Motorcycle Forums banner

Long term reliability of Buell lightning?

65K views 166 replies 68 participants last post by  WaltB 
#1 ·
Yeah, first post! (I haven't been getting out enough lately.)

Actually, I considered an XB, too. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about older Buells, but I hear the new ones are pretty reliable.

Of course, I don't own one (just thought the price was too high), but I did a substantial amount of asking around and reading. Obviously an owner would be a much better source, but hope this helps.

Note: Short wheelbase, good torque, high bars and a small woman could be a painful combination. If she gets one, tell her to go easy at first. I've heard of brave, brawny men looping those things when they got a little too excited. Especially the XB12.

#152 ·
KPaul, You Ignorant ****

You only answered my first question. You can't answer the others because (1) specific, actionable intelligence simply isn't in the PDB, and thus you cannot quote from it, and (2) you have no clue as to what specific actions someone reading the PDB on 8/6 could have taken before 9/11 which would have prevented or reduced the possibility of that particular attack from occurring. Hindsight is 20/20. Try reading the PDB without it.

Once again, I want a specific answer - What specific actions would you have taken which would have reduced the likelihood that hijackers would use airplances taking off from Boston as missiles against office buildings? No diatribes, please, just answer the question with specific action points.

#153 ·
Re: test ride! :)

Because the Honda is still a better all around ride than the triumph is... that ifintesimal amount of better handling and admititdly better suspension does not prove to make the speed 4 a better street bike.

Lap times are hardly going to matter to this guys wife IMO...

#154 ·
Dear George and Connie and Yamahaha, KPaul for President

I Osma Bin Laden will attack the U.S. on 9/11/01. My followers will take highjack airplanes and fly them into targets in NY and Washington. I invite you to watch.

RSVP

Your sworn enemy

Osama

P.S. I don't work for Sadam.

Does the above qualify for specific, actionable intelligence? Your argument is weak Yamahaha

As commander in chief I would of directed the CIA director to form a task force with the FBI and NORAD. To plan for possible hijackings by Bin Laden targets being Washington and NY. Another memo told me about the plan to use planes as missles. I know you think I am absurd, but if this memo hit my desk after the Cole bombing etc. That is what I would of done. Also I have seen the movie Executive Decision :) Doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you take a fully loaded 767 and fly into a building it makes a big noise. Its nothing new using planes a bombs.

#155 ·
Dear George, Connie and Yamahaha

I Osma Bin Laden will attack the U.S. on 9/11/01. My followers will take highjacked airplanes and fly them into targets in NY and Washington. I invite you to watch.

RSVP

Your sworn enemy

Osama

P.S. I don't work for Sadam.

Does the above qualify for specific, actionable intelligence? Your argument is weak Yamahaha

As commander in chief I would of directed the CIA director to form a task force with the FBI and NORAD. To plan for possible hijackings by Bin Laden targets being Washington and NY. Another memo told me about the plan to use planes as missles. I know you think I am absurd, but if this memo hit my desk after the Cole bombing etc. That is what I would of done. Also I have seen the movie Executive Decision :) Doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you take a fully loaded 767 and fly into a building it makes a big noise. Its nothing new using planes as bombs.

#156 ·
Re: For those of you who insist on defending Bush on the August 6 memo (PDB)

I worked for the ATF in 1994 and that year there was over 500 terrorist bombings. None of them were even considered national news. None of them outside the ATF were called anything other than murder. They were terrorist, and lots of them were by foreign nationals. So why now have we started to wake up and call them terrorist? At least now we have started to do something? It took the deaths of 3500 people to wake you all up! They even attacked and killed our soldiers during WWII in every Muslim country including the Phillipines. For over 60 years our Embassies have been receiving information about attacks, and US citizens being murdered. So you're now going to start paying attention and pointing the finger. Wake up people!! Go back to school, or get out into the 10-40 countries and look for yourselves. They want to kill you. They've been doing it for years.

#157 ·
Come on. B.S.

"I worked for the ATF in 1994 and that year there was over 500 terrorist bombings" No way. Sorry not buying that.

Also most Muslims don't hate us. Go to the Middle east like I have. I spent several months in Israel. I traveled to Egyt, Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan. You would be suprised how the Palistinians will be friendly to Americans (more friendly than Jews sometimes). You are quoting ignorant Rush bull shyt. IT IS NOT BLACK AND WHITE OR SOME KIND OF HOLY WAR

#158 ·
My girlfriend is 5'3" tall 105 lbs and owns a 03 Buell XB9 Lightning (low). She had the same problem with other bikes...either the seat height was to high or the weight of the bike was too much for her to handle. She put on about 3500 miles last summer and hasn't had any mechanical problems to date. I ride a 03 Honda Super Hawk VTR1000 and find the Buell to be a bit rough by comparision. It shifts rather hard and the non-hydraulic cluch lever is much to stiff to pull with only two fingers. When we ride together all day, she complains of a sore left hand from all the effort needed to pull in the clutch. I tried to talk her into buying a SV650 or a Ducati Monster 620 but she's related to the Davidson family and needed to be loyal to the family. We took a vacation to Mexico over the winter and rented Ducati Monsters...She spend a day riding the 620 and loved how easy the cluch lever worked. I also can't understand why the bike is so expensive...if it was me I'd buy the Ducati or SV and I live in Milwaukee, WI home of the Buell!

#162 ·
Task Force KooK Would Have Been Illegal

Your "answer" demonstrates the bankruptcy of your positions. First, your alleged memos are obviously not in the PDB briefing. Why not simply admit you are wrong, and move on? There is no actionable intelligence in the PDB period. Second, forming a task force (to plan what?) is not a specific action which would have done anything concrete to prevent 9/11. How about measures such as spending more money on airport scanners and security personnel such as air marshalls? Third, the FBI and the CIA could not exchange information that easily - witness the current calls for disqualification of Jamie Gorelick from the 9/11 commission for her participation in erecting a wall between the FBI counterterrorist branch and its criminal branch.

Instead of hating Bush for being Bush, why not try reasoned argument (at another site, perhaps).

#163 ·
Yamahaha is in denial

"There is no actionable intelligence in the PDB period" Tell that to some of the 9/11 survivors. Connie Rice is fraud.

Yes you make a good point about the CIA and FBI sharing info. But being the farsighted individual I am (KPaul the Great Motorcycle Prophet, I am suprised you haven't heard of me :) )., I would of propose new legislation to create a joint Agency task force of terrorism.

"witness the current calls for disqualification of Jamie Gorelick from the 9/11 " Republican grandstanding even the Republican Co-Chair says its bull shyt.

#164 ·
Re: Come on. B.S.

I no longer have the 94 stats, but all you have to do is go to the ATF.gov website. They don't have the 94 posted, it now starts @ 2000. (http://www.atf.gov/aexis2/index.htm). Here is a sample of 2000 in six years it's almost doubled.;

BOMBING

total, injured, killed, damage

ACTUAL 506 43 8 $414,655

ACTUAL INCENDIARY 134 7 7 $4,843,321

ATTEMPTED 86 0 0 $5

ATTEMPTED INCENDIARY 45 0 0 $1,400

PREMATURE EXPLOSION 36 31 4 $375,000

Total: 807 81 19 $5,634,681

Ah it's should be lined up in columns. You can figure it out. Rant, rave ,and say it isn't true but it won't change the truth. I have no reason to lie.

I almost bought a Buell! I love the looks also. I have a BMW K1200GT, my wife likes it. Comfortable two up. But I should have bought the Yamaha FJR1300!!

#165 ·
Re: This has nothing to do with motorcycles

You're not countering lie's your ranting and raving like a mad man. Sorry man read your own stuff, you even called me a liar and you have no clue who I am.

You want more facts?

Back to bikes I'm getting old enough I'm thinking about the the new Vincent (http://www.vincentmotors.com) or Norton (http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/). Anybody hear anymore about them? Hey MO how about a review??

#166 ·
I have a 1998 Buell S3 which I bought new. Its got over 30,000 miles on it now and have never failed me. Then engine has not been touched except for maintenance. The only problems I had were with the original ruber isolators which were a known issue and replaced under warrenty. Hope this help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.