Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rock on, I got a first post!

Not much else can be said, not too many of us are going to leave our iron alloy steeds at home this weekend, we just have to be even more alert for idiots -- both in cars and on bikes.

[soapbox]If you can't avoid drinking, you should at least avoid taking the motorcycle. [/soapbox]

Be safe out there and enjoy the holiday all!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Code states "moving back and forth WITHIN A LANE", not "from lane to lane".

You wouldn't be cutting anyone off in that instance. Perhaps you should read everything twice first, Sean ;)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I wasn't correcting him. Note that I quoted "within a lane" I was merely adding to his suggestions and clarifying that movements should be made in a smooth and predictable manner. -Sean

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
In over 40 years of motorcylce riding the best advice I ever got was from an old guy I meant while shopping for a bike back in 66. "Ride like your invisable, and everyone else want's to kill you". It's worked pretty well for me so far. VWW

·
Registered
64 Posts
I follow the "ride like you're invisible" school of thought as well. And when trying to make yourself visible by employing techniques described above - don't be a squid about it. We've got enough things to deal with being motorcyclists without everyone thinking we're all drunken idiots out there. Let's try to keep it to the current rate of 50% ;).

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
I don't commute anymore on my bike but when I did for a year I found that being passive will get you in more trouble than being agressive. So I agree with Code. Buzglyd once talked about using cars as your shield going through intersections especially right after a light turns green. I found that that tip helped from getting smeared when a guy ran a red light doing the speed up on yellow thing. When merging into a lane from an off ramp I use my hand as well as my signal .. But I alway use an in your face body language when in traffic cause it scares the cellphone yacking *****es in the SUVs. Eye contact is also a good thing. A person is less likely to run you over after he looks you in the eyse. Well maybe men are less likely its debatable if women are.....:)

Good topic Sean

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yep, I use what I consider aggressively-defensive riding with an attempt to have a high situational awareness (and an "escape route") to enforce that. I often make it a point to be "Seen" by those that didn't see me (or acted like they didn't) on the assumption that them having a bad taste in their mouth over an incident will cause them to be more aware. In 1975 (at 15) a car pulling out from a side street intersection while I was in heavy traffic pushed my ankle into the gearbox of my CB400F. The "old man" tore me a new one over that and it was multiple lectures and then awhile before I was allowed to ride again. I decided then that I would never let a car hit me again and so far so good (knock on wood).

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Survival tips...

The majority of accidents-some 75 percent in fact-approach motorcyclists from within 45 degrees on each side of the forward line of travel. Increasing surveillance of traffic within that front quadrant helps you predict what traffic hazards are present in that area, that is potentially the most dangerous.

I learned that from an ex-bike cop, as well as lane position, following distance and how to handle a .38.

Also ride offensive, not defensive. Everyone out there in a cage is trying to kill you, whether they know it or not.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Also, ride a streetbike or a DP on the street. One with a good upright seating position, footpegs under the seat (like riding a horse), good mirrors and wide enough handlebars for leverage. Save the torture rack for the track and the canyons. And save the splayedlegs cruiser for the highway.

Just my .02...... be sure not to go over .08. Or better yet, don't have even one beer.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Careful with the hand signals.

I don't know about the hand signals. Most drivers don't know what they are anymore and you might just confuse them. Some might even think you are flipping them off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quibble

I have a quibble with Code's comment about "run off the rear right fender of the car in front of you." I was taught and agree with the idea of staying to the left at an intersection, so a potential left-turner will see you, instead of being eclipsed by the car as you would be off the left fender. I suppose this might work if you were right up on the fender of the car ahead, but that's also known as tailgating and involves its own set of problems.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
To add to that... less than half of all motorcycle crashes are actually reported to authorities. The most common crash scenario, by far, involves a single rider freaking out and running wide in a turn, or applying too much brake in said turn and locking up a wheel (or both). Car drivers are the cause of less than a quarter of motorcycle crashes. We can pretend that we only have to watch out for car drivers, but the facts are that we are, more often than not, our own worst enemies.

Shiny side up.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Street vs. freeway

On the right fender thing, I would have to agree with you on street situations and as you point out the left at intersection thing. However, in freeway situations, when traveling in the HOV lane, I found that traveling in the right side of the lane was better. It seemed that drivers could see me in their mirrors better. especialy their center mirror which most people rely on. When I rode in the left side of the lane I think I was in either a blind spot when I came up on them or they never saw me approaching in their center mirror. But I could be wrong, guys at work that ride everday argue with me that riding in the left side of the lane is better cause you are closer to shoulder. But most of the time their is no center shoulder so you are screwed.

Too complicate things more, my MSF instructor always rides in the right hand lane and in the right side of that lane. He never uses the HOV lane.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Careful with the hand signals.

Yeah, but at least they see you. In my experience (about 15 years of street riding) it's important to catch their attention. The hand movements and arm movements from signaling are so outside of drivers' norm that it probably catches their attention even more.

One more tip... avoid being anywhere within 2 car lengths of a Hummer H2. Have you sat in one of those things? I sat in one at a car show and was amazed at the poor visibility. The windows are short and bunker-like (I guess that was probably the feeling the marketing guys were going for) and you probably can't see anything smaller than a Suburban or another H2 if they are next to you or anywhere near the traditional blind spot.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.