Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most Likely to be Stolen: 1. Suzuki GSX-R; 2. Yamaha YZF-R; 3. Suzuki Hayabusa; 4. Honda CBR; 5. Kawasaki ZX-R.

Least Likely to be Stolen: 1. Suzuki Savage; 2. BMW R1200C; 3. Yamaha Virago; 4. Honda Nighthawk; 5. Triumph Bonneville.

Most Likely to be in a Crash: 1. Suzuki GSX-R ; 2. Suzuki TLR; 3. Kawasaki ZX-R; 4. Honda CBR; 5. Yamaha YZF-R.

Ricers are more likely to crash. I would never ever have thought that.

Least Likely to be in a Crash: 1. Yamaha Virago; 2. Honda Rebel; 3. Honda Nighthawk; 4. Suzuki Savage; 5. Harley-Davidson Tour Glide.

from http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-theft/

·
Registered
540 Posts
What hurts the most in this article is that they're using our stolen bike parts to build those crappy custom choppers with paint shakers for motors. My Aprilia cringes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Most Stolen

The bikes most often stolen are sportbikes. These are used as disposabikes by squids learning to do stunts. They're aren't registered and licensed, and when they're crashed, they're abandoned.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
There's much more money and personal swag for concentrating on drug busts. More promotions too. Vehicle theft and home burglary enjoy the least attention from LE.

If you've ever seen the inside of a home or the garage of a cop on the drug squad you'd know. Heck, in some cities cops are paid 10% commissions on the forfeitures.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The best way to avoid bike theft is to own a bike no one would want to steal. After all, who'd want a '91 GSX1100G or an '84 Magna? Heck, I don't even want a Magna. I set it out on the street with the keys in it and it's still there a week later.

This makes people like me and mscuddy pretty safe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How much does LoJack cost anyway? Is there a yearly subscription fee? Can you transfer it to a new bike or do you have to buy it every time you buy a new vehicle? Etc etc. It's difficult for me to find this info.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I'm safe too. I've been riding my rat 73 CB750 to work. Nobody even wants to park near it, much less steal it. It's a fantastic bike. If I ever crash it, just unscrew the license plate and go. Leave it for the cleanup crew.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No surprise here. The most likely to crash bikes are generally ridden by those choosing to be fast and/or reckless -- regardless of rider experience -- so that makes sense. Whereas, the east likely to crash are smaller, starter bikes (mostly) generally chosen by new riders or pragmatic commuters who aren't looking to be insanely fast and/or reckless on their bikes. The most likely to be stolen made sense too, but the least likely threw me a bit.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My V-Strom 650 isn't likely to draw much attention by thieves, whereas I had to constantly worry -- especially in my old neighborhood -- about my ZX-9R. Regardless, where you park, and what other cars/bikes you park next to, and how you lock up your bike probably are the best deterrents... a LoJack seems excessive and pricey unless you have a one-of-a-kind bike.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"The most likely to crash bikes are generally ridden by those choosing to be fast and/or reckless -- regardless of rider experience"

Amen. Avoiding an accident has little to do with skill, lots to do with attitude.

I am also somewhat surprised that ricers are the most likely to be stolen. I would have expected Harleys to be way up there. Not that I am sorry to hear that though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I work on the Auto Theft Task Force here in Atlanta I talk with the Lo Jack guy a lot and we track a lot of them. If your bike has Lo Jack on it and it passes through Atlanta we will find it 99% of the time. It cost 600 dollars no one knows what it looks like not even the police. Installers go through rigorous background checks. In Atlanta sport bikes always get stolen. They tried to get mine but couldn't get it started. It is a great system I highly recommend it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.