Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another article about EBay...Next.. just kidding.

I think you should start an inline 4 museum....Glad so see ya finally realize this Harley GPTB babyboomer stuff is not for you..Welcome back to Gen X where performance not poserformance rules..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I still get sentimental for the bike I owned in the mid-80's - a 1983 Kawasaki GPz1100. Arrest-me-red with matching red wheels. That was one gorgeous machine. The way it looked, the way it sounded with that 4-into-1 Kerker. God help me if I ever find one in mint condition. Note to self: Don't get drunk and go on Ebay!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me it's the Grey Market bikes that come up when I do a search for the word "rare". Something about a Euro 400cc (NC-30) or Aprilia RS250 street bike that makes me lust. Sure the 80's bikes I grew up on make me lust. When I see an 85-86 GSXR 750 clean I'll add it to my watch list just to see the bidding war.

Which leads me to think about my dream house. A large garage with a bed and bathroom at one end, or an old fire station w/pole to get to bikes.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
While the CBX has a loyal following, and is very desireable, there were a lot more RD's aold, and there are still a bunch out riding around. The RD's are a lot cheaper to maintain and/or rebuild. In fact, the RD350 was produced for many years in India (sort of like the Ryal Enfields), and a lot of new parts are coming from New Dehli.

There are several websites out there devoted to the air cooled RD's. usa2strokers.com is one that's based in the US.

And, Oh, BTW, My eBay account and email were hijacked a few days ago. Be careful out there!

·
Registered
730 Posts
The bikes Buzz are talking about were bikes brought out when babyboomers were in their prime and were bought and ridden by baby boomers. the great road racers of the 70's and early eighties were baby boomers. Only in your mind are all baby boomers posers who ONLY like harleys. Your understanding of motorcycles is rivaled by your understanding of motorcycle history and culture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
finally

Glad so see ya finally realize this Harley GPTB babyboomer stuff is not for you..Welcome back to Gen X where performance not poserformance rules..
Buz you must be one happy guy to have, at long last, earned some respect from KPC. So is it like a dream come true or what?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Get the one you like the best then set your sights on getting the next one. No "either-or" is necessary if you expand your time horizon. But I sure am partial to the '76 RD. (red, not green)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The big 6 cylinder Suzuki has is already being made. Suzuki waited until Kawasaki released the ZX-14 with the sole purpose of dethroning the king. The 2007 Busa will have a 1500cc inline 6 cylinder. I have not bought a zx14 yet -waiting to see what the competition will bring to the table.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I bought a CB1100F new in 83. A blue and white one, (never thought the red/white version looked that good). I also had a set of Bates leathers custom made to match the bike. I remember thinking that certainly no other motorcycle would ever be made that would eclipse the performane of my 1100. Needless to say, I was wrong. Still wish I had it now though. Those black chrome pipes sure look cool.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Being of a "certain age", ie, having bought a '74 Kaw H-1 and a '75 Z1-B new - I've been having similar thoughts. Happily I've done nothing more than daydream so far...

If I wuz Buz, I'd not worry too much about which one. Just snag the first nice one with the right price. The other opportunity will then present itself shortly - probably at the point of maximum inconvenience.

I'd expect the RD 400 to be cheaper to buy, overhaul & maintain than the CBX. However the CBX would be much less fiddly to have around once sorted out.

I'd choose the RD for just foolin' around and short distance work. I'd choose the CBX in a FLASH given the spendable $$$, one that is well sorted and the ability the CBX provides to take a longer ride and bring a bit of delight into other rider's days....

Now back to my important work with The Hanso Foundation. See http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

And namaste.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Had one of the first H-1s in the U S back in 69. Nothing I had experienced, in my then brief motorcycling hobby, prepared me for the hit that the triple had when it came on the pipe at 5500 rpm. Taking off the rose colored glasses though reveals those bikes for the unrefined machines that they really were though.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.