Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: AMA Miguel DuHamel and Sean at Fontana

Dude, had no idea you were gonna race AMA pro stuff! Did I miss somethin, or is this new to all the MOfo's? Anywho, good luck. Wish it was me.

BTW, I have a query for all the beautiful MOrons out there in stuntland...

My '01 SVS is always slipping out of gear during wheelies after I get it to balance point and shift up to second. I think it's just cause all the load is taken off the driveline when I get to balance point, but I've been trying to make sure I shift it good and hard, and I even started using the clutch. This sometimes makes me rev the nuts off it out of insticnt when it slips out, and always causes the front to smack down, making my poor forks clunk as they bottom out. Is there some kind of adjustment I could make to the tranny to make it, um, tighter? Or is this just normal and I should learn to accept it? My buddy's CBR don't do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

BTW, I should add that I never actually asked him if his bike slipped out of gear, I've just never seen him having the problem. But then again, he hasn't quite got the hang of balancing it to keep from having to accelerate yet. Not like any of that matters. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Yep AMA Pro 750 Superstock, on a ZX-6R. This is a new thing that Kawasaki offered me, after the 600 Shootout at the Fontana infield course.

As for your SV-650 problem;

Are you using full Synthetic oil? For some reason when I ran Mobil 1 4stroke Motorcycle Oil, my SV-650 would slip out of gear under race conditions, I switched to PRO Honda HP4 oil, and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Good luck to you Sean

Damn I wish I could be there. I'm attending an extremely inconvenient business conference in Orlando. Crap! I hate missing races.

Damn I just realized I can't go to Sonoma either! Stupid work! I guess I'm not a real biker because work is getting in the way of more important things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: It has two wheels for a reason

Thanks for your concern. Really. About the only thing I can say in my defense is that at least I don't do stunts in traffic, and rarely on public roads at all. I'm more of an airport service road, get-together-w/ friends-and-see who-can-do-the-slowest-twelve 'o clock kinda guy. No interstate mono-wheeling outta this kid, nosiree.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Spank you much for the advice, but I actually have it filled up with HP4 right now.

I've got a buddy that's sponsored in 125 amature by a dealer up here, so he gets oil and filters and stuff for me super cheap. Only Honda stuff, though, he races a CR.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Go Sean!

Too bad I can't make it this year. Any chance of getting another ride, at Sears Point (or whatever the hell they call it now)? Maybe depends on how you do at Fontana?

Anyway, this is your chance to shut up all those wankers who whined about the extra 36cc! I'll be cheering you on.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's an MO-exclusive proverb for ya, Sean.

Good luck, Sean San! May you keep the rubber side down, or at least in periodic contact with the tarmac. Most importantly, may you also smoothly stomp some major arse for all of us who are with you in spirit, but not in ability.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Torquey

Hey Bob,

Here's the latest on the mods. I installed the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, slipons and 203 cam. Also included was H-D's download for the fuel injection.

Since a stock H-D breathes through a hole about the size of a pack of gum, the freer-breathing engine was immediately noticeable. At first it didn't seem quicker but then I noticed I kept running up the back of all the cars in front of me! The is a noticeable increase in torque starting about 2500 and continuing through 4500 rpm. H-Ds dyno charts in the catalog state about 88 ft-lbs and 75 hp. That's an increase of about 18 ft-lbs and 15 hp over stock. I haven't done a long enough trip to determine mileage but it should stay the same.

One change I'm making is the mufflers. The S/E mufflers are just too loud for my taste. At part throttle they're ok but under accleration it's pretty loud. I've already ordered the "touring mufflers" and will put the Screamin' Eagles on ebay.

Hell if I was going to be in town for the race at Fontana I'd let you take it for a spin.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Torquey

What effect on performance do you expect from the touring mufflers? Will you have to re-program the EFI?

I agree with your concern over noise levels, especially in an urban environment. I might be more willing to go marginally louder where I live, because there isn't really anyone to annoy!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Torquey

Well from what I hear the Touring Muffs perform just as good as the louder, S/E muffs. I'm sure H-D has to tailor the sound of the S/E muffs to please your garden variety poser. They probably do a car alarm test or something. What's amazing is that the S/E muffs are quiet compared to other aftermarket pipes.

I won't have to reprogram the FI. The touring muffs flow more than stock. Even if it was a couple hp sacrifice I'm willing to forego that for a quieter sound with my "gentleman's Harley."

My Ducati makes enough damn racket. Just the clutch rattling through the carbon fiber cover is enough to wake the dead as you well know.

I think on a Dyna Sport or something like that a little more volume wouldn't be inappropriate. I just don't want to drown out my cd player!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Good luck to you Sean

That's not far from the truth. I was at a local bar/restaraunt one evening and this couple parks in front of the joint which has an outdoor patio area. They were dressed in full Harley regalia from head to toe. Leather vests and the whole works.

The only problem was that they parked in front of the bar in their 4-Runner! I guess the doo-rag was to keep his hair from getting messed up driving his truck with the windows down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.