Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
What everyone needs to know first:

What are you using them for? Spririted riding, track riding, trip to Starbucks to hang out, etc.

And first.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
If you're "American sized", please in the name of God, don't get tight leathers, trust me on this, eh?........

For this climate in the PNW an Aerostitch is a much better option than leathers if you ride full time. So far I've been comfy in my two piece Darian suit from 30's and mixed rain and snow to sunny and 80's, can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
this is a good topic.. i would really like some advice as well..

i ride a small island with twisty roads, bad potholes, and off-camber turns. the climate here is tropical. it rains almost daily in the rain season but never for more then 15 20 mins at a time.. temperature is between 80F-100F all year round.

mostly you see brain buckets with shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (unsecured sandals).

so far i bought an open face helm (i didnt think i'd be able to take a closed face helmet in 100f traffic.)

som joe rocket gloves.

and a 10 year old (in new condition) HD cruiser jacket..

i was thinking about getting some of the less garrish and more vented MX boots and once of those nifty troy lee speed jackets.. the mesh ones meant for supermoto with all the padding.. and mesh.. mesh is good.

no idea what to do for pants.. i want protection but its gotta be convenient to take off/put on and nothing thats gonna be too hot in this climate.

i also don't want to have an entire wardrobe sitting on my bike when i park it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Skin suit

1. Buy a codpiece, that'll protect the stuff that matters.

2. Use Novocaine when perforating.

3. Don't go Lorena Bobbitt, she has the unkindest cut.

4. Ridden hard and left wet.

5. Just like I said, ridden hard and left wet

·
Registered
15 Posts
okay, now for reals. for years i've ridden in a full, one-piece leather (custom made) suit. it's amazing, comfortable, armoured, and unbeatable if i ever go down (touch wood). yes, it's brutally hot in there when it's hot outside, but you pay to play, eh? it's also super super comfy when riding in reasonable temps, great at speed, for long days in the saddle, etc. etc. there's good reason people wear leather on motorcycles - it works. i love my leathers.

1. 1 piece. the two piece ones are stupid-looking, and the jacket is too short to really wear separately, and you'll *never* wear the pants separately (cut wrong and stupid-looking).

2. Look, you're buying leathers. If you want comfy 'n cool on the beach, buy a thong. For leathers buy protection not ventillated crap.

3. Test 'em out. Or buy custom, it'll last for the rest of your life if you don't abuse it. And they can be repaired if you crash.

4. Buy the right size - talk to the salesman. They do get a little looser, but not much. Don't "buy loose" - it needs to fit to protect you, man. If it's floppy and baggy it won't spread the impact load well, and will bind and do bad things if you crash. When you hit the ground, you want the leather to 1) spread out the load to avoid internal damage, and 2) slide smoothly on the asphalt to prevent tearing. For both of these, you want it to fit smoothly to your body.

5. New. It's an investment in a healthy dermis, undamaged body and comfy riding. do the right thing.

Good luck Leatherman.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Vanson Ventmax III jacket

+

Alpinestars Air-Flo Mesh pants.

If you go down in the tropics then get on some good antibiotics. I lived in P.R. for three years and any scratches were fought over by fungus and bacteria. I was one funky critter at times.

Tropical drinks don't boost the immunity as much as you think, even though they are loaded with vitamin C goodness.

Thanks for the memories.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Check out www.roadgear.com

I have the XKJ jacket and pants with liners. I can't believe how warm perforated lethers can be with a good liner. Great jacket with jeans too.

The owner, Mansoor, was a pleasure to work with and very knowlegable. (insert name joke)

If you gotta have pucks, I like my Dainese 2 pc. that zips together. Pant model is "103" and I forget the jacket model.

+1 for the 1 pc. Roadcrafter by Aerostitch for everything else.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Barnacle Bill, for gosh-darn sakes!

Now's probably the right time to contact him if you'd like the suit soon, all the Racer's already have theirs.

You'll spend little-more than for a Off-the-rack, and it'll FIT.........

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
So, the wife and I are out for a ride. We stop at a gas station to fill up the bikes and in general take a break and chat where we wanted to go next when this older fella on an R1 stops at the station, dismounts and starts walking to the two shop attendants. Now, my hat's off to the guy because he was about 60 and can still fold up to ride an R1. But, he was about 5'6", very round looking and wearing REALLY tight blue and white leathers which must have been brand new as he was waddling more than walking. He kind of looks like a sweaty Garden Gnome dressed in leathers with a short white beard.

Well, his conversation was quick and he turns around and starts to waddle faster and goes right past us mumbling about how the station doesn't have public restrooms and he has to go across the street to the other gas station.

As he makes his way across the street I turn to look at the two kids that he just spoke to and they are laughing hard and are near tears.

My wife looks at me says with a puzzled look "Don't have restrooms? But I used the restroom while you were filling up the bikes"

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.