Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice review. I'm not into cruisers, but it is good to hear about the ones available. You did a nice job of bringing context to the article as well.

The comparison to a 900SS and other really expensive sporting motorcycles is a little obvious though.

Nice recovery from the Zuma marketing piece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would love to see a comparo Vulcan, Volusia, Bonneville America. Grew up on sports bikes, had a Ninja the very first year it came out. Been riding for years and cruisers have their place. Sometimes we do want to see what we're riding past enjoy the scenery and talk to the babes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Now I remember why I gritted my teeth...

I like reading reviews of scooters, cruisers, and the like, but I agree that the content at MO is bland, too (sorry, MO).

Instead of *****ing about it, though, why don't we do something about it.

I've written a rough review of the DL 1000 I rode, and once I edit it I'll ship it off the MO to see if they want to post it. If you take your energy and contribute rather than b*tch you'll make the site all the better.

Why doesn't everybody write a good long-term review of their bike and send it to MO.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Closet Bueller?

Talk of motorcycles and closet can only lead to the *PINK* Speed Triple.

Seriously though, Buell is doing a lot to improve my vision of H-D. If they'd just get a new engine to work with or a solid year without a recall, I may be forced to put my money where my mouth is.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To the squids among us. You know who you are ....

one day soon, about the time your children need braces, it will occur to you that it is possible to have a great deal of fun on a motorcycle without leaving long ******* at the exit of every sweeper you navigate.

that life, like a bike ride, is a journey--and it's not such a great thing to arrive at the end.

that you are still a worthy human even if your squid friend dives inside of you in turn one. that giving up 50 pounds in bike weight and a few points in aerodynamic friction are not the end of the known universe.

that it is possible to ride a motorcycle without looking to all the world like you desperately want to have sex with it. that it isn't necessary to endure sore necks and backs any more. or numb hands.

that pavement hurts.

when you arrive at this point, like i have, you are in for the surprise of your life, because there are some damned good, mellow people, and some damned fine rides awaiting you, full of sunshine and flowers and mountain vistas as far as you can see. life can be good, even when it's not being fast-forwarded.

so do yourself a favor. don't knock cruiserdom until you've tried it.

thanks, MO, for writing for the rest of us. and burnsie .... don't fight the feeling. go with it. we won't hold it against you. it's ok to come out of the cruiser closet.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
First its minivans then braces then ....

Yep you are probably right its just a matter of age and wisdom. My wife and I bought a minivan a few yeas ago, something I swore we would never do. But I have to admit the minivan is so practical vs the SUV it replaced. After riding my friends Shadow I can see the attraction in cruisers. My oldest girl is getting braces so I guess next I'll be looking at cruisers. But, if I was going to get a cruiser it would be a Mean Streak or Warrior. I love the fact they have great tires and components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys please keep the cruiser reviews coming..and while you are at it how about doing a compare and PLEASE include the Honda Shadow Sabre...it has to be the best kept secret in cruisers...

True motorcycle enthusiasts enjoy reading about all types of bikes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Time for my two cents worth. I have not read any recent reviews of the Vulcan or Volusia anywhere else but here. They are not the fastest, high tech, able to get one half a second faster around the track than last year's model, bike. It's amazing to me how each new bike that comes out is so great making last year's bikes outdated, much like my fiance's clothes. Most other publications ignore these low end cruisers. They're relatively cheap, give great bang for the buck, change little from year to year, have great aftermarket support, generate lots of sales(Why else would they be around to long), and are ignored by journalists.

I thought it was well written, funny, and interesting. Pretty much the complete opposite of my response.

Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Please use the word Japanese

Not to mention bikes of Japanese provenance. I don't have one now, but all of my previous bikes came from Japan. Just think, if it were not for the Japanese, Triumphs would still leak oil and blow bulbs and switches and...

Japanese cruisers have done the same for Harley Davidson, and we are all better off for it.

Ok, so can we all have a group hug and go eat some granola together? And then do a big, smokey, group burnout...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Now I remember why I gritted my teeth...

Oh I've bought, sold, and owned just about everything on the market in the last few years and I can tell you from the expenditure that I wish I was living vicariously. I'm a bike junkie and have been for years and I like reading pretty much everything and guess what I got about two hours ago? A copy of motorcyclist magazine with a full riding review of the new Ducati 999 in it. Full glossy spreads, interview with Tamburini in it, nice write ups on the new 2003 Aprilias, full on test with numbers on the ST1300 Honda etc. This issue is very impressive. Motorcyclist mangaged to ride,write,print,and ship info on the 999 before any of the online magazines have, not just this one. (Note: It's a much expanded copy of the review on the official World Superbike site by Cathcart) Still do you think the print magazines are getting the message here or what?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Closet Bueller?

LOL I saw a Pink Speed Triple like last night on Speed Channel Motorcyclist. I thought who was the marketing clown that thought that color up. I definitely agree with your thoughts on the Buell and engine thing. I like the vision but like you said execution is everthing i..e year without a recall.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Tyres

I think he means if it comes with tubeless tires without tubes inside. The Vulcan has spoked rims so this is unlikely, as far as I can remember BMW and Moto Guzzi are the only manufacturers to offer spoked rims capable of utilising tubeless tires (without inner tubes).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry Tex, Cruisers Rule

While you may not appreciate cruisers, the market has spoken. According to the August 12, 2002 issue of Fortune, 262,000 cruisers were sold in 2001 compared to 114,000 sportbikes. These figures are contained in a profile of Harley-Davidson (www.fortune.com) I'm sure you will wish to peruse.

I heartily agree with the point other posters that have already made MO should continue to write about all things with a motor and two wheels (even, God help us, sport bikes). I happen to own a V-Star, but am considering purchasing a FJR1300. Different bikes for different moods. Neither may be "amazing" but both can be a helluva lotta fun, just like dirt bikes, scooters, etc. Don't lock yourself into one category and miss out on what else is out there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
To me these reviews seem more like creative writing opportunities for the editorial staff than attempts to educate the readership about the bike. Motorcycle Consumer News reviews all types of bike (including the Volusia and Vulcan by the way) and gives you a great deal of detail about performance. From their reviews I can really tell the differences, and similarities, between the Volusia and the Vulcan.

If MO wants to be a serious moto journalism player it will have to develop the capability to do comprehensive bike testing like Motorcycle Consumer News or Motorcyclist. Burns' cute way with words, talent for sexual inuendo, and ability to prove any motorcyle produced in the last 100 years is better than the 900SS, make for good throw away reading, but that's about it.

By the way, I considered Burns to be one of the best and most readable reviewers in the business when he worked at Motorcyclist.

Just one more opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You're right; there's nary a significant difference among the Japanese mid-sized cruisers. The almost complete lack of original thought that went into the design of these machines results in very little pride-of-ownership down the road. Shame on the Japanese manufacturers for playing it so safe that they've practically guaranteed themselves an increasingly smaller market share compared to Harley!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Re: To the squids among us. You know who you are ....

Quote: "that it is possible to ride a motorcycle without looking to all the world like you desperately want to have sex with it"

What's wrong with wanting to shag your bike? I feel randy! Yeah, baby!

61 - 80 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.