Motorcycle Forums banner

Kawasaki ZRX1200S Reader Feedback

26K views 77 replies 42 participants last post by  ZRX_bullock 
#1 ·
I don't get it with the fairing. Without the fairing it rocks. It's a naked standard, so the dual shocks are cool. But if you want a sport toury thing with fairing and fairing mounted mirrors, why would you want a dual shock bike? Maybe someone would, but I don't get it.

#2 ·
I think its about wind protection. When I was looking at this class of bikes last year, I looked long and hard at the zrx1200. It was more comfortable than the bandit on the showroom floor but I didn't think I would like the motocross fairing long term. I bought the bandit because I commute to work at 70-80 for two hours per day and I don't want popeye forearms.

One thing about the dual shocks is the huge "trunk" under the seat. Useful storage is a rare commodity in todays bikes.

#5 ·
In a way you're right... it's part of the reason I like the FZ-1 better. The fairing doesn't seem to fit with the dual-shock rear end on that thing, but on the other hand, to each his/her own.

#6 ·
What's up with the fake British accent, anyway? Zed this, tea tray that, I mean, really. What's next, a run to the pub to knock back some Newkies?

(For those that have never picked up a copy of "Bike": ZZ-R1100 [that'd be "Zed-Zed-Arrrr-1100"] equals ZX-11.)

I think the return to a sort of simplicity and ridability is a great thing. Sportbikes are forcing themselves into a sort of needle's point of pure performance that's at odds with normal riding, cruisers are often more costume jewelry for the owner than a form of transportation; the market needs to have real, attractive choices beyond these two channels. The ZRX-12 is wonderful in this respect; so are the SV650 and the Falco. I wish more manufacturers would have the guts to play to the middle, even if the advertising isn't as sexy.

#7 ·
I, personally, have no problems with Kawi ripping of American bikes on their designs.

If it's the look of an American bike that I like, but at several thousand dollars less (and better reliability), then I'm all for it.

If American bikes are that great, they won't have to worry about Japanese competition (and they don't). But for me, I HAVE to listen to my wallet more than my heart.

#8 ·
The Artical mentioned that it is avalible worldwide in three forms ( I believe it was in a picture caption) Well I guess the United States of America just isn't considered part of the world...I'm still trying to figure out why MO prints a test on a Kawasaki, the first one in a long time besides the KLR650, and its a version of the bike that we can't even get in the states!!! I know Kawasaki is letting other on line print test thier USA bikes. coughMotorcycle DailyCough

#10 ·
It's a beast and a beautiful machine.

The only two things that tilted me towards another bike (FZ-1) were the (lack of) fairing and no center stand.

Bring the S model to the states, flip the swingarm over so the brace doesn't prevent mounting a centerstand, and walla, perfect bike!

#11 ·
I like the base model WAY better. This one looks like it's trying too hard to be flashy...the graphics and colors look silly with the twin shock rear (LOVE the piggy back resivoirs, they look like buisness) and big black engine. Not to mention that the fairing looks like it got lifted from a Yamaha Fazer (popular in Europe more than the States, I hear...) A little understatement would be nice...the black/silver/ blue paint scheme is the nicest, by the way. But I have no doubt that it goes, and has usuable power. That's what's most important to me.

The Fox

#13 ·
For retro/muscle bikes, the ZRX's are just killer. Except for the goofy paint jobs. Green/purple/white? Black/purple/white? Hello?

I know I'm in a minority here, but I think that this 1200 motor would be great in a new GPz. As in recent-vintage GPz1100.

As a matter of fact, anyone know of a 95/96 GPz1100 for sale?

#14 ·
I bought a ZRX1200R last Friday. Like you I commute 100 miles per day to and from work. The only problem I have is my HJC half helmet with flip up visor catching the air flow. Things should get better when FedEx delivers my Quantum/f next Tuesday.

The end of next week I'm going to visit some friends who live 400 miles away and fighting the wind shouldn't be half as bad as it was on the same trip last year when I used a friend's Harley Heritage Springer with 12" mini ape hangers and no windshield.

This bike is like my seventies Honda 750, only better. Better power, better handling, better seat, but it's amazing how similar the feeling is to that old bike.

Your right about the convenience of the storage under the seat.

How come I'm posting as Anonymous Squid when I'm registered as "oops"?

#15 ·
Which of the 3 styles a person likes or hates is subjective. I happen to like the S model best, although the paint is something only a designer could love. The R styling never clicked with me, but I know a lot of guys like it.

This bike, to me, fits right in between the FZ-1 and the Bandit 1200S. With an extended windshield from Clearview or Rifle, and a Givi Wingrack, at $7,900 it would be a great bike for me -- versatile, solid, well-finished, comfortable, good performance and ergo's. That reflects how I'd use it; a standard doing light touring, not a standard trying to keep up with the sport bikes.

Whether they should bring them to the states, I can't say. I'd only buy, at most, one, and it's not in the sacred Cruiser-Squid-Dirt triumvirate. But I don't understand why the manufacturers don't market their standards or sport-tourers.

#18 ·
Re: MO read by non-Americans shock

This online magazine is read by readers other than those living in America. That's the point of an online mag - it can easily reach the parts other mags can't.

OK, so the readership may be MOSTLY American, but it's not ENTIRELY American, MO is in fact very popular in the UK...

#20 ·
Hmmm, looks an awful lot like a Bandit (the S model) but that's not a bad thing. The paint is the bad thing. A very bad thing - save the purple/green/brown/yellow or whatever for the 600 class bikes, this bike doesn't need loud paint. I saw a silver VTR the other day... wow, that's a nice understated mean looking machine. The ZRX could look amazing with a monochrome scheme.

How's this latest bad boy from Kwak hold up two up? Any bags offered to make this standard into a sporty sport tourer? What's the deal with the cat in the end can? Is that a european thing or will it come to CANADA (another non USA reader!) with a cat? These engines are powerful (heck my 86 gsxr makes 121hp) but can be much more so if you uncork 'em and add a few nifty parts.

In all, I'm really for this trend of monster motored UJM's. Let the squidlies have their 600s, I'm looking for a unit that can tame twisites (with a little effort... that's half the fun!) and cruise long distance two up.

#21 ·
Well, this makes my life unpleasant. I absolutley LOVE the look of the ELR machine, but the small fairing really worries me. I am tired of being uncomfortable and wind blasted. The bigger S fairing makes mucho sense, but it just doesn't do it for me aesthetically.

Either way, I really want one and that is a problem. An 02 Honda CR is the plan, but this makes the choice tougher.

#22 ·
Re: Accent - I AM British

Ha, ha, ha, ha!!! You gotta get used to these Americans... generally harmless and friendly but not too concerned about life elswhere than on a chunk of the NA continent.

Liked your story and am impressed that MO is using other sources for their stories. Any chance you'll be doing any other stories about bikes we cannot get here in North America?

a mostly harmless cannuck

#23 ·
Re: Accent - I AM British

Hey, now, watch out. I'm not all like that.

It was the "Motorcycle Online Staff" byline. Really. I thought this was Calvin and Brent and the rest having some kind of fun, maybe to make up for the TT getting cancelled. (The "North-south-hampton-ridge-shire" dateline didn't help the credibility issue, either.) Tell 'em to start giving you credit for your stuff.

A little guidance on what's going to be available on our side of the drink would help; I don't think we'll get all three of the fairing options. (Maybe I'm just grumpy that you get to have more goodies, even at the steeper prices you [looking up proper term] blokes suffer with.)

And hey, it could be worse. At least I'm not French.

#24 ·
I looked long and hard at the zrx1200 for my second bike, but the lack of wind protection made me decide to go for the zx1200r, which I have since modified to accomodate touring. (Can be seen at: http://www.down1up5.com/zx12rpage1.htm)

I am a 40 year old guy that likes to take long trips but doesn't want to get caught on a Gold Wing yet. Why don't Kawi, Honda, and the other manufacturers get it? I think alot of us want set up bikes with removable bags and removable wind protection, but aren't ready for shaft drive and marginal cornering characteristics. Wake and smell the aftermarket, Kawi..........................

#26 ·
I like it! The red and silver S reminds me of the original GPz900 Ninja in the side profile. I know its very different looking but still there is some family resemblance!

Had it been available in the US before I bought my ZX-12R, I might have got this instead. I am not too fond of the way the R version looks. The unfaired plain jane version is pretty sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.