Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Buy a Sportster!

Mate, you should get a Sportster. They're the all-round, do-everything motorcycle. A guy with no legs rode his around the world several times! (Dave Barr)

And before you start that silly laughing, ponder this - 1200 Sportsters pump out 107Nm of torque at only 3500rpm. That spells riding pleasure. Resale value is excellent and the new models don't vibrate like mine (Australian Health Care allows me to replace my fillings regularly)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well we already know you're not a "real motorcyclist" as for some reason you apparently "lost the riding bug". Also, you can't be very hard bitten again as I see you're waiting until next summer to make the big purchase. Any advice given on this forum will be a wasted effort. You might as well just go ahead and buy the bike you find most visually attractive, and no one can give you advice on that issue. I think you're just going through some mid life thing and I don't want to understand. It's probably a good thing you're holding off on the purchase until next summer. By then something more important will come along, like new siding and windows for the house. Make sure you let this forum know all about your oh so carefully thought out purchase. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful read.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In general terms speaking, I have not met many Honda people being happy with anything non-Honda, especially something built by THE company. Has something to do with real and PERCEIVED reliability. First thing wrong on the non-Honda bike and you'll blame yourself, even though the same or worse could have happened with the Honda.

As for recomendations: Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ncelik, you got that right on the head!

I have a friend who bought a 919, and it was very un-honda-like...the battery went flat about every other ride, and it was in the shop, being figured-out so long, that Honda made a payment for him! Turned-out to be a flawed part in the charging system. Point is, any brand can leave you on the side of the road.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been out of riding for about 15 years and I'm getting back into it right now too. I already bought my bike (a used BMW) and I'm loving every minute of it. Apparently though, according to GSXRWolf, I'm not a real motorcyclist either even though I take motorcycling seriously, practice the skills I learned in MSF, and plan on putting more than a few miles on my bike.

I've gotta say it's really disappointing to see that attitude. Maybe I'm wrong but aren't we all better off if we have as many people on motorcycles as possible, even part-time riders and those who want/need to wait to get their next bike? We should be encouraging everyone to ride in whatever way that suits them. The more people that ride the safer we all are, right?

Hardcore or not so much, people should be able to enjoy motorcycling however they want.

Anyway, to get off my soap box, seems like with MadCuban's Honda history a VFR might be good choice.

my $.02

·
Registered
179 Posts
any of the above mentioned bikes is fine.

sit on them, try out the controls to make sure they're comfortable.

like the look?

Seat not too stiff/soft/high/low?

price in your budget.

it's all a personal decision which no one can 'suggest'

my pics for bikes to look at: *in no specific order*

HD 1200 sportster

Suzuki SV1000 (although the seat is quite high)

Honda 919

Triumph Speed Triple

Ducati Monster 1000 S2

good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sure,

--went to grad-school, needed the cash

--quit grad-school and landed a series of really crappy paying jobs, needed cash

--no more crappy paying jobs but lived in Minnesota and I just couldn't handle the idea of paying for something that I could only use 6 months a year (call me cheap, I guess)

--just moved to California and suddenly it's 15 yrs later

·
Registered
51 Posts
DUDE, INTERCEPTORZ TOTALLY SUCK!

THEY DON'T WHEELIE SO GOOD, THE BODYWORK IZ HELLA EXPENSIVE AND NOT ONE OF MY COUSINZ HAVE ONE.

YOU CAN TOTALLY GET A USED GSXR1000 FOR AROUND $8 OR $9 G'Z. IT IZ THE ONLY CHOICE BECAUSE IT TOTALLY PULLZ AWESOME WHEELIEZ AND IF THE COPZ COME AFTER YOU YOU CAN JUST TAKE OFF AND THEY WILL NEVER CATCH YOU, EVEN IF THEY SEND OUT A HELLACOPTER BECAUSE THEY CAN ONLY DO LIKE 150 AND YOU CAN GO 180 ON THE GIXXER.

IF YOU ARE AS GOOD A RIDER AZ ME YOU MIGHT MAKE IT THREE OR FOUR WEEKZ WITHOUT CRASHING. JUST BE SURE TO WEAR GOOD PROTECTIVE GEAR, LIKE THE HOCKEY PADZ I WUZ WEARING WHEN I CRASHED. ALSO, YOUR FRIENDZ MIGHT BE WEARING FLIP-FLOPZ, BUT THOSE COME OFF TOO EAZY. GET A PAIR OF SPORT SANDALZ WITH REALLY STRONG STRAPZ.

ALSO, A RACE-REPLICA HELMET GETZ YOU MORE RESPECT FROM THE PO-LICE. IF THEY THINK YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL RACER THEY WILL PROBABLY LET YOU GO WITH A WARNING, IF THEY CATCH YOU.

HANG LOOSE, BRA! LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY MORE ADVIZE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't know why GSXRWolf took a swipe at me since he defines a rider differently from me. I got rid of my bike because i had to choose bewteen keeping my bike or sell it to finish my masters in education. Life happened; two kids and a mortage. Riding has always lurked in back of my mind. Thanks for the words of encourage from all, especially Wynton. We seem to have same backgrounds. Will post when i get my bike.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Re: DUDE, INTERCEPTORZ TOTALLY SUCK!

Hey Mr. A/C!

Good to hear from you! Itz been a while!

What happen, they disconnect your cable?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
If you liked the Interceptor, you'll LOVE the Triumph Sprint RS or ST!

You can get a two or three year old model for the money you're willing to spend.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.