Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.I have a 2007 Vulcan 500.I THINK the chain is a bit lose.Bear with me,this is the first motorcycle I have ever owned.I read the owner's manual about checking and adjusting the slack in the chain,and it didn't make much sense.The owner's manual says," roll the motorcycle until the chain is the tightest and check the tension between the engine sprocket and the wheel sprocket."So I called the dealership service department and asked them,and they weren't much help either.
Can anybody tell me exactly how to check the slack on the chain?
Thanks.

-B

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
1-2 inches slack on a nicely lubed chain should do it. Always worked for me...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
First off if the idiots at a bike shop can't explain how to adjust a chain they are either incompetent or are just pretending so as to get you to bring it in so they can charge you to adjust the chain. In either case avoid that shop.

Put the bike up on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. Spin the rear wheel and see if the chain varies in tension. If your chain slack changes an inch or more as you rotate the wheel you need a new chain.

Rotate the wheel until the chain is at the tightest point. Lower the bike back to the ground and sit on it. The chain should have about an inch of slack. Adjust the rear wheel until you have an inch of slack at the tightest point.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Looser is better - so long as the "chain droop" isn't allowing it to dig-into anything.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any time you move the rear wheel in the forward direction the top of the chain will be tight, in fact it just tends to stay tight there with the slack at the bottom. Follow Serzawa's advice. Your owner's manual ought to have the info as to how it's adjusted. If it takes more than 10 mins. (once you've done it once), you're probably doing it wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.