Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: scooters in the 50th state

for some reason i've been seing a lot of kids in Hawaii on fixed up honda elites, sym elite clones, and yahama style clones...

I see one pulling a wheelie at least once every week...

a lot of the guys are kids who do all of there own wrenching...

some of the older guys have scooters pulling 8 sec 1/8th miles at the local drag strip.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Kinky!

John Landstrom's Blue Moon BMW usually has an interesting scooter or two to oogle. Ditto Rick at Motorrad Elektrik.

Did any of you check out Aprilia Master Website, look at the downloads section and check out the scooterliciousness? No, I bet you didn't. Too bad!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Fun Fun Read! Ah scooters when I am off the meds (kspike) I hate them, put them down, etc. But on meds, scooters seem so cute and loveable. I want to go down and buy one for my younger daughter who loves everthing that has two wheels. Everytime she sees a scooter she points one out to me... Great pictures, excellent article thanks.....

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Where are the Cushmans? We want Cushmans. The HD of scooters. Tank shift flathead beasts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice story, Gabe. One thing seems to have changed for the worse in the last year:

I do at least one ride over to Aspen every year, oftener if I have nothing better to do. Only 75 miles but a different world.. Last year in October there were scooters parked all over the place. They seemed to be the latest "in" way to spend a bit of inherited wealth. This year, I saw only one.

I know, random sampling and all that.. There were a fair number of H-D's and BMW's on the streets also. but only one scooter (Lambretta). And only one Ducati, which is the one I was riding..

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
With that big chrome onament/knob deal on the front? Yeah, had one a them too.

But my favorite was the Simplex. The motor had a little distributor on it, with one wire for the plug, and one for the coil. Strangeness (had a Salsbury torque converter too btw).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
such a confusing world. My new Suzuki says Made in Korea. The scoots in the GS ad or is it GK look suspiciously like Yamaha Vino models...

Why would i buy a Vespa when i can get new Yamaha for like half the money? What? If I have to axe u can't esplane? I want a test of new Yam Morphous Flying Fallus posthaste.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
We had a guy here that had wedged a Sporty 1000 motor in an Eagle.

Called it the "Sportsman". It looked like a factory had built it.

He said it was terrifying, and shifting was an art form.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I apologize ahead of time..

Scooters and Fat Chicks - Both fun to ride until your friends see you.. :)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Jeehezus, Eagles were terrifying enough.

My '59 Super Eagle has a 21 tooth countershaft sprocket, can do 60+ (if you've got enough room).

I once wedged a Villers Starmaker 250 (sans transmission) in a Go-Devil foldable minibike(when the Fuji motor blew). That was scary.

Funny what we came up with in our spare time back then. Don't think folks today would understand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, MOPEDS and fat chicks. BIG difference.

Actually, motorists are pretty cool to scooter riders (relatively speaking, of course). What motorists REALLY hate are mopeds. Mopeds just remind everyone of the 14 year old, acne covered geek EVERYONE hated in high school. You know them. People so geeky even I looked cool.

People still want to punish those geeks. Mopeds are road rage magnets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scooters are kind of cool and all but I don't understand why you have to waste your time logging in to read about them.Just make the article a freebee and get on with it.I send my money to Motorcycle Online not Scooter Online.I pay to this site for the bike reviews and info so would you please get off your butt and test something so I dont't mind getting off my wallet to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.