with a wheelie like that it's the NOISE that grabs the officer's attention, and then the wheelie just becomes the pretext for the traffic stop, and then the stop becomes a reckless driving ticket if they see you have priors or otherwise don't like your attitude.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Laying Drag- illegal. Power siding a car on public roads- illegal. Donuts on public roads- illegal.

You don't have to hit the powerband so hard on a bike to raise the wheel just to leave a stop light. Ask anyone who's got more than 5 yrs experience riding.

Break the road rules- get caught and get a ticket. It's just that simple.

Anything else qualifies as SQUIDLY

· Registered
514 Posts
Re: H1

lets not get carried away, I had a Kawi Mach 3 & a Suzuki 550GT and while those two-stroke triple beasts were king back in the day there's NO POINT on the power curve where any of 'em could match any current 600cc supersport

they just SEEMED more powerful thanks to the crap tires, suspension and brakes

· Registered
1,229 Posts

You may want to consider a change of tack before taking to the track with experienced Riders... talking too much trash... If you want to complete any laps... think squaring off a berm... with you being the berm... just a little heads up... if you show, don't you know.

· The Toad
17,449 Posts

Do you think you've ever seen anyone who lies so obviously and consistently in your entire life? I haven't personally seen "several" Sportsters wrecked in 40 years or riding.

· Banned
3,775 Posts

That would be unsportsmanlike thus the results would be void.... I won't be intimidated though..

· Banned
3,775 Posts

What lies? clarify?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.