Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sat on a Buell XB9S recently. Not the Low, bu t the regular.

Nice ergonomics and I love the short wheelbase.

If I could afford a second bike, that would be in there. If I could afford a third, maybe a Harley SoftTail NightTrain FXLC#XK#L#Xxl Dyna Wide FAt Boy Custom retro crap.(harley has some stupid bike codes)

Also, I would add a Honda GoldWing, BMW k1200 and Guzzi and a Ducati 900SS an Aprilla Falco.

Geez, like women, I would like a Blond, a Redhead, a Brunette, an Asian, a Latin Lover an 8 foot tall Norwegian babe. I wonder if my wife will let me?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sat on a Buell XB9S recently. Not the Low, bu t the regular.

Nice ergonomics and I love the short wheelbase.

If I could afford a second bike, that would be in there. If I could afford a third, maybe a Harley SoftTail NightTrain FXLC#XK#L#Xxl Dyna Wide FAt Boy Custom retro crap.(harley has some stupid bike codes)

Also, I would add a Honda GoldWing, BMW k1200 and Guzzi and a Ducati 900SS an Aprilla Falco.

Geez, like women, I would like a Blond, a Redhead, a Brunette, an Asian, a Latin Lover an 8 foot tall Norwegian babe. I wonder if my wife will let me?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Little men in marketing

Actually, for several years now Harley and Buell have made a concerted effort to market bikes to one of (if not the) largest growing groups of motorcyclists out there... women.

Witness the Blast, and the hugger 883. I don't know too many guys between the ages of 20 and 40 (the demographic lots of other manufacturers are trying to appeal to) who would be caught dead on either of these bikes, but there are a lot of women who want to learn how to ride and think they're cute. Of course then they learn, get bored with them really fast and buy bigger bikes. H-D and Buell are banking on their well-documented customer loyalty so they can then sell them other bikes with bigger mark-ups.

This bike is just one more example of Buell's effort to attract and keep more female riders. I think it's a fantastic idea.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Little men in marketing

And its working......my wife and her sister just bought 2 Blasts.I was thinking towards something else,but at the price these were good deals....and the women loved the looks(go figure).These are exraordinarily easy bikes to learn on....my wife isnt a youngsterand she weighs only 115 but the user friendlinees of the Blast boosts her confidence and she is becoming quite proficient.I wouls recommend the Blast to any woman who wants to learn motorcycling but is a little nervous about it

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I can't imagine a more compact Buell, I feel like a monkey f***'n a football as it is [on the Buell XB9S & R's ] HD has always gone for the vertically challenged market so I guess it makes sense to carry it onto the Buell line. Sure see more women on Harley's than sportbikes so it works for them

·
Registered
238 Posts
I finally got to sit on a Buell at the motorcycle show last week in Mpls. Can you say "Tiny". But I can easily so how this thing would chew up the canyons! Now, about the engine... :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I completly agree with you. I think the concepts of Buells is great. I've ridden a Cyclone and it was a hoot. But considering a 600 cc inline 4 can smoke it, you would think they would lower the price to make them more attractive. Seriously, they are relying on the fact it has a Harley engine to keep the price up. They are odd ball bikes. I like that to a degree, but Buell's are becoming extinct. Harley needs to seel em, not make them into an exclusive bike.

As I mentioned further up, I looked at an XB9S recently and loved it. Did not ride it. But 9 or 10 grand for one?!?!? I don't think so.

10 grand for my 2002 VFR800 with ABS, Vtec Engine, Linked Brakes, Hard Luggage, great handling, sweet v4 motor. That is a no brainer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To each his own I guess... I looked hard at a 2002 VFR but bought a XB9R.

The VFR is definitely sweet, and it was a pretty difficult choice. The dealer ended up giving me a real good price on the Buell, so it was a couple grand less than an ABS VFR, and I liked the handling a little better.

Since everyone asks, reliability on the XB has so far been good (with around 3000mi). Nothing falling off or leaking out or burning off. I had problems with a previous Buell, and can say that they've earned their rep as having ``reliability issues'', but the XB really does seem to be holding together. [Actually, it's been pretty much maintence free -- belt drive, self-adjusting valves, doesn't burn any oil, etc. -- just fill tank and ride.]

And yes, an 600cc sport would most likely smoke it at the track (I don't do track days, but the XB is giving up enough ponies at the high end to make catching an R6 unlikely). On the other hand, my real-world experience is that the Buell is faster though commuting traffic than 600's (or at least the 600's that are commuting around me) . It's small and narrow enough to lane split anywhere and seems much quicker off stoplights than a four due to the abundance of low-end torque. Unless you're into driving like a squid, the ``scooter with torque'' aspect of the XB is great for commuting.

Overall, I'm happy with the XB since it works for the way I ride. But that VFR does look sweet....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where your Buell will whip all over the VFR is in Character. I have owned 3 v-twins and love them. This v-4 is nice and does have a sweet sound, but the Buells V-twin and unique looks DO put it on my list of bikes to own.

My prob, is I want them all.

Thank you for your review of Buell, it was very informative.

What I like about the Buell is it's size and riding position (XB9S). I bet it's a real hoot thru the tight stuff, which normally scare the crap out of me. My training wheels don't allow me to lean my bike over too far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts