Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wish the free-stylers would break off from the X Games. Every time I see 30 yr olds doing tricks on BMX bikes or skateboards, I always have the same reaction. I think "Why don't these loosers get a life?". But when I see the free-stylers in action, I am in awe.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, but just being that high in the air on a bike would scare the S**T out of me, and I can't imagine the tricks. These guys are in a different league than any other riders.

I rode BMX bikes and skateboards too when I was a kid. But that stuff is made for kids. Free-style is for moto gods!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Huh? Besides the fact that you can see BMX, skateboard, and motoX competitions on their own, how can you say doing tricks on a dirt bike is better than doing tricks on a BMX bike? Athleticism, dedication, bravery, and a dash of stupiditiy are common to both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WHoop-de-doo....I can't wait for my subscription to this piece of $hit to end..I can't believe a e-mag could NOT be worth 1 dollar a month but here it is. Hey guys! Have you ever read any of the British Mags? They talk about MOTORCYCLES! GEAR! TIRES! RIDING TECHNIQUES! OLD BIKES THAT MAKE GOOD NEW BIKES! HELMET COMPAROS! Ya know stuff someone who actually rides cares about! Geez at the very least open up a copy of "RIDE" or "BIKE" or heck even "CYCLEWORLD", geez even "AMERICAN IRON" and look at what THEY write about...Man has the writing here ever gone down hill....Maybe just take a Dam trip somewhere and write about it..I don't mean some poser/merchandise show disguised as a "rally"..post a good road or two..maybe even GASP one on the "other" coast...I mean I pay 7-8 bucks for some of these british mags A MONTH! It's a rip-off but at least theres something worth looking at...in fact I consider it worth it because the mags there are so good most of the stuff in there is worth referring back to.....ok I had my vent, consider me non-renewed in 199 days.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a Navy pilot once commented about airshows, "Once you seen one plane go 'wiz-a-wiz-a-wiz', you've seen them all." I have similar sentiments about FX, except for Deegan's mindbending 360, which I lucked in to seeing while channel surfing.

Patty Wagstaff is a true aerial god(dess.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you are old enough to get a drivers licence, but spend all your time playing with 20" BMX bikes and skateboards, you need to get a life.

In contrast, playing with motorcycles is cool at any age.

So, for me, I can't get over the age thing. A lot of the top skateboarders and BMXers are grown men with children--I can't respect that. They remind me of "Billy Madison".

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK, I'm having visualization trouble. What's the difference between a 360 backflip and a regular backflip. I'm asuming 360 is assumed unless your idea of a sick trick is to land inverted though I wouldn't put it past Pastrana to go for an utterly biching head trench. What gives?

·
Registered
473 Posts
but is it art?

i really don't want to sound like the resident geezer here but i can't help it.

i remember when motocross was raced over natural terrain, and style was secondary to speed. guys like bengt aberg, ake jonnson, brad lackey, and jim pomeroy were gods and world-class athletes. many were so skilled they could inject style into their high speeds.

but of course that was not enough for modern times. modern supercross tracks feature man-made obstacles that hurl riders higher and further. the layout is designed to not only test skill but also bravery. come up short on a triple and you could REALLY get hurt. it's like the rebirth of roman gladiators. how much are you willing to risk to win?

now in this final mutation of motocross, speed is inconsequential, and the only contest is how much risk you are willing to take.

why not take it one step further and have them jump over a shark tank or sharpened stakes? maybe wire their bodies with explosives so that if they crash, they detonate?

thanks, but no thanks. i agree that the X Games are sick. but i'm sticking to the old definition of "sick."

·
Registered
334 Posts
These grown men ARE supporting their children by competing for prize money. The Xtreme sports scene has finally evolved to where there is actually the opportunity to make a decent (and in some cases Xtremely decent) living. You would admire them more if they pushed a pencil for a living? Is that your definition of getting a life?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed. The British press, sadly, kicks US ass front to back when it comes to MC content. I mean, it isn't even close. Usable, topical material for a person who isn't constantly in the market for a new bike or on his way to the race track. Fresh custom ideas, unique one-off machines, road reviews, riding tips, long-term product surveys, tech tips--there's just far more of everything. It's a shame, especially when you consider just how small the market in England is. I bet more motorcycles are sold in 6 months in California than in 1 year in Great Britain. I'd even argue that after you ship a 1-pound magazine across the ocean for newsstand sale, $8 is a fair price. Certainly no worse than Cycleworld, pound for pound and content for content.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Work is only work if you do not like what you are doing. These people live for the rush of flying through the air and also make more $$$$ than most of us. So they are making a very good living, supporting their families, all the while having FUN doing it. I'm young(I'll be 23 Sept. 9), while my design job isn't the greatest I know that I will work in the motorcycle industry some day. But then it wouldn't be work, it'd be fun, and I'll get paid for it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Since when were bicycles for children? If I remember correctly bicycles were used as transportation by adults before kids took over the fun. I take it you don't have respect for the insane downhill mountain bikers either?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.