Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Everything you do carries an opportunity cost: you can't do something else instead. You've got to ask yourself how does washing an oil filter rank in your list of things.

- cruiz-euro
Yeah, but if you check their website, you'll see they have an accessory bypass valve that allows the rider to dispense "burnout oil" to the rear wheel by merely pulling a lever on the handlebar! This could be just what you've been looking for...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You guys can kargue about kburnout oil all day. I still have to kcome to kgrips with K&P Engineering.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Everything you do carries an opportunity cost: you can't do something else instead. You've got to ask yourself how does washing an oil filter rank in your list of things.

- cruiz-euro
Exactly... that's why I don't use an oil filter at all. Who wants a filter to change anyway?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
In what way is a washable oil filter new???. manufacturers went to disposable spin on's because they got tired of people complaining of having to wash out their oil filter elements in the 60's.

My 1980 FLH and my 1978 XLH both had super tight woven mesh oil filters. I though it was pretty cool, just swish them around in gas and let them dry every 1000 miles or so and off you go. It was attached to the bottom of the oil tank cap...lift it out, drain the oil tank, swish the filter around let it dry while you refill the oil bag and there you are, 10 minute oil change.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ah yes.

In what way is a washable oil filter new???. manufacturers went to disposable spin on's because they got tired of people complaining of having to wash out their oil filter elements in the 60's.

My 1980 FLH and my 1978 XLH both had super tight woven mesh oil filters. I though it was pretty cool, just swish them around in gas and let them dry every 1000 miles or so and off you go. It was attached to the bottom of the oil tank cap...lift it out, drain the oil tank, swish the filter around let it dry while you refill the oil bag and there you are, 10 minute oil change.
You must be one of those techno-phobes. I'll bet you don't worship BMWs either. Heretic!

There is always something nice about the ease of dry sump oil changes. No futzing around banging your knuckles and trying to loosen the freaking drain nut down there amongst all that exhaust plumbing. Especially after warming the engine like you are supposed to.

You can't use this on an HD anyhow. You need at least 5000 micron mesh or the loose chunks of piston will just plug it up .

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Oil filter washing is great hobby

>In what way is a washable oil filter new

This is exactly the point. The clocks are turned back fifty years by this fantastic new innovation.

Another lame try is "Performance Filtration in an Environmentally Friendly Package". One should wonder where the gas used for rinsing goes. The time honored way to dispose cleaning gas is to pour it on ma's rhododendron. Unfortunately its getting unfashionable these days. With all the heavy metal deposits in it. I have plenty of iridium in my fat boy engine, for example. Thats why it genereates heaps of power and provides tremendous jet-like acceleration.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
956 Posts
>In what way is a washable oil filter new

This is exactly the point. The clocks are turned back fifty years by this fantastic new innovation.

Another lame try is "Performance Filtration in an Environmentally Friendly Package". One should wonder where the gas used for rinsing goes. The time honored way to dispose cleaning gas is to pour it on ma's rhododendron. Unfortunately its getting unfashionable these days. With all the heavy metal deposits in it. I have plenty of iridium in my fat boy engine, for example. Thats why it genereates heaps of power and provides tremendous jet-like acceleration.

- cruiz-euro
Yup it's all about the "waste stream". It is far easier for me to dispose of drained and crushed oil filters than it is for me to dispose of "contaminated fuel". What you haven't been to Federal Environmental Compliance Officer Training? What's your name and where are your national ID papers?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Yup it's all about the "waste stream". It is far easier for me to dispose of drained and crushed oil filters than it is for me to dispose of "contaminated fuel". What you haven't been to Federal Environmental Compliance Officer Training? What's your name and where are your national ID papers?
That's what the lawn mower is for, it converts contaminated fuel into a nice cloud of blue smoke and a neatly trimmed verge..

·
Registered
956 Posts
I should have said at work. Now I think I'll go and look for a kerosene powered lawnmower.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ha!

I know how to dispose of the toxic crap. The local dump has a free toxic disposal site for residents. I pour the gasoline from cleaning K&N filters, etc. into an old gas can. Twice a year I take all my toxic waste crap.... old oil, old filters, flashlight batteries, paint, etc... to the free disposal site. I do it in spite of the Gorebots not because of them.

Europeans should all know how to recycle their old toxic products already (starting with Das Kapital). You'd think so they way they are preaching their self-righteousness all the time.

The fact that the toxic waste dumps put everything on a ship to be poured out into the Indian Ocean is not my problem!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.