Motorcycle Forums banner

Looking for a duc

16K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  sarnali2 
#1 ·
Just got my oogata license (in japan you need a separate license for big bikes) and looking to get a new bike. I realize such open ended questions are bound to trail a mile of cruft, but I'm going to open myself up to it. I'm looking at the monster s2r, hypermotard, compared to the ktm superduke or the upcoming aprilia shiver. I'd like to hear what experienced duc riders have to say about the general characteristics of duc vs ktm's vs aprilia in terms of build quality, reliability of bikes, and maintenance costs. I have a friend who has a ktm 950SM and a smaller 450ex motocross bike, and swears by ktm reliability, but I don't like the plastiky feel fo the bike. Never seen an aprilia in the flesh, but I hear that they are all of top quality and finish. I know that Duc's carry the most 'sexy factor', but that aside, how to the manufacturers measure up?

any opinions?

#2 ·
Wow. You live in Japan and want a European bike? That's different.
I love the Aprilia's, but the dealers are somewhat sketchy here. And I think the KTM is butt ugly, though I hear it's fun to ride.
I've had a 2005 Monster 800 for about a year now. I commute daily, hit the canyons on the weekends, and take a ridiculously long trip (OK, about 1k miles) once a month. This bike is perfect for that kind of all around performance. I find it comfy for the long haul (which is weird because it's more comfy than my previous bike - a Katana - the alleged budget sport tourer), reliable, and crazy good in the corners. And I don't think there's anything sexier. You need to stay on top of valve adjustments which can be costly if you don't do it yourself. But the reliabilty of the Ducs these days is solid and the maintenance is at least half of what it used to be. I'm an owner, so obviously I'm biased. Added bonus: there's a huge online community of Monster owners at the DML. Most of them are way past the point of no return when it comes to mods, so there's no shortage of information regarding just about anything you can think of doing on or to your bike.
Good luck!

#3 ·
thanks zenjim, that helps!
Yes, I'm looking for european bikes because I think jap bikes are good for 4-bangers, but I'm looking for a twin for my next bike. I have a CB400SF Honda, and its great for commuting, but the smooth 4 cyclinder is a little lacking in inspiration and vibes. And if you gotta go twin, its gotta be european. (sorry HD fans)

#5 ·
I've owned two Ducatis. A 1998 ST2 and a 2003 Multistrada. The Aprilias are excellent bikes and you can't go wrong. The Shiver 750 is worth comparing to the Monster. I'd take two things into consideration (if you're buying new). First, are you in the city? I'm in Geneva, Switzerland. If I lived in Tokyo, I would not buy a 1000cc bike. You won't get out of second gear, Japan is HOT in the summer, and Ducatis will suffer through a hot, slow city, but they won't like it and neither will you. That leaves the Multistrada 620 (a excellent bike) and the Monsters. If, however, you're outside town, by all means get a bigger one. Second issue is height. I'm about 176cm and the Multistrada is a bit of a reach for me. Love the bike, but backing up is not as easy as my St2. Consider this. As for reliability, I think the days of Italian bikes falling apart are over (since 2003 or so). Moto Guzzi, Ducati and Aprilia are making serious bikes now. So good luck and enjoy.

#6 ·
Don't forget that you can include the new BMW F800s on your list as well as the Buells. That new Rotax powered Buell looks very interesting. The BMWs may not be sporty enough for you but the Buell would be very differn't
Don't forget the Ducati reto bikes also. They look like a lot of fun but then I am old :)

#9 ·
Re: KTM reliability, you might want to read this month's Motorcyclist. They have a long term KTM in their garage. Among they reported:

"The finicky CV carburetors came with lean jetting that's difficult to get exactly right. Water pumps...will wear out..between 15,000 and 20,000 miles. A drying fuel pump makes the bike feel like it's running out of gas. A noisy starter means the Bedix-bit is on the outs. Watch out for rusty spokes..."

"Aside from that, how did you like the parade, Mrs. Kennedy?"

#11 ·
I tried an F800 a few months ago and liked it very much. It was a bit tall for me but not too bad (I'm 5' 7".) The ride was excellent, and the handling was nice although I did not push it much on a 20-minute test ride. What I liked best was the engine - I like vertical twins, having owned two old British bikes, and the engine in the BMW let *just* enough vibe through to give it a lovely character without being annoying. I liked the vert-twin grunt and sound too. Overall, I'm not in the market for that kind of bike but I could recommend it to anyone who is!

#12 ·
G'day from sunny Australia,I own a 2003 749s and my wife owns a 1998 750 Monster.I've done just over 30000kms on the 749 and the Monster's almost up to 55000.Reliability is not an issue,nothing has broken,fallen off or stuffed up on either of the bikes in the years we've owned them.I do the oil/filter changes myself and leave the valves and cambelts to the dealer.The build quality and paintwork (red of course!) is first class and both bikes still look like new.If I sound like a Ducati tragic then it's the ownership experience that has made me so!My wife is foaming at the mouth waiting for the new Monsters to be released in November and I'm more than a little interested in the rumoured 848.Even with summer temperatures here getting over 40C we have never had any problems with overheating.Buy one,you'll love it!KTM's have a pretty average build quality ,Aprilias look like **** and BMW's.........why would you bother?

#13 ·
thanks, I guess it was just some random glitches with the 1098. I have 2 friends with them, and they reported some bad electrical issues (like the bike showing in neutral when it was really in 1st!)

I test road the hypermotard and the s4r on the weekend, along with the ktms, and I gotta say, the ducs sound a lot better. I'm very impressed with the build quality of the hyperM, but the monster was a tad dissappointing in the mirrors were cheap plastic and practically falling apart (I could pry open the front and back face of the plastic molding just by adjusting the mirror! The bikini fairing also vibrated like a loose tooth at speed. Other than that, the monster was very solid, and a great bike. clutch was a little heavy vs the hyper though.

I'm sold on ducati now, I just have to decide WHICH ducati! S4R? Hyper? New monster?

#14 ·
hi I dont no lf you have got a bike yet but iv got a Buell XB12R and find it alot of fun and thay also have the city X & SS long but as thay are air cooled and genarate alot of heat probley not so good for round town also my wife rides a 1993 900ss and since we have had it ervy time you turn the key it needs somthing done to it we have redone the motor once becuuse somone put tne fly wheel on rong i no the bikes not new but it has put me off ducatis

#15 ·
we have redone the motor once becuuse somone put tne fly wheel on rong i no the bikes not new but it has put me off ducatis
A mechanic's mistake isn't the bike's fault. I have no-idea of what other issues you've had, but one can hardly blame THAT particular incident on Ducati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.