Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
When I got my new $400 Shoei a guy at work was razzing me because his gold metalflake(circa '75) 3/4 helmet only cost him $20. at the swap meet. I remember thinking he's probably the stupidest ***** I ever met, and $ 20. was too much to protect his head.

These might be good enough, and definatly better than nothing, but I'll go on paying a premium for Shoei's and the like.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mullet Man eBass

Is that eBass sport'n a double chin? Holy crap it's the front portion of the bloody helmet! Actually, word is out that eBass is wearing a full-face as he grow'n a mullet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Product review...I like this. Fact is, bike tests may be really cool, but most of us can't be buying new bikes too often. Gear gets swapped around much more frequently. As an added bonus, gear reviews are more helpful. Most of us, for whatever reason, are emotionally tied to a given brand/bike/category. (Me, I was looking for a middleweight, comfortable, Japanese, water-cooled, injected naked that could take my 6'2"/170 lbs. frame. I bought an FZ-6. (Believe it or not, the specs came first, bike choice later.)) Gear choices tend to not be quite so irrational. (Yep, I'm savin' up for the pug ugly 'Stich. $1000 when you add the alterations to fit my funny size. Ouch.)

That said...two paragraphs?! On a helmet? Without a word about comfort? Could you expand this one after a couple hundred miles with the lid on? Pressure points? Fogging? Shield optics? Temperature? Noise? Buffeting? Scratch resistance? (Why is it that my black Shoei picks up scratches are a mere crossed look, where my white Simpson auto helmet, otherwise totally unrefined in comparison, can roll around and still look clean?)

Oh, and to contradict myself yet again, I wouldn't mind a middleweight naked shootout. FZ-6 vs. SV650S vs. Monster 620 vs. F650CS vs. 599. I'm missing one and I can't think of it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought two matching HJC Streetfighters. Nice looking, not too heavy, pretty comfortable. However, sounds like riding in a 747 with my head out the window when riding over 35 mph. I'm back to wearing my old rf-900. My point is: my next helmet will be a top-dollar unit that doesn't leave my ears ringing after going to the grocery store...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The $400 Shoei (paid $250 close out price) I bought 5 years ago is getting long in the tooth and will need replacement soon. I'm considering a Nolan. A friend of mine bought one and he really likes it. Says it's light, quiet, faceplate opens up, comfortable and came in under $200.00. Apparently it's vastly superior to the $150 HJC he bought that rapidly became very noisy.

Nolan might be a decent alternative to the, I think, overblown prices of some of the big name helmets.

It'd be a nice to see a comprehensive test of a plethora of helmets like Motorcyclist did back in the '80s.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hmmm...I've owned several Shoei's and one Arai over the last 15 or 20 yrs (Bells before that) and danged if I've EVER had a truly quiet helmet. Guys...earplugs - they work very well.

I finally converted to a flip open helmet last yr. The Schuberth (sp?) did not fit in any size. Ditto for the Shoei version. Settled on an HJC Symax. Very comfy and works with my glasses (reason for the conversion). But wow is it loud. And the dark smoke faceshield takes on a nasty whitish glow when riding into the sun. Oh well. Still waiting for a helmet that does the following: ventilate well in the hot, humid SE US summers, has a top quality faceshield and works well with eyeglasses.

Dag nab it! Either mfgs never think this stuff through OR building a better helmet is a lot harder than it looks. I'm starting to suspect the latter....

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I've got the Schuberth Concept which is one of the best helmets I've ever owned. The Schuberth needed just one hand to flip up the chin bar where the Nolan needed two. They may have changed that.

I just bought the new Nolan N40 Classic 3/4 for riding the geezer glide. I really like it. It has a visor and a retractable faceshield.

I think I've got 8 helmets now so I'm working on opening my own store!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Man, that sucker has a chinbar! It makes Ebass look like Dark Helmet (Movie: Spaceballs).

Fit is the second-most important feature of a hat. For me, I have a list of choices that contains one item. ARAI. Between the quality of construction, and my odd-shaped melon, I am happy with it.

And, as the boss at ARAI told me on the phone after I sent him my last hat (post-crash), "You certainly got your money's worth out of this helmet!"

He wasn't even close. Seeing my wife and kids after suffering a head-on collision is priceless.

IMHO, Price is not the entering argument here. As the old Bell ads said, "If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."

GLOAT: I'm leaving this afternoon fo the Toy Truck IMS in Atlanta! BwaaHaHaHa!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but Motorcyclist did an extensive test of helmets back in the 80's. They used a machine designed to test helmet performance in a collision. They found out an interesting fact. The level of protection afforded by a helmet was not proportional to its price. Some cheaper helmets protected the skull better than some of the most expensive ones.

They also discovered that helmets designed for racing speeds (Snell) sometimes were less effective at speeds below 100mph than the DOT helmets designed for lower speeds. This had to do with the stiffness of the liner. A racing certified helmet may be a poorer choice than a plain DOT one if you don't ride at extreme speed normally.

And having one that fits properly is probably more important than who made the thing.

I'd like to see someone do this sort of independent testing again. It's been 20 years, after all. Which helmets actually perform the best? And which manufacturers are blowing smoke?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Bravo EBass FULL FACE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Thank you for coming to your senses and realizing that a full-face is your best bet. Unfornuately there are many cruiser/poser riders who are too vain to wear a full-face. Longride comes to mind. For those of you who doubt the value of full-face helmets, I beg you to read "David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling " He sites a German study where they looked at head injuries, specifically the location of impact. Over 45% involved the face, chin, etc.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
travis, the "flip front" of your Nolan may still work, but chances are pretty slim that your helmet will if you "smack" your head on the asphalt again. The crush liner of your helmet has served it's purpose, and is now probably worthless. You'd be smart to replace your beloved Nolan ASAP. VWW

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read the Snell M2000 spec. Unlike SA2000 (the auto spec), it isn't race related. The anvils they test the helmet on are for things like the ground and curbs. (SA2000 gets things like roll bars. It also has to survive multiple hits and fires, which M2000 doesn't).

FIA specs, thats a race thing...is there one for motorcycle helmets?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I haven't seen this test, but I suspect that if you hit ANYTHING with your head at 100+mph, you are S.O.L., with or without a helmet. Taking this into account, I would think that a helmet would have to be more protective on the road, where the chances of one's melon colliding with stationary and mega mass objects (cars & SUV's) is more likely.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.