Motorcycle Forums banner

Loud Pipe Perspective

13693 Views 82 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  mesoglea
Perhaps NY should just legalize lanesplitting and then there'll be no problem. Might just ease that traffic congestion a little as well.

Oh, and First Post!!
1 - 2 of 83 Posts
Re: Look at me Perspective

Interesting...

You criticize that "we all get lumped together"; yet, primarily you're linking irresponsible behavior with one specific age group and one type of bike. I'm surprised you haven't seen cruisers or tourers ridden by more "mature" adults perform completely foolish/reckless maneuvers on the street?

I'm also surprised by your position. You're in the U.S. military to protect/defend the freedom provided by the constitution (thank you very much!) and yet you're proposing restrictions and/or removal of it. We need people in this country to be more responsible. That's a cultural problem for which more "rules" will not correct.

While I completely support the education process, I think it's naive to believe that simply mandating an MSF course is going to counter a lack of using common sense.

Tiered licensing? Do you really believe that the cagers nesbit writes about would have reacted/felt differently if the "___Flyers" were on 250cc Ninjas? Furthermore, most injuries/fatalities occur at speeds easily obtainable by almost any size bike. And while an inexperienced rider could most certainly get into "trouble" faster on a liter bike, many of today's 600's are more nimble and well over 100hp!...hardly newbie territory. But, that's not the point. It's simply not equitable to force a new rider to one level of performance and allow a new driver to get behind the wheel of an 05 Mustang GT or an H2 Hummer for that matter.

Finally, regarding safety gear. If you're "brave" enough to wear something inadequate for the activity, you should be brave enough to deal with the potential consequences. Insurance companies should have policies that encourage personal accountability. Why should my rates go up because someone else decided to play the odds and lost? Let that person bear the premium hike.

By the way, privilege and right are synonyms.
See less See more
Re: protect/defend the freedom

Hopefully, you just missed the larger points and didn't disregard them.

1. Freedom is a tenet of this country. What you're suggesting is counter to that, period. You can't have it both ways. Very similar to the arguments relative to the 1st amendment.

2. Attempting to FORCE someone to think/behave responsibly or to have/use common sense is not the answer.
1 - 2 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.