Motorcycle Forums banner

Should a fellow rider encourage another to ride again after going down?

• Absolutely! Give it the ol' college try once more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way Jose! Let the rider decide on their own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've crashed once in training and once on the street, both due to a front wheel lock-up during emergency braking. I cracked a rib & learned the importance of wearing safety gear. I made the decision to keep riding & hone my skills further. I've had several friends crash and a few co-workers as well. I try to be very supportive post crash and avoid judging, whether they screwed up or another motorist caused their pain. Usually after a crash the rider is in shock that it happened to them and have subconscience thoughts of never riding again. They usually come around though to riding again but a few have sold their bikes asap. If they are married the wives usually have a hissyfit and refuse to let the rider ever see the bike again. So I guess in short, be supportive, let the rider come around in his own time, and keep the bike in your garage til they are ready for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a woman pull out in front of me 4 years ago and for the 2 months of healing and the bike being repaired, I had a hard time deciding whether to ride again or not. I was 48 and had ridden for 25 years. My dad asked one question that helped me make the decision. "You always enjoyed riding didn't you?" I still ride.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why is it that we never ask folks who wreck cars/trucks if they will ever DRIVE again? Seems like the same dilemma to me but when put in the 4-wheeled context the question seems silly.

Riders I know who have gone down tend to get back on their bikes, but I'll always let the "downed" rider steer any conversation about their wreck. The wreck is an opportunity to learn if the wreckee wants to talk about it.

Haven't yet wrecked a bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since you asked,...

...what if you encouraged him to get back out there and start riding again even though he was leaning towards selling the bike and giving up riding. It ends up that you were more persuasive than you knew and he takes your advise, gets back on the bike once his bones heal, and you find out later he crashed a couple months after that and dies.

So, my advise is to not give advise unless that person asks. And then, only tell them how you would handle the situation yourself, followed by the disclaimer; "You have to decide this for yourself".

At least that's what I would do if the advise being sought is potentially life changing (for better or worse).

And of course, you have to decide this for yourself. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
A friend of mine lost his leg in a very low speed residential zone accident. He was minding his manners and "forced" into a head-on or parked car situation. He would love to ride again but won't.

This guy raced 500cc dirt bikes and was a very competent street rider. Every time I read about someone with considerably more "talent" getting hurt or killed, I revisit the morbid downside of my own ability in the same situation.

I believe that is a SNAFU.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its a personal decision. However, I never even considered not riding again (while still in pain in the ICU) and have repaired my bikes on crutches. Perhaps its maturity or self preservation, but the experience(s) have taught me to ride more cautiously and never without full gear. Bones don't heal too quick past 40.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wrote the check for a new bike while my hands were still in casts. I guess as always the person involved needs to decide whether the risk involved is worth the joy of riding.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Some people just aren't cut out to ride motorcycles. Lack or coordination or athletic ability, poor judgement and even worse lack of awareness or mindfullness.

There's a guy I work with who went down, locked up his back wheel when he came up "unexpectedly" on stopped traffic, messed himself up moderately... no riding skills, not paying attention & the fact is for him those things will never change.

I straight out told him bikes aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man! I made the mistake of pointing out the possibility that an accident could have been avoided to a friend of a downed biker. Good god you'd swear I kicked her cat. By the time it was over crash Gordon was spoiling for a fight and I had to tell her not to talk to me anymore. Some people DO NOT want to hear that they or their friends are fallible. My advice is encourage but stay the hell away from trying to help them realize how not to be a squid. It was a big lesson for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Last June I highsided in turn 2 at pacific raceways during a race. I got up, knowing i was pretty hurt but more afraid i was going to get hit by somebody else and staggered to the inside of the turn. i flopped over and while waiting for the corner workers, then the ambulance to get there, i said to myself, this is the second ambulance ride this season. it ain't worth it. if i live through this, i'm done. and i was too.

until september.

i don't have an opinion on issues faced or advice to give.

i do get a little queasy on the brakes in 2 and i pick up slower, in the same corner. i know that. but i hope it goes away.

i don't begrudge anybody giving advice about riding or not riding.

it's a choice to do something moderately more dangerous than driving a car.

still the whole "died doing something he loved" bs doesn't wash with me. nobody loves to die.

give advice to wear good gear, learn to ride, go to msf. ride a lot. think about safety. but choosing to ride? i am not going to advise somebody to do it or not do it. it's their choice to belong to our tribe.

regards

ed

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well that's what you get for arguing with a woman. Like they're ever rational or capable of rational debate. C'mon man, they live in an emotive domain and take any counter point so personally that logical discussion is by very nature precluded when dealing with the supposedly fairer sex.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unless you are in the magical world of Harry Potter! Why did I type that. I went down on my Busa a few months a go. I had some nice road rash, but nothing too serious. I picked up my bike (after the car which cut me off was long gone), and rode myself to the hospital (Bike had some nice road rash too). Adrenaline, ah what a wonderful thing. I got patched up. got back on my bike, rode myself home, and and never even considered for one iota not to ride. I considered trading in the Busa (i still had my more nimble and quick R1) for a Triumph Spint, but i am just plain addicted to the thrill of the Busa.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
That's an utterly chauvenistic statement full of stereotypical generalizations. And 100% accurate.

Listen up, twenty-something dudes - your Dad is right about everything. My dad was an idiot when I was in my twenties, now he's a freakin' genius. It's amazing how much smarter he got as I got older.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Do you want to take the risk of dying young while having fun, or go for the certainty of planting face-first into your oatmeal at ninety with a diaper full of crap?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Of course, if you have kids, the equation changes. I'd take it easy while they're under eighteen. And be well insured.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hmmmm....

I've crashed and gotten injured on several different race tracks, but I don't remember what I decided after each of those incidents, cause I usually had a head injury. However, people tell me that I still ride, so I guess I got back on that horse. I also crashed on a public road once, resulting in $17,200 in damages to a Ducati test bike and a broken right hand. The thought of not riding after that never entered my mind, until I read this thread. What do you all think I should do? -Sean

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Hmmmm....

Very funny, and clever. You realise though that you are asking the opinion of people who have paid to read about your riding experiences. I think that any replies may be biased by that and how much we enjoy reading your articles.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.