Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"'s leather is "grown" for them them in Japan using cows bred specifically to protect your ass when you go sliding down the road."

How?

What kinda cow is that? Do they rough them up a little every day? Put them on a bike and throw them down the road and let the scar tissue build up?

Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For this price, go for BKS

is kidding about the sizing on these leathers. They are way too small for many people I know. Being tiny is great for racing, but for most of us that just isn't the reality.

They claim to "create the safety world." Where's the CE approval? Where's the full back protection? Where's the thick, thick leather? Maybe they need a bigger herd.

But the price is the major problem. For $1600, I can get made to measure stuff from BKS. And you can't tell me beats made to measure BKS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
(sigh)

Wouldn't it be nice if a US based mag/emag

actually bothered to do abrasion testing/seam

testing(bursting)/etc for leathers?

"Ride" has excellent reviews for leathers... they

found that a couple of the high buck leathers

were not nearly worth their cost. The only bad

thing is that we don't have the same product

offerings here as they do in the UK.... so the

reviews are of limited use to those of us in the

US.

(sigh)

-- Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
No experiences with 's suits, but I have tried three of their jackets, and own a pair of their GPS gloves. I've tried the Real Ride, the Cool Paddock, and recently the Mesh Jacket. I wear a US 42 in every other jacket I have tried (Alpinestars, Dainese, Vanson, etc.), but needed a large from . Even with a large, the body was too short, while the sleeves were plenty long. I found the quality of their leather to be outstanding, and in my opinion, far superior to anything else I have worn. If it weren't for the sizing issues, I would definitly purchase a jacket.

I would add however, that US was a pleasure to deal with, and was always happy to return or exchange the jackets for me without any problems. Excellent customer service.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Minime uses a Nikon N60 (he says its crappy), with Sensia AS100 slide film through a 100-300mm Tamron lens.

I then scan the resulting slides through a Microtek ScanMaker 35t (I say its slow) into Adobe Photoshop.

·
Registered
144 Posts
"That's a tasty suit too."

Bleech!. The problem I have with finding good leathers, besides being less than svelte, is that most of them are so danged ugly. I don't want to look like a fruit pop going down the road, and I don't want basic black. (I live in the South guys. Can you say "heat exhaustion"?) Can't someone offer some decent leathers that fit real people and that don't look like a pair of my kid's old rompers?

·
Registered
350 Posts
More on Camera stuff:

The N60 is pretty crappy. It's more of a recreational SLR than something for "professional" use. The thing is, when I started shooting about two years ago (with help from photographic guru Mark "Kato" Kariya) it was all I could afford. I've kind of learned my way around the camera and can make it work semi-decently now, though I wish I had better equipment.

Most "real" photogs use Cannon EOS bodies (or similar Nikon equipment) and really nice lenses. These cameras are awesome and almost anybody can shoot decent stuff because of the super-fast auto-focus and the camera's ability in auto mode to set the aperture just perfectly to work with the chosen shutter speed you've selected.

The N60 I use has horrible auto-focus and the internal light-metering sucks in similar fashion, so I have to shoot (like another lens-master, Tom Riles, chooses to do) all manual. The thing is, he's awesome, I just get lucky sometimes.

As for film, most people like to use Velvia which is ASA 50. But because my lenses are pretty crappy and I don't have the flexibility I need, I have to shoot with film that's rated at least ASA 100. This allows me to shoot at decent shutter speeds to work with the relatively high aperture settings to get the correct color saturation/exposure.

In all, I guess the best thing is, as I've been told, to learn your equipment (whatever it is) and make it work as best you can. I've gotten to the point where some of my stuff is good enough to use in print magazines, too. I just shot some stuff for Cycle News the other day, actually, and one of the shots looks like it might even end up on the cover!

Good luck to all shutter-bugs out there. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you're in the market for a baragain:

Look at this review from a couple of years ago:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/syedleathers.html

I've owned two Syed suits, and they kick ass. Good quality, protective (three crashes in them!) comfortable, good customer service (I got my suit 10 days after ordering once!) and great looking.

The best part? You can get TWO custom made Syed suits for the price of one . Why don't more people wear Syed? I guess most riders want to show off how much money they can spend. Me, I know leathers are for crashing, so I'll spend as little as possible to get an acceptable level of protection.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: For this price, go for BKS

I disagree, I think BKS are very uncomfortable, are usually inadequately perforated and are much more expensive than Kushi. There is no chance that I'd fit into any BKS gear off the shelf (it's all ridiculously large). On the other hand, I can always find Kushi gear that fits me directly off the rack. Lately, I've been wearing a Kushi Meteor in extra small, the dealer tossed in a pair of hyper gloves when I bought the suit (so I'm not complaining about the price). IMO, being large is not an advantage, all that extra useless flesh does is slow a bike down (the body parts that need to be large weigh actually contribute very little to a riders net weight :cool:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fer' cryin' out loud!

Look at my below post about Syed, then call them up.

They'll fit anybody from Herve Villachez to John Candy for half the price of the Kushi, and you can get any color you want. One piece silver, if you want to look like the silver surfer and reflect as much as possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Using the 2nd Place Bike?

Nice leathers!

Why use the NUMBER 2 bike to feature them?

You should have gone and use the BAD ASS, ALL AROUND BIKE, CONTROVERSIAL 1st PLACE r1.

Anyway, you guys needed the hits on your site :)

Now, going back to the leathers, I wonder if the leather that comes from mad cows are cheaper? :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like my Kushi Meteor, I think it is far and away better than the Dainese and others that I've tried on and the suit has saved my tofu numerous times. I got my suit from Moto Liberty in Dallas (yehaa) and recommend them. I've tried on many suits and for my size, shape and physical conditioning (cyclist/runner) the Kushis are the best fitting and most comfortable. I also agree that Ron and company are top blokes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the review guys. I noticed someone wearing that suit in one of your vids and was wondering how well those suits fit. I already have a good idea about Kushi quality. Now... Kushi or RS Taichi. Decisions decisions. Oh yeah I'm still waiting on that RS250 VS NSR250 MC28 comparo ;D and brake pads! So many different brands so little time to test on our own. I dont think I've ever seen a brake pad comparo as compared to the near limitless tests of tires that moto mags do.

You guys rock!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Fer

>One piece silver, if you want to look like the silver surfer and reflect as much as possible.<

Umm, I think I'll pass on the silver. Too much chance someone might try to chase me down and try to paint GOODYEAR on my side. :^)=

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kush is great, but i bought helimot

I tried both the 's and the Helimot leathers. I think both are comparable top quality leathers, but the kush leathers are repaired after crashes in japan, whereas helimot leathers are repaired at the shop they were made in san jose.

Additionally helimot does a LOT of custom suits, where he'll keep the pattern for you for life for future repairs, so if you have a fit problem with the kush suits, he can make you a custom with a great fit.

go to helimot.com and check it out. he's super friendly and it's great fun to go check out his shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.