Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt the same way when I started to ride again, but I skipped the ear piercing.

And what, no MSF class?

·
Registered
137 Posts
And it just had the be a Harley. the motorcycle choice of people who know nothing about motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Except maybe that:

A) If he decides to sell it, he may make money, and

B) Harleys, with their low Cg and low RPM grunt are very easy to ride, and a good choice for a beginner (with the necessary $$).

Other than that, yeah, he should've done what too many kids do and buy a sportbike and learn quickly what "terminal velocity" means.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Too bad you couldn't have intervened in time and jammed your own narrow view of what a motorcycle is down his throat.

Is he wearing the wrong kind of earring too?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey now, before ya get the torches out consider the fact that he might be correct (even though the HD bashing does get old). IMO his basic concept sounds plausable. It seems that most first time older riders tend to purchase HD products. This is just a gut assesment, I have no studies to back it up. But most first time bikers are probably surrounded by buddies on HD, it would make sense that they get an HD.

I still don't get the HD'istas, and the fetish thing.

Good for the old guy, I hope he gets some training though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, like dude, didn't ya know,....everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has to start out on a SV650. It's a well known fact.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good for him. He worked hard he deserves it. A 883 Sportster is not a bad bike for a beginner but he should take the MSF course. Perhaps they don't have a MSF class close by. The ear piercing may be too blue state though for Iowa :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree. I know two people, one a women, that started out on a Sportster 883. They are both safe good riders. A the women looks great on that bike.

Something about a girl on a Harley dressed in black leather makes my juices flow....

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Buz, I haven't seen you this worked up since the Espresso ran out at the local Starbucks. Smithrob is right. Maybe when we all grow up, we can be as knowledgable as he is about motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I like Harleys. However, the "resale" thing is way over estimated. Come to N. CA and you can find many bikes for 16-17k that the owner put 23+ into.

Maybe % loss doesn't look too bad. I rather lose 3k on a sportbike that 6k on a HD.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
"The One" is coming over for dinner tonight.

We'll be at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills Sat. night if you care to pop over for a drink.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Being from a blue state (New York), I can tell you about blue states. It depends on where you live in Iowa. In the Des Moines area, things tend to be blue and the state does have a Democrat Governor. The other thing is out here, it seems to me there are a disproportionate number of Harleys compared to what I used to see in NY. Having a Harley here is no big deal.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Slow news day, huh. What's the next post gonna be:

"Man replaces valve stem caps on his motorcycle"

"Man thinks about going for a ride on his motorcycle, changes his mind and watches Law and Order re-runs instead"

"Man knocks over mirror with his motorcycle, looks down and sees own genitalia for first time in thirty years"

News please, Steven....

please

1 - 20 of 22 Posts