Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great! Kpaul's chance to finally get some riding experience.

Gotta start somewhere.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
LOL, However, Mr. Seruzawa you make an excellent point about getting some good riding experience. How many of the top AMA Super Bike and Super Sport racers started in the dirt and moved to the pavement? Too bad my wife won't let my athletic (tom boy) youngest daughter get on a motorcycle. I catch her in the garage sitting on my bike from time to time. I encourage her but my wife yells at her to get off. I have a feeling she will get a bike once she leaves the nest, and I will be so proud when she does.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don't send her to Wazzu like you threatened, there's nowhere to ride out here, because there are no curvy roads or hills at all anywhere and I think I know a guy who voted for Bush in this town. It's awful. Stay away.

·
Registered
87 Posts
KPaul,

I started both of my daughters on dirt bikes early (5 and 7) a few years ago. 5 was a bit young, but by the time she was six, we did a 9 day camping/dirtbike riding in the U.P. of Michigan.

If you want to get your kids to be safe, responsible drivers when they turn 16, get them on a dirt bike early. They'll understand spatial awareness, not panic when a vehicle slides, and know that if they want to hot rod, they do it off of the street. It is SO much better than driver's ed.

I have many frightening statistics about teen drivers. If you want your kid to be safe, teach them early. Buy your daughter a dirt bike, and buy yourself one, too. Spend time alone with her in the woods. Its the best thing on earth. It will also make you a better street rider for the very same reasons. Maybe even help you smoke Sean on the track.....

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeahp, this is true. My dad got me on a dirt bike at 8. Nearly ten years off bikes to get through school and it the early dirt riding still was invaluable experience when I finally threw a leg over again.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Stuporcross

In my mind "Supercross" ruined the nobel sport of Motocross.

Way too many injuries, like when a youngster cases his bike, trying to clear a triple jump and ends up with a broken back.

Or misjudges a landing and eats it big from about 20 feet up. Splat.

Granted, most Supercross guys are fantastic riders, but pay far too high a price for the crowds enjoyment. Like gladiators.

"For those about to eat it, we salute you."

Of course, this is the opinion of an old fart who still has only 4 inches of suspension travel to worry about.

But it's good travel.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The first three inches disappear when you get on the bike, right?

I agree about supercross. I've always felt it was a yawner. It's purpose is to allow indoor arena racing and thereby keep the bills paid. Motocross on a large varied course is much more interesting and fun IMO. Watching supercross just makes my kidneys hurt by proxy.

Still, supercross is very entertaining compared to that free style jumping borefest. If I want to watch people doing the same stunts over and over ad infinitum I'll tune in women's gymnastics.

·
Registered
955 Posts

Personally, I think the old Scrambles were best (boy, am I dating myself). They were more like SuperMoto, without the pavement.

Hey, if I want to see someone do rediculous things in the air, I'd rather watch those tiny-Chinese-acrobats, try to turn themselves inside-out on the Cirq-de So la' (sure gets me to thinkin...Whoa!).

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You mean like the "good old days" when guys were racing XLCH Sportsters and BSA 650 Hornets? Similar power to modern 400cc bikes that weighed 200 lbs more, had 3 inches of travel and 1 inch wide single leading shoe brakes. Yikes. There definitely weren't any pussies at it back then. It's hard to believe that those bikes were able to finish when you saw all the holes drilled through every frame member to redude weight. Some of those bikes looked like swiss cheese.

Imagine trusting an AMF Sportster on a Hare and Hounds race across the Mojave. Better have the will made out.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Having ridden a 650 Hornet in the dirt on several occasions, I can attest to the fact that they quickly became a handful when the going got rough. Remember though that these early bikes and the scrambles that they participated in were responsible for the early Japanese dirt oriented bikes. The Yamaha Catalina, and the Big Bear Scrambler were both named after two such events. Like wise the Honda CL 250, and 305 scramblers can trace their reason for being to the popularity of those early races. VWW

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It's hard to believe that at one time the 305 Scrambler was a decent piece of off road machinery. Didn't 4 guys set the Baja record on those one year...67? Oh, that's right. It wasn't an organized race back then.

Sure, the old 305s were heavier than the Greeves and Bultacos, etc.... but at least you usually could count on them running for an entire endurance race.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

It was the Baja 1000 in 1969. A '69 CL 350 modified by Long Beach Honda.

Riden by Larry Berquist and Gary Preston, it beat the cars by 6 hours and 30 minutes (20 hours 38 minutes vs. 26 hours 8 minutes).

Motor was stock, except for the pipes & air cleaners. Had some Spanish Betors grafted on the front, and the rake was licked out some. They also ran some kind of new-fangled shock asorbers named Koni...

The 350 was a great bike. I have two. A '70 CL and a '71 CB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.