Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Over the years, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of lampooning a Harley's traditional tendency to leak fluids like a butchered hog, shed parts like a stripper and accelerate like it was tied to a hydrant. But those days are over."

Yeah, those days were over in 1985, but I guess it took him about 22 years to figure it out.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Wait- The GMP hasn't chimed in yet that v-twins are dead and the cruiser market is dying wit it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is it that he claims better mileage? HD certainly doesn't. A quick check of the HD website confirms: 2006 RK economy 39/46, 2007 RK economy 32.5/45. Of academic interest really, as no one (myself included) buys a Harley for the "efficiency"... You'd expect the six speed to at least show better highway numbers?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I'm not a cruiser guy, and the "Harley mythos" means jack squat to me, but I think a Sportster would be a great toddlin'-around bike. And I really, really liked the Super Glide Sport. Unfortunately, I think I was the only person who did, outside of magazine testers.

The Harley "lifestyle" crap is laughable. Their bikes are not.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
They were over before that. As we know, most loud and whinney Harley critics have never even ridden one, let alone owned and lived with one. A stock Harley, even an AMF Harley is as reliable as any other bike on the road, always has been.

"Unreliable" Harleys are the ones owned by the idiot who buys 1500lbs worth of aftermarket crap and slaps it on with his toolbox consisting of 1 cresent wrench, some channel locks and a bent screwdriver, then when his rolling turd falls apart he's crying about how unreliable it is.

Or blowhards like our Motorcycle Prophyactic who can't even keep a Kawasaki on the road, let alone a Harley.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Sounds like a paid advertisement. Won't matter. Let me say this again Gen Y will not be buying cruisers in any volume approaching the Baby Boomers numbers Yes I am happy HD has finally engineering a motorcycle that meets Garrett's approval after 50 years of trying. Don't think folks would give a Japanese brand that much patience. Harley needs to face facts improve the Buell and expand the VRod line. i.e. find new applications for it. The day of the traditional cruiser is fast approaching the end. One these mornings HD will wake up and find out the world has changed. Building a better 57 Chevy (Road King) is not the answer.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Just did

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
That explains his out of touch with Gen Y and the rest of the country perspective.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I totally agree that there are no reliablility issues. Over four years hard riding, sun or rain, and not one problem. Nothing. It literally has not missed a beat.

But the power, increased 13%-17%? If we estimate 15%, the 64 hp on the rear wheel becomes 74 hp. That is simply not enough, not even near. For many that will not be an issue but there´s no chance my next bike will be a H-D.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Gen Y will not be buying cruisers in any volume approaching the Baby Boomers numbers"

Considering the Gen Y cohort is smaller, I'd say that's pretty much a safe bet.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Or as I said in a previous thread:

"Sorry, I shouldn't have made that statement without supporting evidence:

"Some twentysomethings down the street from me who don't ride said my Bandit looked tight and they think Harleys are lame."

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"That explains his out of touch with Gen Y and the rest of the country perspective."

Because no one under 40 lives in Chicago, and Chicago is nowhere near the middle of the US.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Everybody forgot the excesive heat, yes heat so intense that it keeps you from coming near the bike after a ride, and Harleys fix? The same old lame crap, they will modify the ignition system, so that the engine will only run on one cylinder until the heat goes down to tolerable levels. Just as lame as the attitude they had with the twin cam 88 bearing failures!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.