Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: MC Chase ends in Death/Riot

High speed chases are dangerous to both the suspect and the police. Here in Oklahoma we lost a State Trooper a few years back during one which entered the west bound lanes of I-40. They were headed east.

The local, county and state policies have changed to not pursue in most cases.

My hat’s off to Benton Township Police Chief Jimmie Coburn for taking the action to stop this extreme risk to public safety. To bad the policy wasn’t in place before this rider’s bad decision cost him his life.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, start a riot. that really is a way to make people sympathetic to your cause. It's just another excuse to burn down a neighborhood for no reason. You don't go on a rampage because of something like this, you air your grievences like a human being, not like an animal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Man, does this look good for motorcyclists everywhere. NOT!

I ride a sportbike, but I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if some squids shouldn't be allowed to buy them. (I can't believe I said that)

Thanks to squids with exhibitionist riding habits, the police are getting so hostile toward everyone on a sport bike. Though I'm 37 with half-gray hair, cops look at me like a 'possible suspect.'

Thanks squids! NOT.

·
Registered
473 Posts
let me get this straight ...

1) some squid on a sportbike tries to run from the cops at speeds in excess of 100 mph, all because of a little weed and a suspended license.

2) he eats it and dies.

3) people riot because of police misconduct.

i'm sorry folks, but this is definitely NOT police misconduct. it's clearly a case of natural selection at work. hopefully the lad was removed from the gene pool before he had a chance to breed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
High speed chases by the police for non-violent offences and minor traffic violations have got to stop! In many of these situations inocent by-standers are hurt or killed.

There are other ways to deal with it, helicopters, radios, road bloks, what have you, but putting the citizens at large in danger because of anticuated police regulations is not the way to resolve it, I am not condoning the rioting that took place in Michigan, that definetly is not the way to resolve such problems, dialogue and peaceful demonstrations would be a lot more effective and civilized. One of the big reasons for the increase of this type of chase, has to be blamed on all of the TV shows depicting that kind of behaviour, it gives people the idea that it is ok to run from the police.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Little cart before the horse

Without pulling someone over, it'd be difficult to tell whether the suspect was in violation of a minor offense or was wanted for murder.

I think this is another Audi/Ford media hype phenomenon. What are the actual risks involved in high-speed chases? How many take place without injury/death? What is the risk of being killed during a high speed chase?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You don't riot because you want sympathy. You riot because you're so angry you just can't contain yourself any longer. Benton Harbor is one of the crummiest places in Michigan I've been, probably worse off than Detroit.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

While a fleeing suspect may, or may not, be wanted for a serious crime the police sould not put the public at large in danger to apprehend a suspected criminal. Several years ago an innocent woman was run over by a highway patroman who was chasing a speeding motorcyclist in Redding CA. Imagine the public outrage if a police officer shot at a fleeing shoplifter in a crowded shoping mall. VWW

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Yeah, start a riot. that really is a way to make people sympathetic to your cause. It's just another excuse to [throw a bunch of tea off a ship into the harbor] for no reason. You don't go on a rampage because of something like this, you air your grievences like a human being, not like an animal."

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: let me get this straight ...

You really think this kid deserved to die because he didn't want to get caught with a little weed? Kinda harsh aren't you? Why are police justified in chasing someone at over 100mph for driving on a suspended. Obviously the guy shouldn't have run, but surely the cops have bigger fish to fry.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am going to admit up front that I'm taking this opportunity to whip out my soap box. You have been warned.

A skew cause for this entire incident which I have not seen addressed is the state of drug law in this country. The penalties for posession of small quantities of marijuana are so wildly out of proportion with the seriousness of the crime, that it seems possible to me that our dead squid here may have felt that the risk of dying in a high speed chase was a better risk than being pulled over.

Due to minimum sentences imposed by the federals, it is entirely possible that however little weed it was he had on him, he was facing a 20 year jail term. I think it is not unreasonable to speculate that in the first adrenaline panic of seeing those flashy blue lights, the prospect of using the extremely fast peice of machinery that you're riding to escape 20 years in jail (and rather likely the additional bonus punishment of contracting AIDS) could seem like a good idea.

I feel that there is no difference from a "constitutional authority to regulate" POV between alcohol and marijuana. It required a constitutional amendment to enact the prohibition of alcohol because the federal government does not have the consitutional authority to pass such laws. In what way is the enactment of the prohibition of marijuana less subject to that requirement for the specific granting of authority by consitutional amendment?

-Kawazuki

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Sadly what you say is true Abe. There are plenty of examples of police execution which are chronicled in the whackem and stackem section of serriatimes.com. VWW

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: let me get this straight ...

THEY DID NOT KNOW HE WAS SUSPENDED UNTIL AFTER THE CRASH. THE COPS ONLY KNEW THEY HAD A RUNNER, FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT. HE COULD HAVE JUST PULLED A ROBBERY OR MURDER. UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THEY DID NOT KNOW THE SIZE OF THE FISH UNTIL HE CRASHED.

IF YOU RUN YOU SHOULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES REGARDLESS OF THE SEVERITY.

·
Registered
85 Posts
EVERY CHASE I HAVE SEEN ON TV ENDS IN A CRASH OR WORSE. HOW DOES THAT SEND THE OK MESSAGE. EVERY COP WILL TELL YOU, A RUNNER IS AN UNKNOWN. IT IS VERY RARE THAT THE COPS KNOWS WHO THE RUNNER IS AND WHY HE IS RUNNING. IF WE SEND A MESSAGE THAT RUNNERS WILL NOT BE CHASED IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All this talk about unfair laws and bigger fish to fry is crap. We have to play by the rules as they excist today. The police have a job to do. If someone behaves in a way that causes the police concern then so be it. Innocent people tend not to run, they tend to pull over and wonder, what the hell did I do?

Trying to justify bad behavior is mental mastrabation at it's best. The facts remain, Cop lights up a guy, guy has done something wrong, guy either crashes or reconsiders and pulls over. The smart ones pull over and live to see another day. And yes they face OUR justice system and so be it.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.