Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excellent results, but in addition to the tracking thingy, there should be a spring-loaded spike that shoots up through the seat.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Newer Sport Bikes are the Most Popular Theft Targets

Did anyone notice that thieves are proving kpaul, the GMP, correct again. Cruisers are losing popularity even among thieves..It also suggests that Sport bikes have higher value on the black market.. Of course I know the counter argument to this but I'll wait see if the GPTB can mount an intelligent argument or will they kbash.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Newer Sport Bikes are the Most Popular Theft Targets

Squids crash their bikes. Thieves steal them for the parts.

That wasn't even hard.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'm curious as to the number of LoJack-equipped Motos stolen that were NOT recovered (if any).

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
With 70,000 thefts in 2005, this shows LoJack isn't even making a DENT in the theft-ring. With an average cost of $10,000/Moto (an arbitrary but not-unreasonable number I just pulled out of my arse) there's still $695,000,000+ of stolen Motos out there.

And they say Crime doesn't Pay.

At a (guesstimated) low-return of $0.10 on the Dollar, that's still nearly $7,000,000 of "profit" for the Thieves.

And you KNOW it's more than that.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Newer Sport Bikes are the Most Popular Theft Targets

Who on Earth would be happy that his favorite bike would be most likely to be stolen?

Yet another reason to avoid those race replicas. Not only do they kill their own riders more than any other but they're most likely to end up stolen!

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is a scam in which someone (usually the owner of the item in question) puts in a bogus bid in order to drive up the price.

We were discussing this at the latest meeting of the Collector Spoon Addicts Support Group, in fact. Hypothetically discussing, I mean. I need help...

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is great except for the whole ' C-4 in the frame ' thing. I know that stuff is stable and all but what about some kind of electronic failure/short circuit?

'hard to ride' would become an understatement if it happened to you at 80 mph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can tell you there was at least one, my 2001 VFR800, in Albuquerque... the LEO's say it's such an industry in the Southwest border states that they have it in a truck and the LOJack discarded/destroyed in minutes... and within hours my Italian Red beauty, complete with all the aftermarket bits and all the suspension and engine changes and development, the finished product of hundreds of hours spent wrenching and tweaking and tuning and polishing to make it exactly the bike I wanted was across the border and on its way to South America. I guess I should feel respected, the LEO's said they only steal the best of the best...

Somewhere in Buenos Aires or Rio somebody's riding the world's sweetest VFR, and for me, LoJack didn't do Jack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK, a statistically negligent return for the close to $1,000 LoJack investment . In short, doesn't even register on the graph. So, this is NOT the answer, unless of course, there were only 292 bikes equipped with the thingee in the first place! BTW, can the font be any smaller on the article?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I work on Autotheft in the Atlanta area. If a car is stolen an it is equipped with LoJack it is usually recovered that day. I have not recovered a motorcycle with LoJack on it. That is probably due to the fact that Shops around here are just now getting certified to do it. If you live in an Apartment in Atlanta and you have a new sportbike chances are pretty good it is going to get stolen. LoJack is around 600 dollars please get it I want to catch some motorcycle thieves.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well great, I just go out and buy a Suzuki and they're the number one stolen bikes...ain't that some sh*t

I tell ya' a fellah' just can't get ahead these days...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Btw I think it should be called LoJoke. If you check their website, to the "how it works" it shows a picture step-cycle, and it goes like this:

1. Installation ---> 2. Notify police bike is stolen --> 3. Police activate the unit --> 4. Police locate signal --> 5. Your bike is returned to you! (with a guy in his garage smiling)

What a joke, I've never heard of a police officer actually using this. I think if anything it's more that the police contact lojack company who then track it down themselves, at least in most cases. Larger departments might actually have access to equipment to track the bikes, but I doubt the majority of police departments do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Uh actually lojack gives the police department the tracking systems for free. I recover cars with it all the time. Got one last week with a murderer driving it believe me LoJack works very well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.