Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I've been back in LA for a couple of weeks on business and I've noticed something a bit disturbing. It seems that every guy I see on a race replica is whitelining down the freeway in a totally insane manner. I mean these guys are scooting between cars where the freeway speeds are like 50mph or more. Except for one guy on a new ZX6R (with a paper plate) every single sportbiker I've seen is doing this.

I can see whitelining when the freeway is stop and go, but this whitelinibg at 70+ when the traffic is doing 60 is nuts.

I didn't notice this phenomena as regularly when I was hever a few year ago. Is there something in the water? Did BikerBoyz cause this? What gives? If anything is going to cause the legislature to specifically ban white lining it's this insanity.

Will more movies worsen this behavior? Enquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got a cruiser, sport bike and have ridden dirt for 26 years. Hardley riders are the absolute least skilled riders on the road.

All these idiots who have never ridden a bike before buying huge, poor handling cruisers. On top of that, they are out riding around in a skull cap, chaps and fringed clothing instead of a helmet . Trust me, they don't look too good when they are layed out on the road.

The Retarded Republic of Kalifornia is the only place I've seen idiots riding down the middle of the lanes and I've seen an equal number of cruisers and sport bikes. It's not legal here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that's just the way it's been going for the past few years. I live down here in OC, and since about 99-00, the sportbike thing has been catching on big time, at least from what i noticed. I think the lane-splitting at high speeds can be attributed to the fact that there's just more people with bikes on the freeway, and with that will come more squids.

My roommate just got a new bike awhile bike, a brand new F4i (when F4is were still the shiz) and he just started lane splitting all over...but he never split at red lights. I don't understand his logic for that, but I tried to tell him to take it easy, being that he's a brand spanking new rider...but some people think that because they ride bikes in the first place, they're God's gift to the motorworld.

I was part of a bike club that I won't name, but it was located at a university in SoCal. They would go riding on the weekends, and I have to say that just about everyone ate it at least once. I think it's because testosterone got into the equation and they just threw caution to the wind. I'm no riding guru by far, but I wish the license requirements were more stringent when issuing to those under 30 (I'm 23).

Living in Southern Cali makes access to fresh seafood easy, but we just have too many damn squids.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You'd think the cost of insurance would keep most young newbie riders away from sportbikes but that obviusly hasn't been the case. Many ride w/out insurance, or like my carrier here in NJ offers, buy the cheapest liability coverage they can (10/10/15 K). I'd hate to be on the recieving end of a crash w/ that dude!

I agree, the licensing reqm'ts here are a joke. In return for fleecing you of your money, the DMV offers little guarantee of the caliber of new drivers being licensed every year. I generally oppose any kind of additional knee-jerk regulation, but tiered licensing seems to make sense. After all, you can't just jump into a tanker truck at 16. There are a lot things a light, small displacement bike can teach you about vehicle control. I doubt restricting newbies to 250's or 400's for a year would generate undue hardship. Of course the burden should't be entirely for motorcyclists to bear. The same should apply to cars, or if not then at least incorporate stricter requirements, including knowledge of the english language.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Point taken. Mine isn't a scientific sampling. But of the bikes I've seen in the last two weeks the cruiser types aren't doing this insane lanesplitting thing almost one for one like the sportbikers.

Maybe it's because the cruisers have a wider profile and that discourages some of the more insane antics, but I've seen what I've seen and the sportbikers are simply nuts around here.

As totalitarian as Kalif has become in the last few years, especially under Vladimir Davis, it won't take more than some squid preciptating an accident that kills a couple of kids to bring on some serious anti-motorcycle legialation.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
"Maybe it's because the cruisers have a wider profile and that discourages some of the more insane antics" Bingo cruisers suck for doing it. Cruisers are go for going in straight lines on flat roads-Midwest Here in WA I have seen more cruiser nuts break laws than squids.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Wrong again. I did plenty of lane splitting on my Low Rider and I split on the E-Glide. I think my Ducati's mirrors are wider than either of my Harleys and when the hard bags are on the back she's got a wide arse too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.