Motorcycle Forums banner

Long term reliability of Buell lightning?

65K views 166 replies 68 participants last post by  WaltB 
#1 ·
Yeah, first post! (I haven't been getting out enough lately.)

Actually, I considered an XB, too. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about older Buells, but I hear the new ones are pretty reliable.

Of course, I don't own one (just thought the price was too high), but I did a substantial amount of asking around and reading. Obviously an owner would be a much better source, but hope this helps.

Note: Short wheelbase, good torque, high bars and a small woman could be a painful combination. If she gets one, tell her to go easy at first. I've heard of brave, brawny men looping those things when they got a little too excited. Especially the XB12.

#27 ·
Good choice on the Buell, I am keeping my eyes peeled for a low miles XB9s myself... know what I do when I want to know how a thing holds up? I call a few dealers and ask to talk to the service manager. Being un-salespeople mostly, they will usually totally give you the scoop. I think you'll find that beginning with the Blast, Buell reliability took a big step forward.

Amazing how people will parrot what they've read. Yes, they shake at idle, but there's nothing much smoother once rolling along. and if the wifey is smallish, she will dig the low seat, supershort wheelbase, etc.–tho the clutch might be a bit of a pull if she's as effeminate as most motojournalists.

#28 ·
My wife is also looking for a new ride and also faces the same seat height dilema. She is looking at the BMW F650CS and the Ducati 620. The Duck is about $3000 cheaper than the Buell. If she's serious about the Buell then she needs to demo ride one at a dealer or at any major AMA race.. I rode both versions of the XB9 and all I can say is that its very lightweight but has a heavy clutch and doesn't shift well.

#29 ·
I had a difficult time choosing theTriumph Speed 4 over the Buell. The earlier Sportster engined Buells worked great - I loved the feel of their motors and they weren't at all intimidating like the crotch rockets - except that the gearbox wouldn't let me engage neutral and this was annoying. I used to have a 750 Virago and frankly I don't see how someone can hop off of that bike and onto a sport bike. They are very different in feel and ride whatever manufacturer you go with. I would think there are plenty of Jap cruisers to choose from that will feel a lot like the Virago if you really need to upgrade. What's wrong with the Virago? Is she bored with it?

#30 ·
I am a pretty short guy (5'6") and was seriously considering a Buell Cyclone or Lightning X1 (still a lot of new 2002 and 2003 models out there) to upgrade my Nighthawk 750. But after I actually got on few different bikes and experienced how heavy they felt, I determined that (for me) being able to have both feet flat on the ground wasn't as big an issue as I thought it would be and am now the proud, tickled-pink owner of a naked '03 Suzuki SV1000. For me, the long-term reliability issue outweighed me keeping both feet on the ground while reaching for the stars. ;)

#31 ·
First, Join a Buell Owners Group

Before making a decision have your wife join (membership is free) one or all of these groups:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Buell-XB/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Buell/

Have her state all her concerns, likes and dislikes; ask about problems. She'll probably find other female riders in the groups as well. Ask whether there are good mechanics and Buell shops in your area. Then make your determination. Buell and H-D have been on a major quality-control emphasis since 2000 and it is starting to show. I would have no problem owning a Buell.

#32 ·
Re: She's look incredibly cute on a Monster

Ok I'm officially jealous. The Italians do make beautiful looking machinery. Ferrari did help with the engine development. Now that you are over 40 putting on that much needed extra weight will be much easier. VWW

#34 ·
I believe the stock Breva seat is 31" but I think a 28" seat is available. I'd take the Breva too, even over the sv650. Won't see one on every corner, shaft drive, Italian and probably reliable. But I'd go for the new Sportster if I had to buy Harley. Too many of my friends have had trouble with Buell. One of my co-workers rides a Blast and has had no trouble with it though. But then I don't see how that bike could make enough power to hurt itself.

#35 ·
Good site thanks has an interesting poll

Date: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:43 pm

Subject: Poll results for Buell-XB

The following Buell-XB poll is now closed. Here are the

final results:

POLL QUESTION: What problems have you had with your

XB Firebolt or Lightning?

CHOICES AND RESULTS

- Drive Belt - Cracked/Broken, 1 votes, 0.91%

- Drive Belt - No Problems, 13 votes, 11.82%

- Suspension - Leak or something else, 0 votes, 0.00%

- Suspension - No Problems, 13 votes, 11.82%

- Rocker Box Gasket - Leak, 1 votes, 0.91%

- Rocket Box Gasket - No Problems, 12 votes, 10.91%

- Electrical - Rough running in rain, 1 votes, 0.91%

- Electrical - No Problems, 10 votes, 9.09%

- Transmission - Broken shaft or something else, 2 votes, 1.82%

- Transmission - No Problems, 11 votes, 10.00%

- Stock Exhaust - Cracks/Breaks, 0 votes, 0.00%

- Stock Exhaust - No Problems, 11 votes, 10.00%

- Race Kit - Idling/Tuning glitches, 0 votes, 0.00%

- Race Kit - No Problems, 7 votes, 6.36%

- Oil Cooler - Leaks, 3 votes, 2.73%

- Oil Cooler - No Problems, 10 votes, 9.09%

- My HD/Buell Shop - Don't go near 'em, 1 votes, 0.91%

- My HD/Buell Shop - Only if I have to, 2 votes, 1.82%

- My HD/Buell Shop - Getting better, 5 votes, 4.55%

- My HD/Buell Shop - I couldn't be happier, 7 votes, 6.36%

#36 ·
Re: Good site thanks has an interesting poll

Am I reading this correctly? Of 14 resondents, 1 had a drive belt failure, of 13 respondents 2 had a serious transmission problem, or 13 respondents 3 had an oil leak? I've never seen complaint rates that high before in other groups polls.

I know the unhappy tend to respond to the polls more than the happy, but still those are very high rates. Sounds like my 2001 Harley, where my dealer and I were never able to stop a small oil leak (other than selling the bike).

Bryan

"bbtowns"

#39 ·
Re: Good site thanks has an interesting poll

Yep I am with you. I thought it was a little high but like you said the unhappy usually respond to these things. However, I think that if there was 2 in 100 serious transmission problems that would be too high for Japanese standards. The 3 with an oil leak blows me away. Seems like that should never happen on a modern motorcycle.

#40 ·

The "Middle Class Misery Index" of Bush's and

previous administrations and found a 13-point dip, from 112 to 99,

between 2000 and 2003. A higher score means families are better off.

The report listed a drop of five points during President Reagan's two

terms, a decline of 12 points during the presidency of Bush's father,

George H.W. Bush, and a 23-point improvement under Clinton.

Click here

#42 ·
You have never ridden a bolt have you?

Who cares what you think if you have never ridden it.

Click here

#43 ·

Click here

#45 ·
A new 2004 Buell Lightening Owner speaks

I bought a new red 2004 Buell Lightening XB12S in Sept. of 2003, see pic at http://www.geocities.com/gbrummett/grants_2004_buell.gif

I now have over 7,000 miles on it and it's been one of the better bikes I have ever owned. It doesn't use any oil, gets 42 to 50 mpg depending on how you ride it and has never leaked a drop of oil. The only issue I had was a recall to reroute the horn wiring to prevent chafing of the wire on the horn mounting bolt. I didn't think it needed rerouting as it showed no wear but they rerouted it for free and gave it the customary washing anyway.

I also purchased the complete race kit, which really transforms this bike from a quiet Ok top end to a bike that sounds much nicer and has a much more usable power band to redline from 4,000 rpm, see dyno at http://www.geocities.com/gbrummett/Buell_XB12_Dyno.jpg. The slight loss down at lower RPM isn’t even noticeable.

After break-in I had this new bike out on a country road and held a sustained 130-mph for several miles without any problems at all.

My older Buell (a 2001 M2 Cyclone) would puke oil out the air cleaner at any sustained speed over a 100, and it was very prone to rocker box gasket leaks in the winter.

To say I am much happier with the new Buell would be an understatement. Even the new key is wearing better and I couldn't be happier.

If anyone has any questions please e-mail grant.brummett@novellus.com

#51 ·

Yes, it's great. I can't imagine anything that will garner more votes for Bush than Kook antagonizing people with his stupid links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.