Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a poor college guy, and living in the ghetto i... well, i just take my chances and own a gun.

but hey, i've heard of lowjack for motorcycles before.

and yeah, first post.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Went to my local H-D dealership the other day and all the bikes have full-color glossy LoJack flyers on them, so they definately are available for bikes.

The system draws only a milliamp while on standby, probably just enough to keep the receiver on, when the LoJack is activated after a theft the transmitter/locator turns on at full power.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Lojack has a great product, but does NOT have nationwide coverage.

You'll have to go to their websites sitemap to see coverage area. They used to have a map. I did not see that, but they do have states & metro areas listed.

Lack of national coverage is why insurers don't give rate concessions on high value equip such as dozers, excavators, etc.

Again a good product, but does it meet your real needs? Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Which reminds one of the old joke about the guy who left his accordian in his car and parked it at the mall. When he returned his worst fears were realized - someone had broken in and there were two accordians in his car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Currently LoJack for Motorcycles is only available for sale in select cities in Massachusetts, Florida, and Texas. As we expand to new areas we will add dealers to the locator."

Right now it doesn't seem to be available hardly anywhere, so IMO not really worth looking into yet. One guy on 1000rr.net forum had one installed (like $600 total) and I forget how much the monthly fee is, but not really that cheap.

I'll just stick to wedging my bike between my truck and some bushes, disc lock and cabling it to the bumper of my truck. I have guns too, but sleep pretty hard, only to wake up to pee.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Right, this is where I was confused. If the transmitter is only a milliamp, it has a really really short range to receive a signal to activate and broadcast its whereabouts, so, I wonder how they do that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's works like a pager (reciever) most of time. It is constanly listening for a signal which doesn't take much power (milliamps). When it recieves the appropriate signal ("hey you are stolen tell me where you are", it wakes up and starts broadcasting like cell this time using more power. It takes more power to transmit then to passively recieve remember. I think the technology is sound and I don't think it is going drain your battery. I know guys who have expensive customized cars who swear by it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I always wondered is: If your bike (or car) gets stolen - why would you want it back? I personally want the insurance to pay me out.

I would not want the bike back after a 17-year-old takes a joyride on it and tries to impress his friends with stunts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm a selfish sadistic SOB I guess, I want to track them because I don't share (I bought it, it's mine dammit!). That they took it, I want thier ass sitting next to Bubba in jail.

Beside, my insurance is high enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never understood that argument

Yeah, and you can use the same lame excuse about your significant other too-- 'He/She is so damn ugly, unattentive, stupid, and lazy that no one will want to woo them from me.'

Or your job-- 'I am so underpaid and unappreciated, with no hopes of promotion, that no one will want my position. It's the ultimate job security.'

Or your health-- 'If I'm a leper, none of those pesky Red Cross people will want me to donate blood.'

"If you own a motorcycle that nobody wants..." That somes it up right there. Nobody, including yourself... Sometimes it's nice to have something others wish they could have. The trick is to make sure the dirtbags who take, uhm... initiative?... to get your desired possessions don't succeed.

I think LoJack would be great for motorcycles. It should come as a standard option on all motorcycles from the manufacturers. Then, it could be covered under warranty. It would also lower insurance too, with many insurance providers.

That, or you could ride a pile of poop your whole life.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree, Sarnali. I had a Jag once. It was pristine. I loved more than my own mother. In a sudden fit of nicotine withdrawl, I smoked in it. I realized the horror of what I had done after just two drags, but it was too late. Between the smell in the headliner and the marred chrome inside the ash tray...I just couldn't handle the damage. So I made my insurance company give me a new one.

I agree that "insurance" really means "entitlement resultant from forced savings." We give them our hard-earned money every month, and for what, I ask you? Certainly it's their ethical obligation to periodically return the favor, thus absolving us of fiscal responsibility for auto purchases, and coincidentally fulfilling our Constitutional right to immediate gratification! Here here!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Who needs a Lojak when you drive an "81 KZ750?

But when I get my new City X this Saturday, I'll park it where I can see it and use a five screw Model 27.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yeah well I did and he's right.

Call me "Mr. City X" in a few days.

Of course the ol' lady insisted I sell off "the fleet". But we compromised on just selling the street bikes.

Tonight I'll be putting knobbies on everything.

Hahahha!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That sounds right. To recieve a radio frequency signal, all you have to do is power an operational amplifier and a simple processor, a milliamp is enough. You are just picking up "vibrations of electrons in the air" that somebody else wiggled for you.

The wiggling (transmitting) is the hard part, that is what consumes the power, if you are just passively listening, you can do that all day long with very little power.

So the processor just listens to all the codes transmitted all day long, and waits to see if one of them is the one that it has been assigned. If so, it goes into blabber mode and it starts transmitting, and the power consumption goes up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.