Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I enjoyed reading Larry's columns about riding safety immensely. I subscribe to Rider and thought he was one of the best. I am always saddened when someone of his quality is gone. Condolences to his friends and family for this tragic loss.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
What a void now exists in the world of motorcycle safety. What a friend of Mid-Atlantic motorcycling has been lost. Rider Magazine will never be the same. Godspeed Larry. My best to his family. I hope it will be of some comfort to them when they think of the many lives Larry worked to keep safe.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The question I've had for the past 33 years of riding motorcycles is whether this statement is true or false? It's not if, it's when. Magazine editors are the most visible, high mileage riders. When they go down the answer becomes truer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am saddened by the passing of such a significant safety advocate as Larry Grodsky. His good work and training articles will be his legacy, but the man will be sorely missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What a tragic loss, I have been reading his articles for years and practicing his preachings as much as I could, it is very ironic that somebody whose opinion you follow and respect should come to such an end.

It goes to show that when your time is up, it is up. So keep riding and being as safe as you can, Larry would want it that way!

Ride on Larry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
One of my favorites from Rider, he was one of the reasons I bought that magazine. I also liked how his articles pushed the boundaries of defining what safety means just a litle bit. He'll be sorely missed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What can be said to ease the pain and sadness ? Nothing of consequence. I will miss his column every month. I think that the best memorial would be to try to put his teachings to use on a daily basis. Godspeed Larry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To Larry's Friends,

Many of you I have personally called in regards to Larry passing away yesterday,

April 8, 2006. A deer jumped out in front of Larry while riding his motorcycle

home from California in Texas Saturday around 9PM.

Services will be held Tuesday April 11, 2006 at Burton L Hirsch Funeral home in

Pittsburgh, PA. Visitation will be from 1-2PM followed by a service at 2PM.

In lieu of flowers, Larry's family has asked that memorial contributions may be

made to Brother's Brother Foundation in Larry's name. There contact

information:

Brother's Brother Foundation

1200 Galveston Avenue

Pittsburgh PA 15233

Phone: 412-321-3160

Fax: 412-321-3325

[email protected]

https://brothersbrother.org/index.htm

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Could have been me, also

Really saddens me, also. I enjoyed his monthly articles in Rider.

When I first read the news, it gave me a chill; 2 weeks ago, I was riding on US 90 in Texas, commiting the stupid trick of riding a bit after the sun had set. Visibility was very poor, though I didn't realize how bad until a deer loomed right in my path; it has just been invisible against the background, and the headlight wasn't effective, yet. I slammed on the brakes, instantly realized it was too late, and swerved behind the deer - no oncoming traffic on US 90 between Marathon, TX and Sanderson, TX. I survived, obviously. If the deer had chosen to swivel around and head back, I'd still be in a hospital in Alpine - the nearest town of any size - or in an urn of ashes at a memorial service.

I don't know the specifics of Larry's death, beyond the mention of an encounter with a deer in Texas. But I have a suspicion that the circumstances were similar to mine. It could just as well have been me, or both of us.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, this is tragic. The whole deer problem is out of control. I'd love to know how many of these antlered rats have committed vehicle assisted suicide at the cost of a human life.

I had one literally jump right onto the hood of my car one night and if I had been on my bike I'm sure I would have died. Larry had riding skills way beyond what I ever dream of having and hearing of his misfortune gives me the chills. If he could't stay safe, what chance have I.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Could have been me, also

>>what chance have I?

It would be helpful to know the statistics or "chances" are of colliding with a deer at the various times of day. Does anyone know if this info has been compiled? It seems like even if you were riding boringly slow, it would still be painful if a deer were to randomly jump on you. I'm ready to take up hunting-- for deer . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
>>what chance have I?

It would be helpful to know the statistics or "chances" are of colliding with a deer at the various times of day. Does anyone know if this info has been compiled? It seems like even if you were riding boringly slow, it would still be painful if a deer were to randomly jump on you. I'm ready to take up hunting-- for deer . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.