Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe I'm off base here but what's Kaw up to???

The zx11 and current (old?) zx12 were great high speed sport touring bikes - like the CBRXX and Hyabubba. Why are they trying to make the 12 more sporty? What's up with the zx9r?

To me they appear to be dropping the ball in their model distinction. Why not up the 9r to 999cc (or something) and slash the weight to compete with R1's and GSXR1000's while keeping the big bad sporty tourer zx11/12/13 or whatever.

Just my thoughts... kinda biased as I'm reaching the age where the old zx11 is looking more attractive than my GSXR11 ;-)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Why kawa-suzu, why not kawa-harley

This is a very nice bike indeed but nothing that Suzuki could not produce. Are these two companies really adding to each others´ capabilities? In fact its HD that would benefit most by joining in with someone that is actually able to do the engineering bit.

The V-Rod is nice enough but V-Max beats it by power, torque and lightness, although it is old enough to have legally sex with in most countries.

HD´s badge & hype combined to some cutting edge, that would sell even in Europe.

cruiz-euro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Why kawa-suzu, why not kawa-harley

well, my MAX is a 97, quite modified and very quick. If you've ever had the opournitunity to whack it open on a Vmax and float the front wheel through first and second while leaving a black patch of hard earned money on the road, you just might say that is better than sex...might...however, this is still illegal in my neck of the woods...lol....I like the black...loose the gold......never been a big Kawi fan but this looks like a nice bike for some. I rode my buddy's new ZX12 two days ago and was impressed with it's feel. nice ride but not as sporty as an R1 by any means (I have one). A great sport tourrer for sure...IMHO....for what that's worth...lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anybody know anything about the direction Kawi's taking with the ZX-7R? Rumors have been circulating from all fronts that either there'll be a totally-new Superbike platform to be unveiled at this year's Milan show or discontinue the ZX-7R (carry-over remaining '01 models to be used solely to support race teams in '02)?

Another rumor has Kawi concentrating on a 4-stroker to enter GP racing in '03 (hence, the reason for carrying-over remaining '01 models). Guess we'll have to wait until the Milan show. By the way, check out Yamaha's new R1 teaser banner at their website.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A few updates and Bold New Graphics on the ZX 12. Yawn. When are you guys going to break the really big news, like the new MZ 125? Also, I've noticed a remarkable lack of interest on your part in the Ural or the Rokon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems like the site has gone downhill since the pay stuff came about. No offense guys at all but damn! The content quality has sucked bigtime for a few months now. I donated and don't feel like I am getting my monies worth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This has potential

Agreed. With a hard bag option (even Givi would do), since Honda is wringing another year out of the old ST1100 for the US, this could have a lot of potential. Give it a comfortable seat, windshield, a long valve maint. interval and >200 mile range, and I'm interested. No shaft, like the ST1100, FJR1300 & R1150RT, but for 10,200 to $10,300 I could overlook that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rokon has a very comprehinsive web site, complete with history! Don't know about MZ though....a German company with old Yamaha motors now, right?

How about some news about the replacement for the Honda ST1100? Or Yamaha's FJR1300 coming to the US?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the new ZX12R, the mirrors are way better, and there's nothing wrong with making it a little sportier. As for the "new" ZX-9/6, I am not sure. OK so they have made a lot of changes to ZX9R (more than 140 detail changes, including engine, chassis etc.) but why did they keep the styling same? I like the look of the current ZX9R, but I think with the new CBR-RR, R1 and current GSX-R Thou, they need to underline the changes with new styling; I am not sure if the buyers will pass the other open class bikes to buy this one. If the price is right, then it might be another story...

And what's with the new ZX6R which is not a 600 but actually a 636? It might make sense for someone who wants a 600 package with more torque but wouldn't you rather go and buy a 750 instead? I read in MCN that it makes sense when you consider the insurance brackets and that it is for Europe only. They are also taking themselves out of the European 600 supersports championships, although I am not sure about the world supersports. Weird.

Why o why don't they upgrade the ZX7R? For a minimum amount of investment and R&D they could make it lighter and faster by using parts from other bikes (wheels, brakes, clocks etc) and modifying the chassis/engine a little (better comfort, more agility, better suspension and of course more power etc) without losing the best traits of the current model. This upgrade probably would not make it a rival to the current GSX-R 750 but it would probably give it a run for its money and fill a gap between the 900 and 600. Please Kawasaki, do it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the new ZX12R, the mirrors are way better, and there's nothing wrong with making it a little sportier. As for the "new" ZX-9/6, I am not sure. OK so they have made a lot of changes to ZX9R (more than 140 detail changes, including engine, chassis etc.) but why did they keep the styling same? I like the look of the current ZX9R, but I think with the new CBR-RR, R1 and current GSX-R Thou, they need to underline the changes with new styling. I am not sure if the buyers will pass the other open class bikes to buy this one. If the price is right, then it might be another story...

And what's with the new ZX6R which is not a 600 but actually a 636? It might make sense for someone who wants a 600 package with more torque but wouldn't you rather go and buy a 750 instead? I read in MCN that it makes sense when you consider the insurance brackets and that it is for Europe only. They are also taking themselves out of the European 600 supersports championships, although I am not sure about the world supersports. Weird.

Why o why don't they upgrade the ZX7R? For a minimum amount of investment and R&D they could make it lighter and faster by using parts from other bikes (wheels, brakes, clocks etc) and modifying the chassis/engine a little (better comfort, more agility, better suspension and of course more power etc) without losing the best traits of the current model. This upgrade probably would not make it a rival to the current GSX-R 750 but it would probably give it a run for its money and fill a gap between the 900 and 600. Please Kawasaki, do it!

Arrow

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is tempting!

Although I really Love my ZRX1200, I would also be tempted to trade up to the ZZR. I probably would wait a year after it is out to get more time on the Z-REX, however that ZZR is very classy looking...Nice color too;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kawasaki have gone totally to the dogs (in the sportsbike class anyway). All their machines are way inferior to the opposition and they are always one step behind the competition. The ZX12 is a pointless bike - not good enough to cut it as a proper sportsbike and not comfy enough to make it as a sports tourer, not the fastest bike either (the Busa is quicker in a straight line) & hence the terrible sales worldwide. Kawasaki badly needs a new superbike. The ZX9 is a tugboat compared to the GSXR1000, R1 and Blade and the ZX7R is just to old, fat & slow to put in the same sentence as a GSXR750. What Kawasaki need to do is surprise everyone and bring out a 165KG, 150BHP update of the ZX7R & paint it green!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually ZX12R and Hayabusa are equal in straightline performance and I think it's a nice bike. Latest improvements will probably make it even better but I agree it occupies a grey area (with Hayabusa in fact); it's not a sport tourer and it's not a race-replica. But this may not be a bad thing though.

As for the calling ZX9 a tug boat; aren't you being a little harsh? It still gets good reviews in magazines. It's comfortable, fast (faster in straight line than R1&Blade) and most suited to street riding. Latest improvements will hopefully make it a better sportsbike but you definitely have a point. What Kawasaki needs is a bad-ass hooligan of a sportsbike. Your definition of a new ZX7R sounds wonderful, although I doubt they will even update it. Kawasaki is going to loose its performance image (or has it already?) if it keeps going like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kawasaki ZX12 – hmmm, am I the only one that thinks this is a totally pointless bike? The only ‘more pointless’ bike I can think of is the FZ-1 (at least the big kawa will blow off R1s etc.) Isn't it typical that MO love it (!!) and did a feature on an even more pointless more pointless bike – a FZ1 with 1500 buck thrown at it….Mega Pointless RR. And isn't it not pointless loading up a story on MO that is taken from the MCN website - why not just go to the MCN website instead. Pointless?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.