Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Seriously

The higher gas prices made more people park their Suburbans and F350's and start driving the Corolla or Accord again.

Having more drivers in vehicales that stop and handle like cars instead of logging trucks allowed them to avoid accidents instead of bulldozing their way into what-ever was in front of them.

When gas hit $2.75 a gallon here I was laughing my ass off at the sad sacks and their $100.00 weekly fill-ups. They're the same people looking down their noses at me filling up my bike on rainy winter days.

I seem to have alot of unresolved anger........better drink some more beer.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The MCN artical that haird is referring to shows the cause as being hood and impact heights, ie; if you're hit by a car the bike and your leg takes the impact. Not good, but better than a larger SUV or pick-up where the higher hood and fender heights put the impact at your shoulder/upper torso level, which results in less injurys but more deaths.

Dumb-ass stunters aside the highest deaths are right there with your HD rider. Inexperianced or re-entry rider over 45 with less than a years time, on a large cruiser type bike, running off the road and hitting a tree, rocks, parked car, what have you. With alcohol involved in more than half the fatalities.

People our (my) age that started out riding on dirt bikes when they were kids and have ridden different types of bikes all their lives are statistically as safe as car drivers according to Clement Salvadori in Rider magazine, the fatality rates are skewed by re-entry riders buying the "Rightious Partyin' Bro' " B.S, getting looped, and running into trees.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Off topic yet funny.

That happens more than you'd think, and it doesn't need to idle long to do it. During my admitedly short ownership of an '02 R1150RT I was emphaticly warned by the dealer not to let the bike idle for any length of time. Subsequent research on the BMW Sport Touring net showed a few cases of melted plastic filler plugs, wiring harness shorts, driveline failures as well as complaints of surging and just general ridability issues.

I admit the ridability improved quite a bit after I removed the cat. con. plug and let the bike run on the Euro. fuel map, but overall I was pretty dissapointed with the whole deal. Clearly the Legendary Motorcycles of Germany are just that,.... Legends

Thank God Triumphs back in buisness or I'd have to ride a crumby Ducati or Harley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.