Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You should go Sean. I used to own a H1 and the GPz chassis is quite a bit more corner friendly than than the stock triple runniing gear. Not exactly sure that the more peaky race motor would be a great idea though. Any way, my guess is that you would smoke everybody else there. VWW

·
Registered
579 Posts
Everyone should ride the Dragon. Its like God himself ordered the perfect motorcycle road built...

and so it was.

Keep to the Tennessee side though... you can tell.... because the Tennessee side always looks freshly paved... While the North Carolina side looks like something you'd find in Michigan.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Everyone should ride a Kwacker 750 Triple at least once. If only to learn just how far frames, brakes and suspensions have come.... and how weak 4-stroke engines are. A hour or two buzzing up and down a twisty road would have most people begging for mercy.... heck even 15 minutes would be enough.

Sean, you go. I've done my time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
buzzing reminds me more of Vespas... When I was in high school I used to see Kawi 500 and 750 triples. I think someone wrote here "the devil's chainsaw" - much more apt description of the sound!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're talking 2-strokes, you need to ride an Izh. Izhs were the best-selling Soviet motorcylce for many years. Heaps and heaps of 'em were made. You can find bits and pieces of them all over; great for spares. They're built by the same industrial conglomerate that makes Kalashnikov automatic rifles.

There are a few different Izhs, but they all represent the pinnacle of Soviet engineering: single cylinder, 350cc, 2-stroke combustion. You have to mix oil with your petrol when you fill the tank. They kick out something like 20hp. You can cruise comfortably at about 60kph or more. They're tough and can carry a whole house strapped to the back. Some of 'em have cargo sidecars.

I rode one for a week across parts of Mongolia to Lake Baikal. Mine was held together with string and caulk. It broke often, but we always fixed it.

gceaves

Hyosung GV250

Seoul, Korea

·
Registered
46 Posts
H1 Memories...sigh

Had the tangerine orange '72...many nice memories. Fast as hell with a personality all it's own. When you twisted the throttle you never quite knew what would happen...did many the unintentional wheelie. Packed it up and took trips all over. Was living in New York City at the time, survived potholes and homicidal taxi drivers.

Wish I would have kept it. Hmmm...Ebay has the exact bike up for bid right now for $1,700. Nah...you can't go back...I'll just keep the memories.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Re: H1 Memories...sigh

Of course you can go back. The sounds and smells are the same. The sight of all those fins, the width of the crankcase, those hideous waffle grips, etc. will still stir your soul. Sure, the ride may get you killed, but there is nothing that can reproduce the sound and smell of the 2-stroke from hell. I prefer the sound of the fully muffled version. The expansion chambers just hurt too much. Mix in a little sweet smelling two stroke oil and suddenly its 1970.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, to be honest, when riding one of those things I was too white-knuckle terrified by the boost and the "handling" to pay much attention to the sound it made.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
With all those old Kawasakis it'll really be the "smokey mountains".

I like the way they idle (when equiped with chambers) RAK A CLAK CLAK CLAK...

Race it Sean, I've got a vintage can of Blenzall gold you can use. Fragrant smoke.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll be there!

I will be attending for the third time and recently informed my wife that mid-may will be off the clock for the rest of my life or as long as this meet continues! It's an absolute blast!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I was up there two years ago (when a Subaru and I had an argument on whether I had sole ownership of my lane) and saw these guys. When a pack of them took off up the road from the Resort, you couldn't see anything for the smoke. It was great! The sound made your hair stand on end.

Then, of course, is the guy that builds the H1/H2 and H1/H1 bikes. Seeing those six pipes hanging off the back will get your attention!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh by the way...

It's not just Kawi Triples (although it is their gig) There are also a ton of RD400/350's. A large turnout of Suzuki strokers (Buffalo's, T500 etc...) There's also usually a few RZ500's, Aprilla RS250's (made legal) and even a few small cc strokers like Derbi's and small 60cc RD's. The small bike do surprisingly well with thir high cornering speeds. There will be folks attending from as far away as Australia anf Great Britan. It's and old-school event that has to be attended to b believed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the Spring of 1978 when I was 17, I started work as a mechanic at a motorcycle shop. My first demo bike was an orange H2. I was was stopped 3x in three days by the cops, mostly out of curiosity as I was never ticketed. That thing was a gas. Given what was out there in 1978, it didn't seem all bad. At least it had a disc brake.

What was weird was the day we sold it, the shop owner came back and said, "I sold the

H2. Put this 4.60x18 knobby on the back."

"Huh, are you SURE?"

"Yeah, just do it. I'll explain later."

As a good employee, I put that tire on, helped the guy load the bike into his truck, and off he went.

After the bike was gone, I asked what the deal was. My boss said that people held "field meets," that they they drag raced these things in the grass.

Good luck. With a Yokohama ribbed front tire,

getting that thing slowed down would have been interesting.

I never saw that H2 again, but the image is still fresh in my mind. It just SO weird to see an H2 with a knobby tire.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well, skeeters won't be a problem on that day!

I had a green tank 74 H-1. My best bud of that time had a red tank (75?) H-1. He still has it and it runs. Also rode an H-2 a couple of times AND rode a white tank '69. The first gen H-1 was an experience I'd wish on nobody...even the unmissed Kook. The H-2 - well, everybody should have had the chance!

BTW, H-1's had possibly the most evil seat ever designed. Not for human butts.

And those surface gap plugs - I wonder how many I fouled...even running the stink out of it.

Ahh, and then I graduated to a 75 Z-1B, but in ALton Brown's words, "that is another show",

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Bet an Izhs is a cheap Jawa knock-off.

Nice thing about Russian stuff, it may be un-relaiable, but you can fix it with twine, scotch tape, gum, etc.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: Speaking of cool 2 strokes

hmmm, that thing looks a tad suspicious. vaguely looks like raced for 20 yrs, left in basement, and recently reassembled from ebay parts. not to cast aspersions of course...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.