Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to be honest with you. I taped the Day 1 race twice on Saturday (just to be sure I got it) and I watched Day 2 and the Supersport on Sunday without any difficulties. When, exactly, did the race get interupted? Was it on Sunday after the postponed NASCAR race?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fired off an e-mail to Speed Channel moments after the perfectly manicured, smarmy announcer made known that the next 40 minutes would cover highlights of the good ol' boys roundy round races, instead of the live telecast of the 600SS race at noon, PST. I'll forward a copy of what I sent when I get home from work.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Shame Shame Speed Channel Another Heidi bowl thing Hey if Speed Channel wanted to update NASCAR folks do it with a scrolling message on the bottom of the screen. I fail to see why they think folks tuning into a motorcycle race would be interested enough in NASCAR to have the coverage of AMA race interupted. I like NASCAR but I don't want a live motorcycle race to be interupted by a talking head yacking about NASCAR. Do it as an update on the hour or half hour but to prempt the race is stupid and pisses people off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Below is an e-mail I sent to Speed Channel about them wiping out the the live telecast of the AMA 600 SS race from Sears Point to talk about NASCAR racing highlights and their "reply". The message I get from this happening and their automated system reply is that motorcycle racing programming is not a priority for them, and that they don't have time or inclination to respond.

Why do you interrupt a live telecast (AMA 600 Supersport) to talk about *highlights* of NASCAR?! I thought that was what time slots for programming were for? I was looking forward to seeing the motorcycle races you had put in your schedule today and cancelled other activities for the day so that I would be able to watch them. Now I have to wait until another time to see the 600 race and I don't have the benefit of getting other things done. Pre-empt rally racing or soap box derby racing please. Better yet, how about waiting until the allotted time for NASCAR programming comes on to talk about NASCAR race highlights from wherever. I might even watch it when you do, even though I largely don't care about NASCAR. When NASCAR programming squashes motorcycle racing coverage, with no warning, I could be forgiven for developing a resentment toward that particular segment of motorsport and also toward the Speed Channel programming staff. I look at the schedule you produce for a reason, and I imagine you create the schedule for a reason. How about following through and actually doing it the way you planned? How do you think it would be received if you brought race highlights from World Superbike and AMA Supersport races from wherever right in the middle of a titanic battle for the lead at Bristol, telling your NASCAR fans that they can see the race in its entirety some other time? What happened today gives new life to my fears about how programming other than NASCAR will be treated by the new regime at Speed Channel. Please feel free to respond by e-mail, or contact me at the phone number I have provided. I eagerly anticipate your

reply.

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 12:44 PM

Subject: Thank you for contacting Speed Channel

Thank you for contacting Speed Channel.

We commit ourselves to read all of your comments. However, due to the quantity of emails we receive, we may not be able to answer every email.

If your question does not receive a response, we ask that you please visit the FAQ page on our website at www.SpeedTV.com, or try contacting us again.

Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

To find out if Speed is available on your cable system, call 1-888-22-SPEED or call your cable operator or satellite provider directly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
1. Any professional TV channel should stick to schedules unless neccesary. This was not neccesary. In fact it was pretty ofensive.

2. Is this confimation of what we suspected that the speed channel is only paying lip service to sports such as motorcycle racing, F1 and rallying?

3. The Speed Channel.. home to NASCAR at the expense of everything else? Just a dumping ground for Fox's Nascar coverage?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Part of Fox's deal to get NASCAR rights was to provide a certain amount of broadcasting hours (8 I believe) per day. That's why Fox bought Speedvision so they would have an available channel in addition to their stick and ball coverage.

Let's face it: As much as we love motorcycle racing, the audience represents a fraction of the NASCAR audience and money will always triumph "the right thing to do."

I'm not saying I agree with what they did. I'm just injecting a dose of reality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My comments to Speed Channel also included the fact that I subscribe and pay my cable company for a higher programming tier mainly to get Speed Channel. If Speed Channel's shift to NASCAR prompts people to drop to a lower subscription tier, the cable companies will start to evaluate whether their bandwidth should be used for some other network.

·
Registered
203 Posts
not only that, but....

the Jerez MotoGP coverage was so littered with commericals it was pathetic!! I swear every 2 laps there was a commericial!! It made it almost impossible to get a good feel for the race. If there was 5 minutes of racing there were 3 1/2 minutes of commercials!! too bad that inbred hillbilly channel is destroying a good thing

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are spot on KPaul, Speed Channel dropped the ball big time. If they thought it necessary to show highlights from the Nascar race, they should have used a scroll along the bottom of the screen, and not interupted a scheduled program.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was irresponsible for Speed to interrupt the race pure and simple. NASCAR may pay more bills but SS was something they scheduled and they should stick with it. I wasn't too terribly upset given that it was repeated a few hours later and Speed is the only channel that caters to 2-wheel fans on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, I too stared in disbelief at my TV when they interrupted the 600 race. I had just finished watching the NASCAR race on FX channel and switched over to SPEED to watch the bike race when it happened. I'm a fan of NASCAR also, but I couldn't help but wonder how many NASCAR fans are going to change channels to SPEED at that moment when the schedule said that AMA supersport was airing. Just who was SPEED Channel trying to please? I doubt that they got any NASCAR viewers, all they did was really offend the motorcycle racing enthusiasts. IDIOTS! I also sent an email to Speedchannel to let them know what I think about it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: not only that, but....

This too is my primary complaint with Speed Channel. There is no flow to any of the motorcycle races I've watched due to the constant stream of commercial interruptions - far in excess of anyone's threshold of tolerance. This is counterproductive for them and their advertisers since my response, which I think is probably typical, is to tape anything I'm interested in watching on Speed Channel and simply fast forwarding past all of the commercial interruptions.

Martin

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Maybe they figured the 25 people across the country watching the motorcycle race wouldn't get all that mad. Somehow, I get the feeling they are going to drop motorcycle race programming totally. "Lashing out" is fine, but they already know they are the only game in town. You can hate NASCAR with all your passion, but I don't see TV stations outbidding each other for the rights to televise a motorcycle race. If and when that day ever comes, they will preempt the NASCAR race to bring you the latest from Sears Point. Just don't hold thy breath waiting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I disagree... I was one who did send them a tirade... with mild profanity (which I posted here on another forum about the superbike race yesterday b/c this forum wasn't 'up' yet). It is justified in this case. Someone I used to know (that I can't recall off-hand) put it very plainly once: "act like a dumb-a s s, get treated like a dumb-a s s". Very simple.

What they are doing over there is very clear: they are TRYING to drive us away b/c they do not WANT us. Why should I bother with pleasantries anymore? The viewers that built their station are being cast aside. 24-hours of NASCAR will over-saturate the market and it will fail... that's my 'Nostradamus moment' anyway.

I would be very interested to know how Honda, Yamaha, etc... who spend advertising dollars with Speed to get coverage during MOTORCYCLE RACES feel about having their commercials aired during roundy-round races?, if at all? After all, was it not the 'Pro Honda Oils 600 SuperSport Race' that got pre-empted?

Honda??.. are you listening???

Someone should be bringing this to the motorcycle manufacturer's attention... US! Everyone should send a 'concerned letter' to "Japan, Inc.".

-James

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Good thinking minime. If I am Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha which don't have any thing to do with NASCAR, I would be pissed to see my advertising dollars go down the tubes cause my targeted audience just got blown away by NASCAR news (not even live stuff)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: LOVE FOR BIKE RACING

I love to ride my bike Kawsaki ZX-6R and if there is any thing I love more then riding my bike is to see the best guys in the world on them. I am sure for all of the guys who do ride racing bikes U have to wish that u could ride as good as them. So for the people who pay their cable bill every month just to see AMA racing The Speed Channel did not respect that at all. I do hope that that was just a one time thing and will never happen again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems like everytime I turn on Speed Channel in the middle of the day its 'NASCAR Classics' I guess the ratings are very low at that point but there's gotta be something better...don't you think. We're not all beer drinking, potato chip eating, fat, toothless, ass scratcing necks out here. Too much Neckcar for me!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.