Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something you wish you could do better

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great, just great, more squids learning to be "stuntardz".
This should be banned and Keith Code is obviously exactly what the other schools say about him: Wrong in his training and obviously lacks any real merit in the bike world.
No one should "learn" to wheelie.
Want to wheelie? Go buy a dirtbike.
Man I hope cops everywhere see this and double their efforts to nail "stuntardz" because my insurance already is high and I have a clean record.

·
Registered
13 Posts
does this class include a special simulator for wheeling up and down steep hills, over curbs, and around corners, or do I have it mixed up with the motorcycle safety foundation advanced rider course? Oh well, with such small class sizes I most likely couldn't afford it anyway. I guess I'm doomed to have my front wheel on the ground forever. Damn. Those rich guys get everything.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree about the dirtbike. Having owned an XR600 and now a YZ426, I know a thing or two about wheelies.

Unfortunately, once one gets the "hang" of wheelies, one can't give them up. Especially if one happens to ride a TL1000S, as demonstrated in my little picture link.

People who ride wheelies in traffic and in public view are morons. People who ride them in the boonies out of public view are having fun.

Take a look at my photo and decide, am I a moron, or am I just having some fun :)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I always thought wheelies on the street were pure poser, and an example of social Darwinism at work, I've always been more interested in slammin' corners then trying to tear up my steering head bearings, I guess they impress the mullet-an-camaro crowd.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ride like Rossi

Rossi watchers can tell when he's really trying by watching his front wheel on the drive out of each corner. It's like one inch in the air while he's still at 30 degrees of lean and stays there until he's straight up and shifting.

Learning how to handle a bike at the limits of stability is what racing is all about. Whether Code is competent to teach it is another question. Whether a wheely limiter is an approproptiate tool is yet another.

I'd like to see a wheely limiter as an optional safety feature; it should improve 0 to 60 performance for the average rider.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you object to wheelies, than how do you feel about exceeding the speed limit? or maybe modified motorcycles do not appeal to you because they too are illegal. Why must the reckless behavior of people that you do not know cause such a hatefull diatribe? I suspect that most of the riders that have the abbility to push a bike to its limit enjoy the thrills of pushing there own personal skill limits. To perform well one must have a firm handle on all things technical, Wheelies, stoppies, burn outs, all these skills are really quite silly and have no place on public roads filled with suv's full of soccer moms. however a deserted hunk of asphalt or a track day are the perfect venue to practice and master these skills. I have raced and won a lot of races and the fact is a victory mono is the most satisying thing I have ever done. If you don't understand fine, but you should practice a bit of tollerance,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why some can't wheelie?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why some riders seem to wheelie quite naturally while others just can't get it?

Is it purely raw skill? I'm not sure, otherwise, why can some riders rip through corners while not beign able to launch a grande mono that comes with ease to others who can't cut their way through a turn?

Different skills, yes, but are there some who, no matter how well/smooth they ride, are simply wheelie "handicapped"?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thoughts

Maybe:

It's the bike/rider system that counts.

If throttle response (bike) or throttle control (rider) isn't smooth and precise wheelies are unpredictable and dangerous.

Panic is the main cause of poor throttle control.

Super **** bikes have way more power than needed unless all the riders weight is on the front wheel. Just enough power is better than too much.

Wee little 50cc bikes are easy to wheely if you sit back far enough.

Wheely control is part of learning to ride any powerful bike (except the Rune?). Rolling off the power smoothly while leaning forward should be automatic. After learning that, it's easy to learn to roll off just a bit and sustain the wheely with weight shift and throttle modulation.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Chill man if people want to pay for it so be it.

I think it is cool that Keith is doing this. Hey if people are willing to pay so be it. What better way to do it than in a controlled environment. Kind of like how drag racing started.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
You are correct sir

I think you are just exercising your right to prusue happiness. You are absolutely right "People who ride wheelies in traffic and in public view are morons. People who ride them in the boonies out of public view are having fun. " Although my first wheelie was by accident in public I am now addicted to it. I only do it far away from the public view.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Ride like Rossi

The word I've seen (hell, it might have been here, might have been in a Brit rag) is that some of the electronic control units can actually do stuff like this. Sensors on the fork can track wheel travel, and it can modulate power to keep the front wheel on the ground. Supposedly one of the new 1000cc bikes in AMA or WSB might be using this...

I could just be on crack though...

Brad

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Screw Rossi, ride like Jamie

It was here, in the article about the Formula extreme (or is it Xtreme? I can't remember...) GSX-R 1000. I'm sure it's in the archives somewhere...I think it was Jamie Hacking's bike?

--Foxy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.